Thread: How to SWIM the 100 SCY Fly

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

How to SWIM the 100 SCY Fly

Ok, it appears that the lower back issues I have been experiencing are slowly getting better so it looks like my 100 Fly in 9 days is back on the menu.

Now, how should I swim this? Since all I have done in the past is sprint distance fly (in 100 IM and only 50s of each course), I have no CLUE how to swim this. All I want to do is finish (not sure if my inner monster is with that plan tho).

How long should I stay under at the start? Off each turn? Breathe every stroke? Every other? Keep the legs soft on the front 50 then bring them in on the back half?

Help, I don't want to or

Blog Entries

Re: How to SWIM the 100 SCY Fly

What I have found best is make sure you get enough oxygen the first 50. Just like in the 100 free, you will probably feel great the first 50 and be inclined to keep your head down. Breathe every other. DO NOT breathe off any of the walls. Now, you have seem me die on the 100 fly SCY BUT I can assure you I didn't stick to the plan above. Just my thoughts.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

I would not start to stay underwater to long at first say just 3 dolphin kicks.
    You can always increase the under water later. Do a steady no kill pace for 75 yards then after the 3rd turn it is give it the works attempt to finish the final 10 yards without a breath.

If you are confident you are not hurting yourself SDKing after you dive and push off sure do it more than 3 dolphins, but I think it takes more out of you then swimming on the top of the water if you are not ready for a 15
    yards underwater. When I was swimming of course many years ago I only did 3 dolphins after the dive and turn. That meant I swam underwater about 10 or 11 yards before breaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    Ok, it appears that the lower back issues I have been experiencing are slowly getting better so it looks like my 100 Fly in 9 days is back on the menu.

Now, how should I swim this? Since all I have done in the past is sprint distance fly (in 100 IM and only 50s of each course), I have no CLUE how to swim this. All I want to do is finish (not sure if my inner monster is with that plan tho).

How long should I stay under at the start? Off each turn? Breathe every stroke? Every other? Keep the legs soft on the front 50 then bring them in on the back half?

Help, I don't want to or
    Last edited by geochuck; September 18th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Help, I don't want to or
    Have you been doing any SDK work? If not, don't do too many of them or you'll be oxygen deprived and have dead leg.

I would go easy speed for 80 yards or so, then sprint, put your head down the last 5 yards (NOT 10). Breath every other stroke or you will go too vertical. (Weren't you a bit too vertical on your 50 fly at Nats?) No legs the first 50. Make sure you are taking it out easy. This is not the 100 free. This is a hard race for drop dead sprinters who don't train enough. Unless you're like that skinny Jeff Roddin.

I just watched a 100 yard sc butterfly. Kids about 13 years old took 7 or 8 strokes each length three dolphin kicks off turn and dive. They took a breath every two strokes. No breath last four strokes of the race.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

100 fly

how should I swim this?
    it's all about conditioning choices and consequences
    you should go out fast and smooth then come home as well as you can

if you go all out from the get go you'll probably have a 5 or 6 second difference comparing your 1st 50 to your 2nd 50

fly splits in seconds
    5 or more is stupid death
    4 - 5 might mean you're a drop dead sprinter
    3 - 4 is decent
    2 - 3 is difficult and might mean you went out too easy
    2 or less means you're michael phelps or you went out way too easy

in fly you can go out fast and die or go out slow and die so it's better to go out fast and die especially SCY
    LCM you might want to be more cautious and save your legs for the 2nd 50

if your SDK is
    fast take many off the start and turns
    not so fast take a few

Work on your SDK in practice

How long should I stay under at the start?
    take 4, 5 or 6 kicks

Off each turn?
    2, 3 or 4

Breathe every other stroke

Keep the legs soft on the front 50 then bring them in on the back half?
    no work your legs around 95%

stay long and smooth
    keep your head neutral

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    100 fly

how should I swim this?
    it's all about conditioning choices and consequences
    you should go out fast and smooth then come home as well as you can

if you go all out from the get go you'll probably have a 5 or 6 second difference comparing your 1st 50 to your 2nd 50

fly splits in seconds
    5 or more is stupid death
    4 - 5 might mean you're a drop dead sprinter
    3 - 4 is decent
    2 - 3 is difficult and might mean you went out too easy
    2 or less means you're michael phelps or you went out way too easy

in fly you can go out fast and die or go out slow and die so it's better to go out fast and die especially SCY
    LCM you might want to be more cautious and save your legs for the 2nd 50

if your SDK is
    fast take many off the start and turns
    not so fast take a few

Work on your SDK in practice

How long should I stay under at the start?
    take 4, 5 or 6 kicks

Off each turn?
    2, 3 or 4

Breathe every other stroke

Keep the legs soft on the front 50 then bring them in on the back half?
    no work your legs around 95%

stay long and smooth
    keep your head neutral
    Very good advice Ande....the only thing I would challenge is the "breath every stroke" part. In general I find that there are certain types of swimers who can develop this unique rythym but not the vast majority...in general I find that to few people are conditioned enough and have a level enough body position and strong enough core to pull this off correctly without their hips dropping...which is the death knell for flyers. In a 100 I personally have found breathing every othere stroke to work best.
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

"Easy 50, hard 50." That's what I thought to myself just before I swam a short course meters 100 fly a few months ago. I ended up negative splitting it. I'd never ever ever negative split a fly race before. I may have gone out too easy... or I may be Michael Phelps?

Blog Entries

My 2 cents for what it's worth: I try to swim the first 75 fast, but focus on having a long and strong stroke. The last 25 I give max effort and I'm breathing heavy at the finish and my whole body is spent. I'm guessing the sdk's will depend upon what you're conditioned for and if you can do them faster than you can do full stroke. I can get about 8 off the start, and between 3-5 off the walls. My advice may not be worth much as right now I'm struggling with a sub :56 myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    This is good advice in general. But for someone who hasn't swum much recently, I don't know ... Easy speed fly with a long/strong stroke is still pretty fast. But going out "fast" is a recipe for disaster if you're not decently conditioned. (Think 100 back at IGLA, Paul.) Don't do it! And, if all goes well, there's nothing wrong with even splits or close splits on your first effort.

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    This is good advice in general. But for someone who hasn't swum much recently, I don't know ... Easy speed fly with a long/strong stroke is still pretty fast. But going out "fast" is a recipe for disaster if you're not decently conditioned. (Think 100 back at IGLA, Paul.) Don't do it! And, if all goes well, there's nothing wrong with even splits or close splits on your first effort.

Ugh, you would have to remind me of that swim

Blog Entries

Ugh, you would have to remind me of that swim
    Just keepin' it real.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Very good advice Ande....the only thing I would challenge is the "breath every stroke" part.
    Actually, Ande did say every OTHER stroke.