Thread: forming a masters team

Very Active Member blainesapprentice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

forming a masters team

I have just joined a college swim CLUB. It is separate from the varsity team, but does obviously have ties to the college.

Club swim teams do not have a lot of options for swim meets in this area...only 1 the first semester and 2-3 second semester. I suggested to the captains that those who wanted to swim meets more often could look into joining masters since we're all around that age.

My question was...would it be possible to make the whole team into a masters club? I'm not sure how one goes about doing that.
    Nothing to it but to do it

Very Active Member david.margrave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: forming a masters team

Ask Jazz Hands, I think that is exactly what his University has.

Very Active Member

One of the acknowledged masters of this is Mel Goldstein. Our LMSC is working with him on Membership Development so we know what he brings to the table. There are others in his group that will be able to help you with this project.

The key is to learn from what others have successfully done in the past and apply the applicable practices to your team. There is a lot of knowledge out there that will enable you to become successful.

Good luck!
    Doug Adamavich

Very Active Member

Don't do club, or form a team, just have everyone join Maryland Masters or something.
    The clock does not lie

Morgan,

Yes, you can have your team form a Masters club. Contact Dave Barra, he is the LMSC chair. He should be able to get you the forms you will need to form a club.

You can find Dave’s email address at http://www.adms.org/

Let me know if you have any questions, once you’ve contacted Dave.

Very Active Member

I am trying to form a club team at Rutgers as well. What school do you go to? Maybe we can have a meet between our schools.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Don't do club, or form a team, just have everyone join Maryland Masters or something.
    While that would be cool on one level...it isn't what we're looking for. We wouldn't be able to practice with Maryland Masters...we practice at Loyola--the majority of the team are undergraduate students with no cars and no means to get to those practices. We have our own coach and a very large and talented group. Therefore it makes a lot of sense to form a masters team at the college.

We have more kids on the club team than I had on my division II varsity college team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by talne621 View Post
    I am trying to form a club team at Rutgers as well. What school do you go to? Maybe we can have a meet between our schools.
    That would be awesome! I go to Loyola College...so we really aren't that far apart...2.5 hours maybe, which probably isn't unheard of for a club team meet. And both schools have great pools haha!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Morgan,

Yes, you can have your team form a Masters club. Contact Dave Barra, he is the LMSC chair. He should be able to get you the forms you will need to form a club.

thank you so much!

Thomas, my wife, Cathy, ran the Masters program at Rutgers for a few years. Good luck in getting swimming back into Rutgers!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    Morgan,

if the club you would like to start is in maryland, that falls under the jurasdiction of another lmsc. though adms would love to have another club joining ranks, it would be hard to justify having one south of the mason-dixon.

Very Active Member

Right now Rutgers wants us to have people consistently show up to swim for awhile before they will let us continue the process of forming a club team. The school told us that they would phase the cut sports teams into club teams when they cut the men's swim team, but they never did. I was practicing with the masters team at Rutgers the last 2 years, but they are not having a masters team practice at Rutgers anymore. We are still hosting the Colonies Zone SCM Championships December 5-7, 2008.

Very Active Member

Right now Rutgers wants us to have people consistently show up to swim for awhile before they will let us continue the process of forming a club team. The school told us that they would phase the cut sports teams into club teams when they cut the men's swim team, but they never did. I was practicing with the masters team at Rutgers the last 2 years, but they are not having a masters team practice at Rutgers anymore.
    You mean an Athletic Director made a promise and did not keep it?

I am shocked, shocked by this...

This would never happen at (insert University here)!

BTW, did the AD ever put any of this in writing? Maybe it is time to hold their feet to the fire on this one.
    Doug Adamavich