Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

  1. #1
    Active Member Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    96

    Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    When Katie Hoff made the Olympics in 2004, she was young, inexperienced, and got overwhelmed. Since then she's dominated swimming in America, done well globally, and in 2008 she has been overwhelmed - again. To me, she just looks the part of the nervous girl, constantly re-adjusting her goggles and plastering them to her face before races, taking deep breaths, etc. You don't see this out of Coughlin, Phelps, Piersol, and the list goes on and on. How is she going to perform at the highest level if she's a nervous wreck before races?

    She was the prohibitive favorite in the IM's, and one of few favorites in the 2, 4, and 8 Freestyles. She got 4th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and an FTQ, respectively. We should all be so fortunate to be that good, but from a US Swimming standpoint, I think this has to go down as a disappointing performace. The only thing saving her (media-wise) is Phelps. Otherwise she'd have been the spotlight athlete. She was even mentioned as having a chance for 5 golds. She's failed to meet expectations. And it's a common occurrence in US women's swimming since the '88 games. Jenny Thompson comes to mind.
    Last edited by Rain Man; August 14th, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: God help us if we aren't PC

  2. #2
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,685
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    I really don't like threads that are worded this way. Other than the French I specifically avoid criticizing any swimmers in the Olympics. I think you should beat it with this line of thought.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Choke? Outside ofthe 800 free, she has swam best times or right on her best times. She can't control how fast the other girls are swimming and they are swimming outstanding.
    Why do people think that it is a choke when someone is actually swimming ok but not winning?? I don't get that one. Yea, she is probably disappointed but her swims have been ok...not like she hasn't medaled or finaled in most of her events.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Look at the splits from the 4X200 relay,SHE didn't choke.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

  5. #5
    Active Member Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    96

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I really don't like threads that are worded this way. Other than the French I specifically avoid criticizing any swimmers in the Olympics. I think you should beat it with this line of thought.
    Geek - whatever, man. She hasn't met people's expectations. And wookie, she missed her 800m FR time by 8 seconds. The other country's swimmers have shown up and dropped their times. So being at or around her best times isn't getting it done.

    "Choke" might have been a bit strong. How's "disappointment" then, for the PC weenies.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,037
    Blog Entries
    1205

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Katie is awesome, bad luck maybe, a few race / splitting errors (400 fr) definitely not choking

    did you see her relay split 1:54

    there's tremendous pressure at the olympics

    there's many excellent swimmers

    katie swam many back to back swims

    she's america's greatest it's just that a few others touched the wall before she did

    she's swimming her heart out
    let's support her


    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    When Katie Hoff made the Olympics in 2004, she was young, inexperienced, and got overwhelmed. Since then she's dominated swimming in America, done well globally, and in 2008 she has been overwhelmed - again. To me, she just looks the part of the nervous girl, constantly re-adjusting her goggles and plastering them to her face before races, taking deep breaths, etc. You don't see this out of Coughlin, Phelps, Piersol, and the list goes on and on. How is she going to perform at the highest level if she's a nervous wreck before races?

    She was the prohibitive favorite in the IM's, and one of few favorites in the 2, 4, and 8 Freestyles. She got 4th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, and an FTQ, respectively. We should all be so fortunate to be that good, but from a US Swimming standpoint, I think this has to go down as a "choke". The only thing saving her (media-wise) is Phelps. Otherwise she'd have been the spotlight athlete. She was even mentioned as having a chance for 5 golds. She's choked. And it's a common occurrence in US women's swimming since the '88 games. Jenny Thompson comes to mind.
    Last edited by ande; August 14th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,685
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Geek - whatever, man. She hasn't met people's expectations. And wookie, she missed her 800m FR time by 8 seconds. The other country's swimmers have shown up and dropped their times. So being at or around her best times isn't getting it done.

    "Choke" might have been a bit strong. How's "disappointment" then, for the PC weenies.
    Good for you, putting her down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm not down on any of the swimmers, no matter the results.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Geek - whatever, man. She hasn't met people's expectations. And wookie, she missed her 800m FR time by 8 seconds. The other country's swimmers have shown up and dropped their times. So being at or around her best times isn't getting it done.

    "Choke" might have been a bit strong. How's "disappointment" then, for the PC weenies.
    Hey Rain, clear the water out of your eyes. I said, "outside of her 800 free" she has had a good meet.

    Whose expectations should she be trying to meet? Hers or yours? Yea, other swimmers have dropped time but it's not like hoff has rolled over to them.

    I repeat this one....She cannot control what others do in their races. She has swam the best races her body has been able too. Just because she isn't winning, doesn't mean she is choking/disappointment/failing/etc. Yea, she may not be getting the results that the press has expected of her but if she is ok with the results, thats all that matters.

