Thread: Drylands & Weights

Blog Entries

Drylands & Weights

I'm basically swimming MWF in the morning and occasionally on Sat morning. On those days inbetween I'd like to do some Drylands/Weights.

Being that I'm just getting back into it I'm wondering what others are doing and if they could provide sample workouts here. For the last 15 years I've been a gym rat doing weights, cardio, etc. So I'm already fairly thick and muscular and just need to lean out. I have access to a gym and also have some basic stuff at home to make a circut (jump rope, medicine ball, small dumbbells, surgical tubings, mats).

Like today, I WAS going to do weights but slept in before going to work. So this evening I figured I'd make up a circut and run through it a few times and take the dogs for a long walk. I need to always switch things up as I get bored quick and my body gets used to repetitious workouts in a few weeks. Running/Jogging is pretty much out as its too easy to tweak a bad back I've had since college, though very short stinks at a "jog" pace I can usually do.

Thanks in advance!

Very Active Member

Re: Drylands & Weights

In high school and college, I did weights religiously. Even after graduating, I went to the gym 4-6x a week and lifted. Got back into swimming and did less weights. Stayed active by moutain biking, rollerblading, and hiking as cross-training activities.

Then last year, I switched over to some crazy dryland training on a recommendation from Nick Brunelli. He was rehabing his shoulder at Functional Performance Clinic in Tempe, AZ.

http://www.functionalperformance.com/

They also do a lot of work with the Arizona Diamondbacks and a host of other professional athletes. People come from all over to train with them and now I know why.

I can't describe all the things we do but it is an industrial-strength @ss whipping. Your body will be so confused it won't know whether it is coming or going. Lots of great exercises in different circuits that hit all the different muscle groups. Emphasis on balance helps a lot too.

The result is that I set three lifetime (masters) bests in Portland. I came within 8/100ths of another one. My other swims were good too, I felt great. BTW, the previous lifetime bests I set were *nine years ago* and before I had knee surgery!

Yup, I recommend FPC but if you are not in AZ, I would look for something similar. The key I think is working all of the muscle groups in a wide range of motion. This will yield much greater results than just weight training or machines.

YMMV though, just my experience...
    Doug Adamavich

Blog Entries

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Yeah having gone through all kinds of weights, drylands, running routines in my first swimming life (age 7-23) I have plenty of knowledge on exercises (although I know things have evolved), its just getting something together. I'm kinda anal about working out, I like it on paper so I stick to it. "Failing to plan is planning to fail" is my outlook. I just don't want to get into a habit of doing "some stuff".

Being big (6'1, 240) I need to work on fat lose, flexibility, and core strength the most. Outright strength isn't an issue, but that doesn't help me much in the pool either...yet. For this fall/winter just "giggling the fat" and making it sweat is probably enough, but like I said, I like to have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    Good stuff! Being big (6'1, 240) I need to work on fat lose, flexibility, and core strength the most. Outright strength isn't an issue, but that doesn't help me much in the pool either...yet. For this fall/winter just "giggling the fat" and making it sweat is probably enough, but like I said, I like to have a plan.
    Lump....the great thing about this era of swimming is you actually don't....just squeeze it all into a B70 or Speedo FS Pro/LZR
    and just like that your a light, skinny young dude all over again!

There are some pretty unique programs going on out there...and it seems they all are stating to merge elements of weights, yoga, pilates, etc....check this out from Auburn:
    http://www.floswimming.org/videos/sp...workout-auburn
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

As far as lifting goes, read Ande's blog. He well documents his weight routine and it is good.

Coming from a weightlifting background, I have had trouble with any type of benching. I feel it puts too much strain on my ALWAYS fatigued shoulders. All other lifts seem good.

As far as other dryland stuff I could recommend for swimming is stretching and plyometrics (bounding, skipping, box jumps etc). It would give the shoulders a break and target lower body and fast twitch whole body momement. I would get the weight down on a stationary bike prior to plyometrics or dismiss due to the back.

Blog Entries

The chains was very interesting but I will definitely incorporate the bench press bar into my ab routine. I don't think that my gym is going to purchase chains anytime soon. Very interesting. If it comes from someplace like Auburn, it must be beneficial.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtodd View Post
    As far as lifting goes, read Ande's blog. He well documents his weight routine and it is good.

Coming from a weightlifting background, I have had trouble with any type of benching. I feel it puts too much strain on my ALWAYS fatigued shoulders. All other lifts seem good.

As far as other dryland stuff I could recommend for swimming is stretching and plyometrics (bounding, skipping, box jumps etc). It would give the shoulders a break and target lower body and fast twitch whole body momement. I would get the weight down on a stationary bike prior to plyometrics or dismiss due to the back.
    I agree 100%.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    The chains was very interesting but I will definitely incorporate the bench press bar into my ab routine. I don't think that my gym is going to purchase chains anytime soon. Very interesting. If it comes from someplace like Auburn, it must be beneficial.
    I've seen personal trainers do the same thing as the chains, just with straps. You can make these yourself too pretty cheaply.

This is a dryland group of exercises after you look at the first set go to the bottom of the page and you will find 10 weeks and then a maintenance sequence.
    http://www.mattoid.com/fitness/first_week_of_ten.htm
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

You could hire a personal trainer for one or two sessions to show you the "updated" exercises, lifts and machines for the muscles you want to work.
    We did this for my son and it was an excellent investment.
    Last edited by anita; October 18th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries

This has been my experience: swam from age 8-17, lifted from 18-38, then started swimming two years ago. I still lift, but do it twice a week, hitting each body part once every 12-14 days. On the days I lift I keep the intensity level high and lift as much as possible. I'll swim 5-6 days a week, with 2-3 of those days being hard swims and the other days trying to focus on technique.

So far I've been able to lose 20-25 lbs and keep it off just with the swimming. I think I'm a split between ectomorph/mesomorph body type and benefit from a fairly high metabolism (wasn't so beneficial when I was trying to bulk up for bodybuilding and powerlifting).

I've had very little problems with shoulders (knock on wood) and so I like doing standing shoulder presses (for shoulders and core strength) and overhead squats (legs and core). Lately I've been doing stability ball crunches as a second workout during the day. I also do a bit of jumping and that's given me a 32"-35" vertical (if only I could palm a basketball).

Finally, the gist of my weight training lately has revolved around olympic and powerlifting exercise, mainly compound movements. I used to spend lots of time doing isolation exercises but I like to get in and out of the gym as quickly as possible now. I'm also a big fan of keeping a log of what you do, so you can modify your exercises when you hit a plateau. Sorry for the long post.

Weightlifting garu Ben Weider dies, we have Swartzenegger in the USA due to this guy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,4877360.story
    Last edited by geochuck; October 21st, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Weightlifting garu Ben Weider dies, we have Swartznegger in the USA due to this guy.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,4877360.story
    That stinks. It's pretty amazing what he and Joe did for Arnold, and vice-versa.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    This is a dryland group of exercises after you look at the first set go to the bottom of the page and you will find 10 weeks and then a maintenance sequence.
    http://www.mattoid.com/fitness/first_week_of_ten.htm

I like it...its simple and old school.

Here is what I did this morning:
    http://jeffpalm-swimming.blogspot.co...r-21-2008.html