Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posterior tibial tendonitis-anybody have it?

Re: Posterior tibial tendonitis-anybody have it?

Jan, almost 4 years ago I sprained my ankle by accidentally kicking a dowel on a stool just in front of the outside ankle bone. Since then I've been through 4 doctors, 2 surgeries, 1 cortisone shot, 16 weeks in a boot, 3 weeks on crutches, 3 alcohol-based injections and 5 weeks of PT. I am finally feeling more normal. I can finally kick after almost 3 full years of not being able to. One thing I did when it was really bad was tape the ankle with horse wrap while swimming (athletic wrap that stretches will work as well but the horse wrap was cheaper to buy). It helped to stabilize the ankle more and the pain was less.

The alcohol-based injections were a wonderful thing. It seems that I had an impinged nerve due to the 2nd surgery. The injections helped to deaden the nerve so I don't feel the pain any more. After that I did PT and it helped to heal it more. I'm at about 95% now. I can kick, albeit slowly, but I am moving forward. In fact, right now my shoulders are messed up and all I can do is kick. I wish you luck. I know what it feels like.

Participating Member

Jeez, Allison, you've been through it haven't you? I'm curious why they had to do surgery since I don't think of that as a consequence of a sprain. I'm guessing you must have torn some ligaments or tendons? I will say we swimmers are stubborn in our pursuit of our sport. Lesser mortals would have bagged it for the couch long ago.

I'm sorry your shoulders are now messed up. You must be incredibly frustrated with this coming on top of your ankle injury. I guess you could say middle age isn't for sissies.

I don't need it right now but how did the horse tape stay on in the water? I tried athletic tape once and it wouldn't stay on very well. And I know you can whip out a lot more yardage than I can.

BTW, did you know Julie Shepard when you were swimming with the Barracudas? She popped off full term twins about 7-8 months ago and swam until two days before they were born.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Plantlady View Post
    Jeez, Allison, you've been through it haven't you? I'm curious why they had to do surgery since I don't think of that as a consequence of a sprain. I'm guessing you must have torn some ligaments or tendons? I will say we swimmers are stubborn in our pursuit of our sport. Lesser mortals would have bagged it for the couch long ago.

I'm sorry your shoulders are now messed up. You must be incredibly frustrated with this coming on top of your ankle injury. I guess you could say middle age isn't for sissies.

I don't need it right now but how did the horse tape stay on in the water? I tried athletic tape once and it wouldn't stay on very well. And I know you can whip out a lot more yardage than I can.

BTW, did you know Julie Shepard when you were swimming with the Barracudas? She popped off full term twins about 7-8 months ago and swam until two days before they were born.

Jan
    The first surgery was to repair damaged ligaments. They took out bad tissue. A few months later a bump popped up and they thought it was a ganglion cyst. Turns out it was scar tissue. It was better once that lump was out, though. No bumps have appeared in 17 months now

The horse wrap did stay on in the water. It was very sticky! In fact, I had to get rid of the shoes I wore to the pool then because the tape left sticky residue behind.And the cool thing is that it comes in neat colors. I would pick a color based on my mood.

The shoulders are improving now with some rest, PT at home and anti-inflamatories. I was trying to go to a meet in Feb but now my son won his school's pinewood derby and districts are that same day. More time to recover and get them all better.

I don't remember Julie off hand but I'm impressed! Two days before?! Wow. How is Oregon swimming now? I'll be back for a visit in June and can't wait.

Participating Member

Jayhawk, how has your brother made out with the sinus tarsi implant after all of these years?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by erinsib31 View Post
    Jayhawk, how has your brother made out with the sinus tarsi implant after all of these years?
    erinsib31,

I asked my brother-in-law and here is his reply:

"It's actually something I rarely think about and I think that is a good indication of how well it has worked for me. I am able to do most anything I want. I no longer suffer from Plantar Fasciitis though age and wear and tear seems to be causing me to limit my athletic endeavors more than anything else. If I push too hard at times I notice a little discomfort from my implant and also from my patellar tendonitis. This usually occurs once I run past about the 6 mile mark. Bicycling doesn't seem to ever be an issue with my implant... I do think the implant is a last ditch effort and everything else should be tried first, including orthotics, cortisone injections, wrapping and so on. The implant I got is something that could be removed if it eventually causes me some type of issue. If you remember I got the Hyprocure."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12