View Poll Results: Should Ande's blog be returned?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, return it to General Swimming-Related Discussions

45 45.00%
  • No, leave it in the blog section

55 55.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Ande's Blog!

Re: Bring back Ande's Blog!

Fort I thought all of my comments are swimming related. I don't know how so many just disappear.
    Last edited by geochuck; September 24th, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stack View Post
    Was it closed or did Ande move it to another host? He posted a link to his Blogspot site a couple of days ago. That was a day or so after his Blog was moved to the Blog zone.
    Why couldn't he start a similar thread on the Workouts Forum? Just don't call it a Blog.
    It was closed permanently. As well as the others which had started cropping up.

Granted the new blog section makes a whole lot of sense, but his could have been kept alive and bumped over to the workout zone.
    Excellence Is Never An Accident.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Granted the new blog section makes a whole lot of sense, but his could have been kept alive and bumped over to the workout zone.
    It does make sense, especially with 11 blogs.

But, as you say, Ande's blog had a life of it's own. Since it was closed, he might feel like it's a 3 year labor of love down the drain. Sure, he's got the link, but it's not quite the same as having your body of work together. A lot of effort went into that thread.

Vive's previous suggestion of "Performance Swimming" is a good one. "Ande's Workouts" is fine too. Perhaps he could forgo the bloggy aspects like how much he weighs? lol
    Last edited by The Fortress; September 24th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    But, as you say, Ande's blog had a life of it's own. Since it was closed, he might feel like it's a 3 year labor of love down the drain.

another reason that the blog should stay. If it was that important, shouldn't it have been moved (litterally) years ago.

Kirk, TYR and endless-pools advertise on this site. Most people type www.USMS.com and click to the forums (I don't know this to be specifically true with this forum, but true in general about web-forums).

Oh: and I read more about swimming on Ande's blog than on any other thread in the forum.

Blog Entries

I believe when Ande joined the online forums and started his blog, there were many questions as to why he was posting it here, wouldn't it be better in a separate blog area, etc. He responded with something like he'd have it here until he was told he couldn't (I don't remember the exact phrase).

I usually skimmed Ande's blog when I had the chance. But I really don't see what all the big fuss is about. If every one of us had a blog about our swimming, the, "General Swimming-Related Discussions," forum would have gotten way out of hand. Someone made the decision to move all blogs, and it looks like most of the other bloggers have moved to the new blog area. It seems there's even a few new swimmers blogging since the change took place.

My choice has been to put my own blog elsewhere, and I don't mind if people from this forum access it or not. If you want to access Ande's blog (or someone else's), simply find out where it is (maybe private message them), and follow it at the new location.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
    If every one of us had a blog about our swimming, the, "General Swimming-Related Discussions," forum would have gotten way out of hand.
    a) Only a very small minority of posters have a blog;

b) I didn't realize the forum was in danger of getting "way out of hand";

c) Ande's blog was unique in its longevity and consistent ability to stimulate discussion and the exchange of ideas about swimming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    a) Only a very small minority of posters have a blog;

b) I didn't realize the forum was in danger of getting "way out of hand";

c) Ande's blog was unique in its longevity and consistent ability to stimulate discussion and the exchange of ideas about swimming.
    68 blog entries, 23 comments (6 were mine). I think the blog area is great for tracking one's own workouts. Not so much for discussion of workouts, tapering, swim strategy, meet strategy, event focus, etc. (In fact, it looks like posts and views are down in general on the DS since Ande's blog was closed.)
    Last edited by The Fortress; September 25th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Blog Entries

From 2005 when Ande started his blog:

i thought folks might be interested in reading about the kind of masters workouts we do in Austin with our masters coach / former olympian Whitney Hedgepeth.

Plus since I train in the Texas swim center and out at Circle C I occasionally talk with Eddie Reese, Randy Reese, Jill Sterkel, and great athletes / Olympians who train and visit there like Brendan Hansen, Ian Crocker, Aaron Peirsol, Nate Dusing,Neil Walker, and Josh Davis. The forum moderators might be like judges in a Law and Order trial who allow a particular line of questioning to go on. Or this thread to exist.

Plus there's some really amazing up and coming college swimmers at UT and high school swimmers training with Randy Reese.

If people aren't interested they could choose not to read this thread or post in it. Though I suspect, some might enjoy vicariously observing my journey, experiences, and visiting Austin through this thread and for now I'm willing to write it.

Blog Entries

From 2005 when Ande started his blog:

[/I]
    How many times has that been edited since the blog's inception?

Since this thread is non-swimming related, perhaps it should be moved to the NSR forum?

Blog Entries

How many times has that been edited since the blog's inception?
    Last edited by ande; March 24th, 2005 at 11:43 AM.

Since this thread is non-swimming related, perhaps it should be moved to the NSR forum?
    It doesn't take up much space, and you may ignore it if you wish.
    Last edited by gull; September 25th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

I apologize for the length of this post, and most people won’t read it anyway, but I wanted to express my opinion. I first discovered this forum through Google search results from Ande’s blog. I read it all the time, but never responded in the thread (more of a lurker). It is a great resource and the culmination of 3 years of work.

My understanding (and I understand very little by the way) is that the administrators didn’t do a good job of communicating with Ande. It’s funny that the administrators of a crowdsourced forum utilizing web 2.0 features didn’t reach out to its community about the changes. Ande stated:

“I was given no choice, I was ordered.
    I was told the thread would be closed and I had to move.
    I didn't close the thread.”

Ande was given mandates and never afforded the opportunity for discussion—which is what this forum is all about. The community as a whole didn’t even understand why the changes were being made until this thread arrived. Matysekj stated:

“Given that the new capability is here, why not use it? There are some advantages to using a blog tool instead of a forum thread. Blog tools allow for comments to be left on specific blog entries. Viewing that entry includes viewing the comments in context, relative to that entry. Forum threads don't work that way. Ande has very often had to quote lots of posts in his old blog thread in order to put his answers in context. That's not necessary in the blogs - you comment on a particular entry and your comments are kept with that entry.”

These are good points, and why they weren’t communicated before the changes were made to everyone is somewhat confusing. I also don’t mean to sound negative regarding the administrators—it’s not an easy job at times.

One of the most telling points about this whole thing for me occurred when Ande stated;

“I've been posting in it for more than 3 years. I wanted to continue posting my workouts in the thread where they started to keep the body of work together.”

Ande wants all of his work in one location, not busted apart and linked to. I totally agree with this and can understand his frustration. Did the administrators offer to migrate all of Ande’s old content to the new platform? No. This to me is one of the underlying problems. Sure, it would take a lot of time and maybe some money, but it could have been done.

To me, this is a loss for the forum. Ande is the most accessible person on here. Couldn’t a phone call have been made beforehand? Can’t the administrators take the time to do the migration?

Knelson also downplayed the navigation effort when he stated:
    “True. About one additional mouse click!”
    In the online world, one additional mouse click can be quite a difference. That’s like saying what’s a couple of extra tenths in a 50. But if we can’t fix the location problem, maybe the administrators would consider a migration.

I found his blog very interesting and really did not feel it was a blog but good info about swimming even though it veered off swimming sometimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    For those who aren't interested in blogs, yes they have complained that they have to slog through them.
    Sorry, Jim, but I am still having some trouble visualizing this whole "slogging" process.

Blog Entries

Sorry, Jim, but I am still having some trouble visualizing this whole "slogging" process.
    You're out of control, Gull.

But me neither. Just don't click on it. I'm successfully avoiding breaststroke threads, 200 freestyle threads and those containing Perez Hilton links at the moment.

Blog Entries

You're out of control, Gull.

I think it has something to do with my new avatar.

I'm successfully avoiding breaststroke threads, 200 freestyle threads and those containing Perez Hilton links at the moment.

The BR folks formed their own treehouse but seem not to know what to do next.

Ande and the Admins are the only people who have a vote, and apparently they voted, so the point of the poll leaves me puzzled. Nevertheless, I think it useful to discuss the more general issue of putting blogs where they are.

Are we compelled to open every thread, I think not.

If I am not interested in any thread I just ignor it.

If I do not like it, it is a very soon that I do not want to read it.

It is the same thing with TV, I do not like certain programs I do not switch to the chanell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Are we compelled to open every thread, I think not.
    Apparently there are some among us with OCD who must in fact open each and every thread. We must be considerate of them.

Are you sure that it is OCD or is it NP which was first discovered in 1907.

NP is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosey_Parker

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Friends,

I want to thank everyone who's posted here in support of reopening my blog.
    http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298

On September 15th the forum rolled out new features
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12008
    who decided on the policy regarding blogs?
    "Blogs (members only): Confirmed USMS members may maintain their own blog in the new Blogs section. Existing thread used as blogs will be closed in favor of using the real blog feature. Everyone can read blogs and comment on them, but only USMS members may create them. If you have maintained a blog-type of thread up until now, there's no reason to copy over all of your old blog posts. Just add a link to your old thread in your first blog post. Your old thread will be closed to new posts, but will not be deleted."

in another thread Rtodd asked me:
    "Ande, why not put the blog up on the blog page?"

here was my response
    http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost....postcount=1030

Here's where my new blog is:
    http://andesswimmingblog.blogspot.com

I ask that my USMS workout thread be opened and people permitted to post in it.

Ande

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast