Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimmer's Goggles Get Him Banned From Pool

Very Active Member

Re: Swimmer's Goggles Get Him Banned From Pool

Quote Originally Posted by ced357 View Post
    The lenses might only be part of the problem.

I used to be a lifeguard at a pool that did not allow this type of mask. Our employer explained that there was an incident sometime back where a man was using this type of mask and suffered a heart attack. Apparently, the goggles interfered with the rescue attempt. I don't know if the problem was with rescue breathing and CPR etc. I always thought that was strange because couldn't they just remove the goggles easily. But I wasn't there and do not know what exactly occurred. However, the man did not survive and the goggles were then banned.
    I could imagine a case where there was a neck injury, in which case you don't want to be messing around with pulling goggles off the person's head. Normal goggles might not be in the way of rescue breathing, but these might. In any case, once there's a case like this, I think the insurance companies start making it a condition of the insurance that they ban certain things, so that could be why it's banned at other pools.

I think his neck injury would be from checking out the woman in the pool. His mistake was not making sure the goggles mirrored

If he dies while swimming, is there not a better way to go?

Glass snorkle goggles? UGHHH
    Come live with me in the sea said she,
    Down on the ocean floor
    And I'll show you many's a wonderous thing
    That you've never seen before

The Swiss Cottage Sports Center is a great place for lap swimming in London. Everything in London is expensive but for around $8 you can get a good workout in a beautiful 25 meter pool. Weight rooms are included in the price and there is a nice restaurant overlooking the pool. It's a great spot.

I never saw anyone there like that dude.

For $31.00 a month I can swim everday in three 25 meter pools in our town all three have huge fitness centers.

I saw a guy in one of the pools the other day and he had almost the identical mask and a snorkel.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I have to think there's more to this story than just kicking the guy out for wearing this mask.
    I'm inclined to agree. I would think first they would have asked him to replace the facemask with either goggles or some other shatter-proof alternative.

It's actually kinda sad that someone decided this was newsworthy. From the spin on the story--notice the way the headline was worded, the quote from the man and the paraphrased response from the manager--it sounds like this guy really took it personally and decided to raise a stink.
    Just keep swimming! Just keep swimming!

Boy, I don't know, it's just a dive mask for crying out loud and dive masks are NOT glass; haven't seen a glass mask in, what, 30 years? and even if it is optical prescription, it is still plastic. Optometrists don't use glass for goggles or masks anymore; at least not that I have seen or heard unless requested.

I wonder if he had added a snorkel if they would have allowed it. Stupid thing to ban someone because he uses a dive mask; it's not that he's into racing and setting records; probably just enjoyment. Hey, this guy's a senior citizen and enjoying swimming for health and fun; I commend him. (he's MY age!)

Donna
    Insanity is hereditary--you get it from your kids

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandsox View Post
    Boy, I don't know, it's just a dive mask for crying out loud and dive masks are NOT glass; haven't seen a glass mask in, what, 30 years?...Donna
    I just hauled my snorkel mask out of the closet to look at it, and stamped on the lens it says "tempered glass". It's three years old, not an expensive one at all, but I seem to recall that the masks in a local dive shop in all price ranges were also stamped "tempered glass" the last time I was in there browsing. So presumably this fellow is using one that doesn't have that stamp on it and it may very well be more than 30 years old. (The black rubber is sort of a give-away, as mask gaskets now tend to come in clear or colorful silicon.)
    I've seen people training for winter vacations in snorkel gear at the local pool, and the lifeguards don't seem to mind, so that little stamp on the bottom of the lens may make all the difference. Or, as another poster suggested, perhaps the guy was being a jerk in other ways and that was just the technicality they needed to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a mask shatter?
    Would it explode into a dangerous fireball of injury, death, and lawsuits?
    I would pay to see goggles explode into a massive fireball.

Seriously, it's glass people. It's a dumb thing to have this on the deck at all...but I can understand all his complaining if all these other pools are allowing it and one is not.

Participating Member

Where I lifeguarded a few years back masks were not allowed. We were told it was because if you had to do CPR and put a mask on the guy it would interfere and every second counts (and you know how those things can some times kind of suction to your face pretty good). Anyways, it was a new pool at the time and a lot of people did not like this rule at all, we had an older gentleman who fought about it and tried to bring his mask in every time he came in hoping none of the guards would notice. I think the aquatics director finally agreed that if it was an experienced diver (not sure how she would be able to prove that) they could wear the mask, if it was a child or someone who didn't know what they were doing, they couldn't do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12