Thread: Master's programs in Milwaukee?

Participating Member

Master's programs in Milwaukee?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site. I'm a 24 year old, young professional and I swam in college and in high school and I've stayed pretty active I was just hoping to get back in swim shape again and maybe even compete again.

I'm posting out here in hopes that someone could give me some advice on where I could go to swim in a master's program or a local swim club who holds workouts for guys and gals my age. Anyway any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-brad

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

Re: Master's programs in Milwaukee?

I know some of these entries are old but some are not.

http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimform.php?LMSCID=20

or try here

http://www.swim-wimasters.org/

Participating Member

I moved to Milwaukee about 2 years ago and haven't been able to find a master's program yet.

The links are helpful but many are several years old, specifically the Milwaukee ones. I can't believe a city of this size with this many universities doesn't have a masters team...

Skitch - Thanks for reminding us that we need to update our "Places to Swim". Regarding Masters programs in the Milwaukee area there are a few:
    1.The Southwest YMCA on W. Howard has a program coached by Bill Curtis wcurtis2@wi.rr.com. I'm sorry I don't have any details about time/days.
    2. The biggest group (and maybe the hardest to get into) is the Elmbrook Swim Club which works out of a variety of pools between Elm Grove and Brookfield. Fred Russell is the coach - and a damn good coach at that!
    You can contact him at ebscfredrussell@yahoo.com .
    3. Waukesha Express has a group that practices at the new South High School. That might be a little too far, I don't know exactly where you are.
    4. There's Schroeder in Brown Deer which has a Masters program.
    5. There may be a program at UW-M but I can't say for certain. Same with Marquette. I only know a Masters Swimmer who teaches at Marquette.
    6. You might touch base with Eric Jernberg, who coaches a kids program at one of the inner high schools. He's our Sanction Officer. His e-mail is jernberge@yahoo.com . His phone #'s are at www.swim-wimasters.org/wis_lmsc_officers.htm .

Please let me know if you need more help!

Dick Pitman, Chair, Wisconsin Masters
    608-242-8125, 608-770-2307

Participating Member

Dick - Thank You for the info!

I was contemplating Brookfield before, but it's a decent hike for me. Glad to know there are some in Milwaukee!

Thanks again and GL with the open water swim! I'll aim to be there next year

Participating Member

Hey Guys,

I have been wondering the same information as a friend and I are both looking for a team. I talked with the coach of Shorewoods team and they are putting the Masters swim team on hold until January until renervations are complete.

If anyone finds out information on teams that are close to Milwaukee please contact me as well.

Thanks for everyones help. I didn't know it'd be this hard to find a swim team!!

Looking forward to getting back into the pool

Andy

Participating Member

Success!

1. The Southwest YMCA on W. Howard has a program coached by Bill Curtis wcurtis2@wi.rr.com.
      1. This club is active and Bill responded to my email
    2. The biggest group (and maybe the hardest to get into) is the Elmbrook Swim Club which works out of a variety of pools between Elm Grove and Brookfield. Fred Russell is the coach - and a damn good coach at that
      1. Website - http://ebsc.splashcentral.com/
      2. Haven't heard back yet, but understandable given Dick's caveat
    3. Waukesha Express has a group that practices at the new South High School. That might be a little too far, I don't know exactly where you are.
      1. Did not investigate yet
    4. There's Schroeder YMCA in Brown Deer which has a Masters program.
      1. Active and responded to my email
      2. Website - http://www.wsacltd.org/
    5. There may be a program at UW-M but I can't say for certain. Same with Marquette. I only know a Masters Swimmer who teaches at Marquette.
      1. Did not investigate yet
    6. You might touch base with Eric Jernberg, who coaches a kids program at one of the inner high schools. He's our Sanction Officer. His e-mail is jernberge@yahoo.com . His phone #'s are at www.swim-wimasters.org/wis_lmsc_officers.htm .
      1. Eric referred me to the Schroeder YMCA and Elmbrook - thanks Eric!

Thanks again Dick!

Participating Member

Are there any programs near downtown Milwaukee?

Also, is the masters season in Milwaukee only a few months or year long?

The masters season goes from oct to the end of April at the state meet at Middleton, I THINK. tHE MASTERS NATIONAL MEET IS A FEW WEEKS LATER.

The Wisconsin Masters runs virtually all year long. Our first pool meet to kick off the 2008-09 season is tomorrow in Middleton - SC Yards. Go to our website: www.swim-wimasters.org Our next meet is Dec. 6 in West Bend, a SC Meter meet. Jan 11 is at Pabst Farms YMCA in Oconomowoc. Feb 1 at the Oshkosh YMCA. Feb. 15 - Madison East Y. March 22 in Baraboo at the Middle School pool. April 4-5 are the dates for our SCY State Meet. Badger State Games is moving from Madison to Appleton in 2009. It is scheduled to be held at Erb Pool, an outdoor 6-lane x 50m pool.

Let me know if you have more questions about Wisconsin Masters!

Dick Pitman, Chair of Wisconsin