Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Tour de France

So, I noticed on BBC News it is happening. Nobody cares. Ennui with Landis of the lying eyes and entire teams removed from play because of drug use.

VB

Blog Entries

Re: Tour de France

Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene View Post
    So, I noticed on BBC News it is happening. Nobody cares. Ennui with Landis of the lying eyes and entire teams removed from play because of drug use.

VB
    I love the word "ennui!"

"Je ne regrette rien."

Spends Too Much Time Here Iwannafly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

VB
    I care Vive. I am still watching!

The names all seemed new; is there a fresh crop of cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly View Post
    I care Vive. I am still watching!

Now this is the sport that I am suspicious about the drug use.

The old saying suits cycling and drug use.

Birds of a Feather
    Flock Together.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

You're right Vive, there is a crop of new cyclists. Many of the old names are gone, busted or retired. There are some very competitive cyclists bridging the gap between old and new. David Millar rides for Team Garmin-Chipotle. He is currently 5th in the overall classification and still a very strong contender. Team Garmin-Chipotle has taken a proactive approach to cleaning up the sport. They run their team very transparently and they have an extremely comprehensive doping controls program on top of what the UCI has. If this team can compete with the established teams in the tour, it should set an example for the rest to follow. Otherwise, cycling will be nothing more than professional wrestling on bicycles.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Now this is the sport that I am suspicious about the drug use.
    I love the tour. What an event. Those guys are just insane.

Certainly there have been scandals. But George, it is puzzling that you defend Clemens and other baseball players so strongly but uniformly condemn cyclists. There are fewer scandals in MLB because they turn a blind eye. Cycling seems to be trying to clean up its act while MLB has to be pushed, prodded and bullied into doing so by Congress, who should have better things to do than govern millionaire crybaby liars.

I do not think cycling is worse than many other sports -- track, MLB, NFL...and yes, swimming -- but they seem to catch more cheaters. The more money is involved, the greater the incentive and the more likely that there will be cheaters. In particularly, I would be willing to bet that PED use in MLB and NFL is AT LEAST as rampant as in cycling, and likely much more so, because there is more money and less policing.

That's not to say I wasn't bitterly disappointed by cyclists in the past (Hamilton and Landis in particular).

I loved it even more when the good old Irish guys would line up at the start and kick the spokes out of their competitors bicycles.

I will stand up for cyclists but drug use was rampant in cycling.

If you really knew my true thoughts I think any one who wants to use drugs to enhance their ability - let them. But it should be use them if you want and not regulated by any federation of sports. If the drugs are made illegal let the police deal with it.

Blog Entries

Just as we are talking about how cycling is cracking down to clean up their sport, we get word of the first suspect in this year's tour. Manuel Beltran, riding for Liquigas tested positive for EPO after the first stage. The French anti-doping agency said that he was specifically targeted for testing because his pre-tour blood testing showed abnormal results. I know how pessimistic people are about the efficacy of testing, but things like this show promise in my mind.

I could have provided a link to the news article instead of just plagiarizing it!!! And one more.

Beltran - that's too bad. He was in Lance Armstrong's peleton?
    VB

I also remain fascinated by this event, even though I suspect it is impossible to be competitiive in the GC (overall time) "sans assistance".

For me, Indurain seemed the greatest of all; superhuman, a physiological freak amongst physiologiacal freaks. Then one day in the mountains - poomf - he just cracks like a mere mortal.

If only there could be a level playing field, it truly would be the greatest endurance event on Earth.

We have the Tour de Delta today, Cyclists 5 of these are representing their countries in the Olympics.

I was uptown this morning and met one of the teams at the coffee shop. They were trying to buy their coffee with credit cards. The coffee shop I go to - Beanies - does not accept credit cards, so good old George bought them an assortment of coffees. Most had double shot Cafe Lattes cost me about $40.00

http://tourdedelta.com/ $20,000.00 in prize money.
    Last edited by geochuck; July 12th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Beltran - that's too bad. He was in Lance Armstrong's peleton?
    VB
    He was a member of Armstrong's team at one time, as was Hamilton and Landis. The peloton is a group of cyclists riding together to get the benefit of drafting. Typically a large peloton can maintain greater speed because there are more people to share the work at the lead positions.
    I thought Indurain was a physiological freak also, but Armstrong had some pretty impressive TTs and climbs. I can remember watching him break a few people on big climbs.

Very Active Member

Was Hamilton busted for doping or Heras? It seems like a lot of Armstrong's domestiques have run into problems with doping, although Hindcape seems to be pretty much clean.

I'm kind of hoping Cadel wins this year, he has been so close the last couple of years but ran into a bunch of doping scandals that kept him from winning. The American teams look to be showing strong this year, what with 2 stage wins by Cavendish, and 3 jerseys for Columbia, plus a strong ride by Vandevelde for Garmin-Chipolte.

Very Active Member

"I love the tour. What an event. Those guys are just insane."

My wife is just as insane about watching it. She even wears her state of the art cycling helmet around the house! (I swear I'm making that up).

Actually it looks kinda cute.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowsvils View Post
    Was Hamilton busted for doping or Heras?
    Both.

Tyler Hamilton was busted about 4 years ago, right around the last summer Olympics. It was a big shock (to me at least) because he was always presented as such a squeaky-clean type.

I still remember his 70-mile solo breakaway win on a mountain stage, with a broken collarbone.

Blog Entries

I really enjoy watching the Tour. I just hope I'm not dissapointed in this year's results. But, so far, so clean. The nice thing is that you can catch coverage basically all day long on Versus. The great thing about the coverage is they actually show the stages 99% of the time, no stupid human interest stories, just racing.

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    We have the Tour de Delta today, Cyclists 5 of these are representing their countries in the Olympics.

I was uptown this morning and met one of the teams at the coffee shop. They were trying to buy their coffee with credit cards. The coffee shop I go to - Beanies - does not accept credit cards, so good old George bought them an assortment of coffees. Most had double shot Cafe Lattes cost me about $40.00

http://tourdedelta.com/ $20,000.00 in prize money.
    Well done, George, that was a nice gesture, the sort of thing really defines what sort of guy you are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Both.

Tyler Hamilton was busted about 4 years ago, right around the last summer Olympics. It was a big shock (to me at least) because he was always presented as such a squeaky-clean type.

I still remember his 70-mile solo breakaway win on a mountain stage, with a broken collarbone.
    Yep, and then he briefly tried the Chimera defense, saying that an undeveloped twin caused the anomalous blood results. I do remember that stage Chris. It was impressive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast