Thread: Swimming and Weight Lifting

Participating Member

Swimming and Weight Lifting

Hello there,

I am new here and I am an amateur when it comes to swimming; this is why I would be grateful for your experienced advice.

Four years back I used to be a semi-professional squash player. I used to train almost daily and lift weights, upper and lower body on alternate days. However, I stopped as a result of a meniscus injury in my left knee... and I got busy with life.

I recently went on a diet for weight loss and started going to the gym. I tried using low-impact machines such as the bicycle. However, my pain is quite loud. I have to wear knee pads most of the time and sometimes walking too much may be an issue.

I decided to take up swimming as it is almost a no-impact sport for my knee. However I am not sure how to coordinate the weight lifting with the swimming. I intend to do 3 to 4 times a week of swimming. Is it okay if I weight lift on the same day of swimming? Moreover, if I do, should it be before or after? I am clueless with this regard. (Plus, I have no time for more than 3 to 4 times a week at the gym so I feel predisposed to weight lift on the same days as swimming)

Thanks for the advice.

Very Active Member

Re: Swimming and Weight Lifting

Yellowgirl

If you want to improve your swimming, the following exercises can be done before you get in the water. Specificity of training is very important to improve at any sport or physical activity but you’ll also need to include core exercises that will improve your athleticism / over-all fitness.

The following exercises should be done by all swimmers who want to get faster:

Lunges in streamlined position – Number of repetitions
    Kicks while lying on your back / Ankle Flexing - Timed
    Streamlined Isometrics - Timed
    Sitting up and down in streamlined position – Number of Repetitions
    Isometric EVF and then with stretch cords – Number of Repetitions
    Beginning of Breaststroke / Fly pull with stretch cord – Number of Repetitions
    Sit-ups – Number of Repetitions
    Core rotation exercises / Rotator-cuff exercises – Number of Repetitions (look at these youtube videos)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jDVw-I3J4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KrmO...eature=related

The following exercises need to be done to increase athleticism and to maintain flexibility, balance and symmetry (concentric and eccentric muscle actions).
    Biceps / Triceps
    Lat pull downs / Military Press
    Bench Press and Flys / Back Rows – High and Low
    Hamstring curls / Quad extensions
    Pull-over’s / EVF exercises
    Plantarflexion / Dorsiflexion / Gastrocs/ Soleus
    Abs / Back
    I know it sounds like a lot to do but when you look at the following website, http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html it’ll show you many different exercises you can do to accomplish training the muscle groups listed above. I know you’ll look at all these and wonder how you’ll fit them in the short amount of time you have but you can creatively get all of them done by alternating muscle groups. You can get hurt doing any of these exercises incorrectly or by doing them with too much weight. It’s important to note that when people get injured it’s because they didn’t follow simple weight training guidelines found at this website, http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Guidelines.html

Take everything you read on this and other forums with a grain of salt but I think you’ll have fun trying to create a strength training plan that works for you. Weight training along with running and swimming will help you lose a ton of weight. Good Luck, Coach T.

Participating Member

Thank you very much for your help

Very Active Member

I hope you get where you want to go. Good luck!!!