    And it spelled with 2 "ee" wookiEE

  9. #9
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    Good for you, putting her down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm not down on any of the swimmers, no matter the results.
    Except the frenchies relay right? lol

  10. #10
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,685
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    Except the frenchies relay right? lol
    Yeah, what is up with the Frogs this year? Just watched the 50 and they were posing again. They should only pimp themselves out when foie gras is on the line.

  11. #11
    Very Active Member LindsayNB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NB, Canada
    Posts
    1,555

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    On possibility affecting expectations may have been that much of the rest of the world was coming in with pre-suit times while the big name Americans had been using them for a while.

    Since Rice had set WRs in both IMs and still held the 200IM WR I don't see how you could call Hoff the "prohibitive favorite", maybe that's the kind of thinking that leads to disappointment?

  12. #12
    Very Active Member Sam Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Posts
    647

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    Her 800 was disappointing, but look at her program 200 FR, 400 FR, 800 Fr, 200 IM, 400 IM, 800 FR Relay are you kidding me? I know she did it at trials, but the Olympics is a whole other story. My guess is that she will come back in 2012 with a less aggressive program and do great.

    Her only mistake swimming wise was her touch in the 400M Free. Had she finished correctly, she would be a gold medalist and this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

    The women from the rest of the world are swimming so much faster and she now knows she has a lot of work to do to catch up. The US women's team all has a lot of work to do, but I think we will be singing a different tune, because the age factor is definitely in our corner. Heck Dara will only be 45 then.
    These amino acids are awesome, now I need a new Speedo.

  13. #13
    Active Member Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    96

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    Good for you, putting her down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I'm not down on any of the swimmers, no matter the results.
    I forgot that everything written here has to be approved by you, or meet your approval. And you of all people certainly don't need to be giving anyone lectures about putting people down. Talk about the pot and the kettle.

    WookieE, I think there was a general expectation of her heading into the Olympics based on what was written and spoken in the media. And she's been a little short of those expectations. Janet Evans herself called out the US women on Yahoo! Sports. And in one article, specifically mentioned Hoff. OK, I'm no Janet Evens, so maybe you'll listen to her.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

  14. #14
    Very Active Member mctrusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Posts
    367
    Blog Entries
    67

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    Yeah, gotta watch Wapner. Definitely gotta watch Wapner.
    “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.” --Aristotle

  15. #15
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,685
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    You said choking which is entirely different from disappointing. I try to limit my put downs to people on this forum, and only the ones I can either swim faster than or live far enough away from that fire bombing of my home is not likely.

    I still think you are somewhat full of yourself to call her a choker.

    I am waiting for how the Smiths will somehow pin this on Title IX, it can't be far off.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    Yea, I will definitly give more credit to anything Evans says about Hoff's preformances over what you think. Evans has been there...don't that rodeo. Even though Hoff is swimming a lot more events that Evans did, Evans has the right to call out the team, as a US Olympian.

    Still, the media's expecations and Hoff's probably aren't the same. Yea, I bet she wanted to win every event but I bet she isn't disappointed in setting American records and winning medals of any color, since few people actually do get medals.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member thewookiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Katie Hoff - Choking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I forgot that everything written here has to be approved by you, or meet your approval. And you of all people certainly don't need to be giving anyone lectures about putting people down. Talk about the pot and the kettle.

    WookieE, I think there was a general expectation of her heading into the Olympics based on what was written and spoken in the media. And she's been a little short of those expectations. Janet Evans herself called out the US women on Yahoo! Sports. And in one article, specifically mentioned Hoff. OK, I'm no Janet Evens, so maybe you'll listen to her.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

    Ok, read them. Evans wasn't calling her out. She was stating her thoughts. Not once did she say Hoff "choked" or anything along those lines. She said maybe she has spread herself a bit thin but she did not once call her a disappointment.

  18. #18
    Very Calm Member jim clemmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    I am waiting for how the Smiths will somehow pin this on Title IX, it can't be far off.
    I don't think they're going for the 9 angle on this one - I think they're gonna dip into the "training foreigners" bag.
    Jim

  19. #19
    Very Active Member aquageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    5,685
    Blog Entries
    588

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jim clemmons View Post
    I don't think they're going for the 9 angle on this one - I think they're gonna dip into the "training foreigners" bag.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that angle.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    584

    Re: Katie Hoff - Disappointment?

    I don't think winning all these medals is a disappointment - the problem is SHE APPEARS to think so. Just the look on her face after every finish tells it all.

    The program has obviously taken a toll -- maybe she did not realize how tough some of the prelim and semis would be. The 200 IM final was not a good race for her and I have no idea what happened in the 800. She came home in a 1:06 the last 100 - maybe she cramped ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •