Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a new car

Re: Need a new car

Sorry to hear about your accident. I just purchased a Kia SUV, love it!!! An SUV is better protection than a small car. With so many big SUVs out there, going up against one in one would be BEST!

Very Active Member

Got my Mazda6 iSport in January of 2015 for around $22,000. It has the 2.5L I-4 engine that has 185 hp/185 torques which gets 34.3 MPG in mixed highway/city driving. Lotsa space, very comfortable, and fun to drive. The 6-speed manual is VERY slick too.
    Doug Adamavich

Blog Entries

If you are able, it might be worth waiting until 2017 models are out. It seems there are lots of new high tech safety features, sensors and cameras that are supposed to be available in the 2017 models.

In the non-luxury large SUV category (3 seats) the 2017 Mazda CX-9 looks interesting and the Toyota Highlander will offer new tech safety features down the model line. I haven't read much about the American SUV models like Traverse, Encore, and Explorer, but they may be following suit. Some of the luxury SUVs may also add these safety features.
    Some guys they just give up living and start dying little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up and go racin’ in the street. (Bruce Springsteen, 1978)

If your neck hurts a lot & the Ins. company will pay for pain & suffering --- get the Subaru. I just purchased a Honda CR_V 27 - 30 mpg purchased for under $ 24,750. And heated seats ac sunroof blind spot camera & backup camera. Very reltable in the long run. Much more reliable than my wife's $70,000 Audi Q7 !!!!

Blog Entries

Love my Prius! Not a Democrat, but love to save on gas!! Brand new in November 2015 for exactly $25,000 - gets 51mpg going 75 on the freeway, more when I go slower, lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Love my Prius! Not a Democrat, but love to save on gas!! Brand new in November 2015 for exactly $25,000 - gets 51mpg going 75 on the freeway, more when I go slower, lol.
    Nice! The Prius was really a clever design. The problem with gasoline engine efficiency comes from throttling loss. The Toyota engineers went around this with a low torque engine that runs near full throttle at all times with added electrical power available on demand as well as other energy conserving systems.

Blog Entries

Nice information - all I can tell you is it works. Since I have a 60 mile (one way) commute to work, I needed an inexpensive, reliable car. Which is also now a cute car, since I have lots of Pink Hibiscus Flower stickers on it, lol.

Sounds as if a Prius is your ,60 mile/day commute, future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Love my Prius!
    I love my wife's Prius. We got her Prius new in 2014. I was pretty sure I'd hate the Prius as ...

• I had looked at Toyotas multiple times before and found them lacking ...
      • 1996 - bought a Honda Accord as our first family car
      • 1997 - bought a Honda Civic
      • Early 2000's - upgraded the Accord to the Odyssey

• We actually did buy a Toyota Sienna minivan in the late 2000's when we had run the Odyssey into the ground and it confirmed everything I had felt about Toyotas - loose driving feel, our local Toyota dealer's service shop has crap service, and the damn thing had problem after problem

... but the Prius is such a good car, drives well, is VERY roomy for its size and, so far, reliable. Even the dealer's service bay seems to have improved. I'll give it my highest praise - it is such a good car, it deserves to be called a Honda!

That's quite the turnaround on the prius.

Try Honda Civic ..

Subaru Outback..... plenty of room to carrying swim gear.
    C.J. Rushman
    Great Lakes Zone Chair
    Kentucky LMSC Chair
    ASCA Level III USA/Masters Certified Coach
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those of you giving advise DO realize that this thread is nine years old?
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Honda & toyota & subaru hold their value much mioe than other brands.

Participating Member

I love my Mini-Cooper Countryman ALL 4. It is considered a "crossover." It is smaller than an SUV, but bigger than a tiny sports car. It's four wheel drive. And it's really a cute car...a real head turner.

I think the Forester is also a nice, reliable car, and so is the Toyota Rav 4.

Blog Entries

I recently traded in a Civic for a Subaru Outback and am not looking back at all. This car is all utility and I love it.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123