Thread: La Jolla Rough Water Swim

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

La Jolla Rough Water Swim

Who is going to the La Jolla Rough Water Swim? What are you swimming, the mile, Gatorman or both.

I will be swimming both. Had a blast last year when I did them. Little upset when I cramped in my right calf during the Gatorman about 1/2 mile from the end, but finished with a decent time.

Blog Entries

Re: La Jolla Rough Water Swim

There's generally a strong contingent of Arizona swimmers there. I've been the last two years and done the 1 mile. I'm trying my first daily double this year. I figure I'll try to race the 1 mile and then enjoy the pretty Garibaldi fish during the 3 mile. It should be fun on only about 5 weeks of training.

Hey Jeff, I think I all ready told you I'm heading out for the Gatorman, first time in 9 years. Quinn, Marcia and Brett from DU are heading out too.

Blog Entries

for those of you who weren't there this year, come next year. The weather and water were perfect and the great team who put on LJRWS ran it supremely on time. What a wonderful event. My only complaint is that I lost the great draft pack on my way back from the pier, but I'm proud to have my first Gatorman finisher t-shirt. Note also, that, unlike some 'big' event in the midwest, there was a welcome absence of politicians on our t-shirts ... nothing but gators.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

The La Jolla Rough Water Swim was a great event. Events for all ages. Some of us even swam a dual. The mile and the Gatorman. There even was some guy in yellow and black polka dotted jammers.

Very Active Member

Swam my first La Jolla Rough Water back in 1958. I was 11 and got a "Survivor Medal" for making it around a 150 yd triangle course, climbing over and being climbed over for the first 50 yards, turning each buoy, and again at the finish. What a kick!

Alligator Head was still intact.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

I have only done this race twice. This year seemed a bit off as they did not have any clock at the finish and the chips were not working--so no results. I also needed a cigarette after being violated on the gatorman start--I guess that is part of the magic. I also had to beg on the street the day before for enough money to enter my daughter late in the 1 mile as I did not bring enough (87 dollars plus 15 for a t-shirt).

Blog Entries

Question Re: La Jolla Rough Water Swim

I couldn`t make it, but swim La Jolla Cove once a week. What I want to know is ,..where did everyone park???

Ron,

I parked the same place I usually do, in the neighborhood on the other side of prospect. Of course, I arrive at 8:15 for a 12:30. As a fisrst-year swimmer, I found the hub-bub very exciting.

So the chips didn't work and no results forever? Wah! I should have worn my watch, I have no idea how I did... well the pool tells me what my fitness level is.

Next year, I will check in the day before and arrive later. As for parking, I think I will park in Bird Rock and take the 34 bus.

I am hoping to be in the gatorman next year. I am still a little too slow to guarantee a finish under 1:45.

It was fun, I am still nursing the number slowly fading on my shoulder. That was the LAST race I will wear jammers in. I think I am going to start looking like a swimmer, even if I can't swim like a swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl View Post
    So the chips didn't work and no results forever? Wah! I should have worn my watch, I have no idea how I did... well the pool tells me what my fitness level is.
    Eric,
    Go to the www.ljrws.com website and the times/standings are there--bottom, left side. If it's true that the chips weren't working well, your time could be off, but it's there if you finished.

Thanks Anita, I swear they weren't there an hour ago. Well...I did about what I expeceted, but not what I dreamed...now how to really get in shape...

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lockman View Post
    I couldn`t make it, but swim La Jolla Cove once a week. What I want to know is ,..where did everyone park???
    I think it was a handicap spot...but the guy I ran over in a wheelchair to get to it didn't seem to mind--did dent my rental (kidding in anticipation of the hate darts). (I do like that icon).

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Dear All,

Doing the double on the 1 mile Master swim and then the 3 mile Gatorman was great. Yes, the timing system be down was a bummer, but the swims were good and the clock was at the end of the course so if you looked up, you saw about what your time was.

Go to this link to see photos of the swim.

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/2008roughwater/swim18

The one that opens up is that of me, Animal, or a photo of my rear end.