Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

When Katie Hoff made the Olympics in 2004, she was young, inexperienced, and got overwhelmed. Since then she's dominated swimming in America, done well globally, and in 2008 she has been overwhelmed - again. To me, she just looks the part of the nervous girl, constantly re-adjusting her goggles and plastering them to her face before races, taking deep breaths, etc. You don't see this out of Coughlin, Phelps, Piersol, and the list goes on and on. How is she going to perform at the highest level if she's a nervous wreck before races?

She was the prohibitive favorite in the IM's, and one of few favorites in the 2, 4, and 8 Freestyles. She got 4th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and an FTQ, respectively. We should all be so fortunate to be that good, but from a US Swimming standpoint, I think this has to go down as a disappointing performace. The only thing saving her (media-wise) is Phelps. Otherwise she'd have been the spotlight athlete. She was even mentioned as having a chance for 5 golds. She's failed to meet expectations. And it's a common occurrence in US women's swimming since the '88 games. Jenny Thompson comes to mind.
    Last edited by Rain Man; August 14th, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: God help us if we aren't PC

Blog Entries

Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

I really don't like threads that are worded this way. Other than the French I specifically avoid criticizing any swimmers in the Olympics. I think you should beat it with this line of thought.

Blog Entries

Choke? Outside ofthe 800 free, she has swam best times or right on her best times. She can't control how fast the other girls are swimming and they are swimming outstanding.
    Why do people think that it is a choke when someone is actually swimming ok but not winning?? I don't get that one. Yea, she is probably disappointed but her swims have been ok...not like she hasn't medaled or finaled in most of her events.

Look at the splits from the 4X200 relay,SHE didn't choke.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I really don't like threads that are worded this way. Other than the French I specifically avoid criticizing any swimmers in the Olympics. I think you should beat it with this line of thought.
    Geek - whatever, man. She hasn't met people's expectations. And wookie, she missed her 800m FR time by 8 seconds. The other country's swimmers have shown up and dropped their times. So being at or around her best times isn't getting it done.

"Choke" might have been a bit strong. How's "disappointment" then, for the PC weenies.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Katie is awesome, bad luck maybe, a few race / splitting errors (400 fr) definitely not choking

did you see her relay split 1:54

there's tremendous pressure at the olympics

there's many excellent swimmers

katie swam many back to back swims

she's america's greatest it's just that a few others touched the wall before she did

she's swimming her heart out
    let's support her

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    When Katie Hoff made the Olympics in 2004, she was young, inexperienced, and got overwhelmed. Since then she's dominated swimming in America, done well globally, and in 2008 she has been overwhelmed - again. To me, she just looks the part of the nervous girl, constantly re-adjusting her goggles and plastering them to her face before races, taking deep breaths, etc. You don't see this out of Coughlin, Phelps, Piersol, and the list goes on and on. How is she going to perform at the highest level if she's a nervous wreck before races?

She was the prohibitive favorite in the IM's, and one of few favorites in the 2, 4, and 8 Freestyles. She got 4th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and an FTQ, respectively. We should all be so fortunate to be that good, but from a US Swimming standpoint, I think this has to go down as a "choke". The only thing saving her (media-wise) is Phelps. Otherwise she'd have been the spotlight athlete. She was even mentioned as having a chance for 5 golds. She's choked. And it's a common occurrence in US women's swimming since the '88 games. Jenny Thompson comes to mind.
    Last edited by ande; August 14th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Geek - whatever, man. She hasn't met people's expectations. And wookie, she missed her 800m FR time by 8 seconds. The other country's swimmers have shown up and dropped their times. So being at or around her best times isn't getting it done.

"Choke" might have been a bit strong. How's "disappointment" then, for the PC weenies.
    Good for you, putting her down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm not down on any of the swimmers, no matter the results.

Blog Entries

Hey Rain, clear the water out of your eyes. I said, "outside of her 800 free" she has had a good meet.

Whose expectations should she be trying to meet? Hers or yours? Yea, other swimmers have dropped time but it's not like hoff has rolled over to them.

I repeat this one....She cannot control what others do in their races. She has swam the best races her body has been able too. Just because she isn't winning, doesn't mean she is choking/disappointment/failing/etc. Yea, she may not be getting the results that the press has expected of her but if she is ok with the results, thats all that matters.

And it spelled with 2 "ee" wookiEE

Blog Entries

Good for you, putting her down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm not down on any of the swimmers, no matter the results.
    Except the frenchies relay right? lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Except the frenchies relay right? lol
    Yeah, what is up with the Frogs this year? Just watched the 50 and they were posing again. They should only pimp themselves out when foie gras is on the line.

Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

On possibility affecting expectations may have been that much of the rest of the world was coming in with pre-suit times while the big name Americans had been using them for a while.

Since Rice had set WRs in both IMs and still held the 200IM WR I don't see how you could call Hoff the "prohibitive favorite", maybe that's the kind of thinking that leads to disappointment?

Her 800 was disappointing, but look at her program 200 FR, 400 FR, 800 Fr, 200 IM, 400 IM, 800 FR Relay are you kidding me? I know she did it at trials, but the Olympics is a whole other story. My guess is that she will come back in 2012 with a less aggressive program and do great.

Her only mistake swimming wise was her touch in the 400M Free. Had she finished correctly, she would be a gold medalist and this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

The women from the rest of the world are swimming so much faster and she now knows she has a lot of work to do to catch up. The US women's team all has a lot of work to do, but I think we will be singing a different tune, because the age factor is definitely in our corner. Heck Dara will only be 45 then.
    These amino acids are awesome, now I need a new Speedo.

I forgot that everything written here has to be approved by you, or meet your approval. And you of all people certainly don't need to be giving anyone lectures about putting people down. Talk about the pot and the kettle.

WookieE, I think there was a general expectation of her heading into the Olympics based on what was written and spoken in the media. And she's been a little short of those expectations. Janet Evans herself called out the US women on Yahoo! Sports. And in one article, specifically mentioned Hoff. OK, I'm no Janet Evens, so maybe you'll listen to her.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

Blog Entries

Yeah, gotta watch Wapner. Definitely gotta watch Wapner.
    “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.” --Aristotle

Blog Entries

You said choking which is entirely different from disappointing. I try to limit my put downs to people on this forum, and only the ones I can either swim faster than or live far enough away from that fire bombing of my home is not likely.

I still think you are somewhat full of yourself to call her a choker.

I am waiting for how the Smiths will somehow pin this on Title IX, it can't be far off.

Blog Entries

Yea, I will definitly give more credit to anything Evans says about Hoff's preformances over what you think. Evans has been there...don't that rodeo. Even though Hoff is swimming a lot more events that Evans did, Evans has the right to call out the team, as a US Olympian.

Still, the media's expecations and Hoff's probably aren't the same. Yea, I bet she wanted to win every event but I bet she isn't disappointed in setting American records and winning medals of any color, since few people actually do get medals.

Blog Entries

I forgot that everything written here has to be approved by you, or meet your approval. And you of all people certainly don't need to be giving anyone lectures about putting people down. Talk about the pot and the kettle.

WookieE, I think there was a general expectation of her heading into the Olympics based on what was written and spoken in the media. And she's been a little short of those expectations. Janet Evans herself called out the US women on Yahoo! Sports. And in one article, specifically mentioned Hoff. OK, I'm no Janet Evens, so maybe you'll listen to her.

Ok, read them. Evans wasn't calling her out. She was stating her thoughts. Not once did she say Hoff "choked" or anything along those lines. She said maybe she has spread herself a bit thin but she did not once call her a disappointment.

I am waiting for how the Smiths will somehow pin this on Title IX, it can't be far off.
    I don't think they're going for the 9 angle on this one - I think they're gonna dip into the "training foreigners" bag.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim clemmons View Post
    I don't think they're going for the 9 angle on this one - I think they're gonna dip into the "training foreigners" bag.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that angle.

Very Active Member

I don't think winning all these medals is a disappointment - the problem is SHE APPEARS to think so. Just the look on her face after every finish tells it all.

The program has obviously taken a toll -- maybe she did not realize how tough some of the prelim and semis would be. The 200 IM final was not a good race for her and I have no idea what happened in the 800. She came home in a 1:06 the last 100 - maybe she cramped ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast