Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swim Big Shoulders and Support Obama???

Swim Big Shoulders and Support Obama

The Big Shoulders swim, held in Chicago Sept 6th. Offered the new look in USMS sanctioned swims, political partianship. For a link to the discussion go here http://http://forums.usms.org/showth...647#post151647 This is the same organization that is running next years Nationals. USMS, you need to address this.
    God Bless America

Re: Swim Big Shoulders and Support Obama

It was just a shirt.

The event, it's organizers and support organizations are class acts. 500+ plus swimmers show up each year for a reason, because Big Shoulders is a great swim event. I've been ther the last three years and will be back next year. The swim is the swimmers come for.

And by the way the shirt urges me to swim, not to vote.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    The Big Shoulders swim, held in Chicago Sept 6th. Offered the new look in USMS sanctioned swims, political partianship. For a link to the discussion go here http://http://forums.usms.org/showth...647#post151647 This is the same organization that is running next years Nationals. USMS, you need to address this.
    Bad link.

Look under Illinois Zone
    God Bless America

VERY bad form IMO. USMS sanctioned events and services should not be used in any way to further any political candidates or views. Just swim, dammit. And by the way, who in their right mind would want a T shirt from a major swim event that has a politician's face on it? I wouldn't, no matter who it is.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Where's the moderator? Shouldn't this post be removed? I thought politics were off limits on this site.
    My goal is to die young as late as possible!

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

As long as the discussion is about the fact that a USMS sanctioned event featured a politician on the medals and T shirts rather than discussing anything about the politicians themselves or their parties or policies, it will be allowed. As I said above, I think it's terrible that an event director brought politics into their event.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree. I would NOT swim in any meet that was giving medals and t-shirts supporting any politician. It doesn't matter to me which politician it is (the one I am supporting or not), it's bad policy and bad form to mix the two together.

Besides the t-shirt issue...who the heck wants medals with a politician on it? Did he do anything to get you that medal? I think not.
    Nothing to it but to do it

Re: Swim Big Shoulders and Support Obama???

I think the big thing now is will USMS take any steps to censure the promoters of Big Shoulders? Will wait and see.
    God Bless America

Very Active Member

ILMSA (Illinois Masters Swimming Association) did sanction the event.
    The event organizers were Big Shoulders-Chicago Masters and University of Illinois-Chicago, not Illinois Masters.
    ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.
    ILMSA did not approve the shirt and medals for the event.
    ILMSA does not support the decision made by the event organizers

Nadine KM Day, ILMSA Chair

The event organizers were Big Shoulders-Chicago Masters and University of Illinois-Chicago, not Illinois Masters.
    ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.-YOU JUST DID

ILMSA wishes to hide its head in the sand at Ohio Street Beach immediately after screaming..."Not Us! Not Us!" Love it when people in leadership positions start looking for the door when trouble appears.
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

If you want to stir the pot the least you can do is get the link to work...

OK to make things right, how about we get some McCain swimcaps printed up and hand them out at nats next year...

If you're getting worked up about this, really, you need to breathe. If your $70 went to a campaign I'd understand more but over a ("everyone's a winner") participation award? Gimme a break--just toss it and be done.

Don't swim it anymore. Find another 3 miler. I can point you to several charitable swims if you are so outraged and want to do some good.
    Last edited by SwimStud; September 7th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.

I understand it is hard for some people to just look under Illinois Zone Forum (so hard to find, towards bottom of page) so will try again..http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=11927
    God Bless America

Very Active Member

I understand it is hard for some people to just look under Illinois Zone Forum (so hard to find, towards bottom of page) so will try again..http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...706#post151706

Um, isn't that link for this thread?

God Bless America

Very Active Member

ILMSA does not show any political partisanship.-YOU JUST DID

ILMSA wishes to hide its head in the sand at Ohio Street Beach immediately after screaming..."Not Us! Not Us!" Love it when people in leadership positions start looking for the door when trouble appears.
    ILMSA is not hiding anything. I have received many emails and phone calls regarding the event. ILMSA doesn't approve the logo designs and medals for events. I apologize that the event organizers used inappropriate judgement in there decision in printing the shirts and the medals.

We are looking in to establishing policy and legislation to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Nadine KM Day, ILMSA Chair

Very Active Member

If Nadine has to okay every t-shirt when will we swim. What a silly idea. ILMSA can't be involved as the t-shirt Gestapo. Really a bad choice to put anyone on a t-shirt. What I love about masters is that even though I have no speed now i can still participate. We should see ourselves as boosters of our sport not as anything else. Even though I think everything is political in our country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NKMD View Post
    We are looking in to establishing policy and legislation to ensure this doesn't happen again.
    Boo. I think the meet organizers should decide on the logos used for their events and there's no need for some kind of "approval" for this. This smacks of censorship to me. People can choose to wear the shirt or throw it in their rag pile.

I posted a photo of the shirt here: http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49 if anyone's interested in what all the fuss is about.

It's tacky. Don't your meet fees pay for the t-shirts? I wouldn't want to have to pay for a swim meet shirt that had any presidential candidate on it.

To soothe the blow.... maybe they could offer another shirt w/ McCain on it wearing a LZR.
    Made with real lightning!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMSarah View Post
    It's tacky. Don't your meet fees pay for the t-shirts?
    Well, yeah, but how many race shirts do you get that suck? I mean, putting a political candidate on a shirt didn't make it the first shirt your meet fees paid for that sucked, right?

There's always the risk you're paying for a shirt you don't like and will never wear. I have many, and I shall never want when I am looking for rags to wax the car!

In some running races now they give you the option of paying less to enter if you don't want the shirt. I like that!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast