Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new car

Re: Need a new car

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    I have a Civic Hybrid, at 4+ years old it easily gets 45-50 mpg on highway, a little less in the city. The fuel economy is also pretty temperature-sensitive (ie, maybe 3-5 mpg worse in the winter months).
    Some of the difference in your fuel economy may be due not to temperature but to oxygenated fuel:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~124

Many regions in the U.S. (perhaps all regions) have different formulations of gasoline for the winter and summer months. Winter gasoline is partially oxygenated to compensate for higher emissions when a car's engine is cold. In other words, winter gasoline is slightly "pre-burned" to reduce emissions and it does not have as much energy as summer gasoline. This causes a slight drop in gas mileage in the winter months, sometimes as much as 1-2 miles per gallon.
    My old 1993 Subie is particularly sensitive to oxygenated fuel. I know it's the fuel and not the temperature because it usually happens around the end of October or beginning of November, which is before it gets very cold around here. And because, like every good geek engineer, I have a spreadsheet (with graphs) showing the Subie's mileage for every tank of gas of its 15-year life.

Here's another article on oxygenated fuel:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

toyota camry 4 cyllinder

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyrde View Post
    Sadly, yesterday a teen driver pulled out from a side road yesterday and now my car I just paid off two weeks ago is in bits and pieces. Luckily it went down fighting and protected me. I am bruised and sore, but am here(backboards are horribly uncomfortable for a ride in an ambulance).

Anyway, I need a new car, and since I was not looking at all because I was happy with my car I really have no idea what to get.

So suggestions on what have been good reliable cars. I don't like big cars, mine was a little sports car, but I think I may want to go into a 4 door sedan as our SUV is getting older and we need something we can all go in. Driving wise I live 12 miles from the town I work,swim and shop at, so more than 50% highway miles. Was not sure if a hybrid is worth the cost with so much highway driving.

So, what is reliable, decent fuel economy, is not huge, handles well, looks nice, and is under 25k?

Scion Xb

$18k new, excellant safety features, great gas mileage, loads of room....and cool!
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Very Active Member

I usually see Camrys in the left lane going slow and holding up traffic. They do this even if the driver is not talking on the phone.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My dad has this car and loves it! He gets 35 city mpg...and there really is tons of room. Even with the maximum 5 ppl in the car it feels roomy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Scion Xb

$18k new, excellant safety features, great gas mileage, loads of room....and cool!
    Nothing to it but to do it

Very Active Member

Jeep Commander - fun? You must be joking.

The Nissan Stanza was last made in 1992.

One thing about cars today is that what was good/bad 10-15 years ago may have nothing to do with today's cars. Look at Hyundai. They arrived about the same time as the Yugo. Hyundais were not very good, even terrible initially. But the Elantra was just rated higher than the Corolla by Consumer Reports. And the Sonata and Sante Fe are both high scoring in their class.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

Very Active Member david.margrave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dorothy, how are you feeling now? Fully recovered I hope.

There are rumors about the 3rd generation prius, due in a year or two, having lithium ion batteries instead of nickel metal hydride, which should be a huge performance increase. To give you an idea, the tesla roadster is a high end (~$100k) electric sports car, with lithium ion batteries, and which can out-accelerate most gas-powered cars because of the high power-to-mass ratio of the batteries.

We have a Hyundai Sante Fe, and love it, and my crunched up Tiburon was a hyundai, also loved it. Drove a Sonata last night, and it was a nice car, I liked it, and Hyundai likes to give incentives to their customers, so that is a possibility. Today I am suppose to drive the Mazda3 and possible 6, but it is storming fairly badly.

And Paul, I love the Scions, and really wanted to get one 4 years ago, but my husband just hates the looks and said nonononono. I have not been married 26 years by going against his strong feelings on things.

As far as how I am doing, fairly well. Bruises are getting pretty, but really considering how bad the car looks, I am looking good. I don't remember this, but the police said judging by the cars, I tried to avoid impact, which saved the girl in the passenger side. They said she would have been in a very bad way if I had not done that. I hit theirs closer to the front, sent them into a spin, which banged me again and sent me toward a huge pole, which I DID see, and missed by inches. My aches and pains that I see a chiro about are more pronounced now that the whiplash stuff is better, so made an appointment to see her today.

I have a Taurus rental, and paid a bit extra to get a nice car, and it is very nice, and way out of my price range. Sad thing, dealing with all this stuff has left me no swimming time this week......

I am here to tell the tale, and the girls are OK as well, so that is what counts.
    Husband is a bit clingy this week. Walking up and seeing his wife backboarded, and car demolished is a scary thing.

Hopefully this picture works of my car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallcar.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	996  

Blog Entries

This brings back bad memories. My beloved, and paid for, Acura was totalled last Fall leaving us in a similar plight. My new car looks a whole lot like my wife's old car. I'm doing my part to encourage higher oil prices driving a beheamouth SUV. Then, my wife bought a car that takes premium gas so I have no words of advice, other than to not buy a SUV or a premium gas car.

Yes, Geek, this is all a royal pain. And yes, there was one car that said it took only premium, and I backed away very quickly.....I don't like driving a big car, this Taurus is a bit big for me, although I think I am picking up all my daughter's friends today, something I could not do in my little car. If it would stop raining everyday, and my neck gets better, I will be biking to work.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    My beloved, and paid for, Acura
    Acuras are nice cars...I owned a 1990 Integra for almost 15 years and it was great. Red and sporty, I am convinced this car is the reason my wife agreed to our first ever date.

I don't know the current situation, but back then Integras were cheaper than Accords and looked sharper -- I believe they had the same engine -- and Accords were cheaper than Civics are now.

Very Active Member Thrashing Slug's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My VW Jetta TDI gets 45+ mpg, mostly city driving. Up in the 60s and beyond on the highway. Diesel is expensive, but the added mileage is worth it IMO. Plus it's a turbo so it's got good acceleration. I highly recommend it if you can find one.

OK, time to go swim
    -
    "The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -- Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Honda Civic or if you absolutely insist on something bigger Honda Accord.

I have a Toyota RAV4 and I like it. It's great if you're looking for a smallish SUV. I do mostly highway driving and get between 25-30 mpg. People seem to really like the Prius, too, if you're looking for a hybrid. It's under $25K and has plenty of room. Expect to get about 45-50 mpg.
    Heading over to the Honda Dealer today. The Civic's look cute, and good gas mileage.

Blog Entries

So, here's the craziest notion of them all. I can't really figure out how much you drive but, and here goes, used SUVs have absolutely plummetted in value. A used SUV, I just read, goes for over 20% less than it did just months ago. This is opposed to gas sipping cars, which are holding their values very nicely.

So, your freakonomic lesson for the day, buying a SUV when gas prices are at an all-time high might actually be a smarter buy financially, especially if you don't plan on owning it for a long time.

Plus, you get the added bonus of aggravating the tree-huggers.

Good luck at the Honda dealership tonight, Dorothy! It's so funny how people get so attached to their particular brand of car. I do LOVE my Honda!

FYI to those who notice poorer gas mileage in the winter, it is not due to oxygenates added to gasoline... oxygenates are a year-round addition, and typically the max allowed % does not change depending on the season of the year.

But there is a difference between summer and winter gasoline in most states and that is vapor pressure. Summer gasoline vapor pressure specification is lower than winter to reduce summertime emissions. In winter the specification increases, refiners add in butane up to a vapor pressure limit. Butane is A LOT cheaper than other gasoline components and it is LIGHT. So winter gasoline has less 'bang' per volume than summer and you're going to get reduced gas mileage.

Jayhawk, Oct/Nov sounds about right for you to see a dip in fuel mileage. Refiners start producing winter grade gasoline around the midwest in early/mid-Sept and it takes about a month to month and a half by the time the gasoline gets from the refinery to the terminals to the distributors to the gas stations and into your tank.

Thanks to everyone for the input! It has been helpful and entertaining. My car was officially totaled today, with the appraiser saying that the two cars "hit incredibly hard" yikes! Guess I am lucky to walk away, and I believe being in good shape helps.

Good news, Carrie I got the Honda. I put a deposit down a 2 door Civic EX which will be built next week. There might be a week of figuring out one car in the family waiting for it, but of all the cars I drove, this one made me happy, and I knew when I drove it, that this would be the one to get. So, my Tiburon is being dragged to salvage, DH was checking all the nooks and crannies before they took it, and pieces just were falling off it, sad.

The other driver is having a tough time with migraines from the concussion, and she is a tiny girl, so also quite sore and of course mentally feeling quite bad. Her Mom was there picking up plates at the same time DH was. I wish I could have been there so her Mom could see that I was doing OK. In fact will pack my suit and goggles and try to get some swimming done in Vegas next week.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty View Post
    ...by the time the gasoline gets from the refinery to the terminals to the distributors to the gas stations and into your tank.
    Speaking of which... Last night, lightning struck a gasoline storage tank at a pipeline terminal here. Take a look at these photos:

http://www.kansascity.com/static/ima...ineFire_final/

Very Active Member

The Civic is a very good choice. It is a fine car, kinda sporty, with a great engine. And it's not a Camry.

Drove the Accord....it was very Camry like, did not like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast