View Poll Results: Should Ande's blog be returned?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, return it to General Swimming-Related Discussions

45 45.00%
  • No, leave it in the blog section

55 55.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Ande's Blog!

Blog Entries

Re: Bring back Ande's Blog!

Ande,

I hope the moderator reads your request and does the right thing. There appears to be a consensus that your thread would fit in just fine under the workout section. In all likelihood Jim may not have realized how many forum members valued your postings.

The new forum features work well in that the new blog section serves its purpose in assigning a location for blogs which starting to cloud the general discussions. But closing it down wasn't necessary. And he should not only respect your request to reopen it, but acknowledge that 3 years of your time has provided a invaluable asset to this on-line community (despite what the poll says).

People who voted against having it in the "General Discussions" may not have understood that the blog section does not work in the same way. The blog section allows for comments, but no on-going dialogue. Therein lies the difference. Your blog initiated dialogue, and more discussions about swimming. It wasn't just a record of day in and day out swim practices.

Jim seems like a reasonable person. Let's hope that he makes an exception. You deserve that consideration.
    Last edited by quicksilver; September 29th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.

Do you think because Ande called it a blog it was removed.

It did not read like a blog.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Ande,

I hope the moderator reads your request and does the right thing. There appears to be a consensus that your thread would fit in just fine under the workout section. In all likelihood Jim may not have realized how many forum members valued your postings.
    A pity this third option wasn't added to the poll. If it had I am sure there would be different results. I really hope this can be done. It seems a small thing to ask. I can't see all the other bloggers then clambering for the same privilege. Apart from Paul Wolf's, most of the other blogs are brand new. It is all fine and well to say that from now on all blogs should go to the blog section. For those who are just starting up a blog it shouldn't make much of a difference. But it is different for someone like Ande who spent more than three years archiving his workouts and answering questions related to them. It's like telling an artist to finish his painting on another canvas . All Ande really wants to do is to keep it all together. If that means changing the name of the thread to Ande's workouts and posting in the workout thread then so be it.

Ande has been really generous giving advice and helping everyone. Doing him this favor is the least we can afford him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Do you think because Ande called it a blog it was removed.

Yes.

And even with the best intentions by the moderator to keep all the blog formations fair and balanced, this was a very clear case of throwing out the baby with the bath water. As said previously, Ande's blog was a part of the forum, not just a personal swimming journal.

And I agree with what Syd suggested. If a new blog appears in the wrong place, it could very easily be redirected to the appropriate location.
    Reviving Ande's blog in the workout section doesn't do any harm, or show special privileges.

Blog Entries

How did the no votes jump up to 72 then drop down to 50? Are the votes being counted in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    How did the no votes jump up to 72 then drop down to 50? Are the votes being counted in Florida?
    I noticed a sudden large increase in voting on one side this morning and checked into it. I found some ballot-stuffing was going on by members with multiple aliases, so I corrected the voting totals to reflect a one vote per individual total. Both sides of this vote had some of these incidents, although one side more than the other. I don't feel it's fair to vote using multiple aliases on what is a very emotional issue to some. If it comes to my attention again I can adjust again in the future, as I've saved the current state of the vote and can easily detect this.
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Blog Entries

jim,

Is there a reason it can't be relocated to the workout section and retitled, especially since Ande has said he would remove the bloggy aspects going forward? It would be a great resource. Tall Paul's new thread would be similar and is already popular ...

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

The title of this section is "General Swimming Related Discussions"

I have always thought of Ande's "blog" as just that, an ongoing discussion of swimming that happened to include what they were doing in Texas.

That said, I guess we all have to learn to move on.... however inconvenient we may find it to be.

(Thanks for the ride, Ande!)

Blog Entries

Perhaps we could see how those who are actually USMS members voted?

Quote Originally Posted by gull View Post
    Perhaps we could see how those who are actually USMS members voted?
    Well, you have to realize that this information is skewed because it relies only on those who have voluntarily linked their USMS membership to their forums account (through My USMS). Anyway, of those people with linked USMS memberships who have voted here, it's currently 26-10 in favor of the "no, leave it in the blog section" vote.

BTW, in looking at this, I found a few more alias votes that I missed the first time through and have adjusted the vote total accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Is there a reason it can't be relocated to the workout section and retitled, especially since Ande has said he would remove the bloggy aspects going forward?
    We have released new tools that now allow any USMS member to maintain a blog on our site. Together with this release, we are requiring that all blogging take place on our site using the new blog tools. The existing blog threads have been closed after notifying the thread starters, and all have been encouraged to use the new blog tools. Suggestions have been provided for how to maintain the continuity by linking back to the old thread in the blog description. This new capability is available to all USMS members without discrimination, and the closing of old blog threads has also been uniformly applied.

All forum users are allowed to post workouts in the workout section. However, if you want to maintain a blog, please do so in the blogs section.

I've also just come across a tool that is supposed to allow me to migrate a particular thread from the forums over to a blog. I had looked for such a tool in the past, but was under the impression that it didn't exist. From what I can tell, it will do the conversion by copying posts of a certain user in the thread to blog posts and posts by all other users to comments in the blog. I have no idea how well this tool works, but I have just offered to Ande to run this tool on his old thread and thereby maintain all of his blog content from that thread in a new blog. I can't see any reason why this would not be an acceptable solution and I hope he agrees to allow me to run this tool on his old thread and thereby create his new blog.

May we change our vote. I would prefer all blogs to be in the blog area.

But was Ande's blog really a blog? It did happen to be very informative but left many of us almost feel uncomfortable to comment because it was labeled as a Blog.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    Well, you have to realize that this information is skewed because it relies only on those who have voluntarily linked their USMS membership to their forums account (through My USMS). .
    I just added my USMS information to my account--never saw the need before. Why would only USMS members be counted? There are those who read the boards and participate who have admitted to not being USMS members--why exclude their opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by anita View Post
    I just added my USMS information to my account--never saw the need before. Why would only USMS members be counted? There are those who read the boards and participate who have admitted to not being USMS members--why exclude their opinion?
    Non-members are not excluded from the vote total at the top of this page. I was merely responding to Gull's question about how the vote breakdown looked when considering only USMS members. I don't really see the relevance either, but looked up the answer anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anita View Post
    No one's opinion has been excluded, but I was under the impression that our dues support this forum (among other services). The 2008 budget for USMS lists $42,015 for "web operations."

Non-members are not excluded from the vote total at the top of this page. I was merely responding to Gull's question about how the vote breakdown looked when considering only USMS members. I don't really see the relevance either, but looked up the answer anyway.
    My misunderstanding. Thank you for clarifying.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

hi jim,

happy birthday

I'm not sure if I want to transition my blog thread over to the blogs using the bulk mover

Would it destroy the original URL and contents or
    leave them intact and just move a copy?

My request is to rename my blog and move it over to workouts

What is the process to challenge the policy?

Ande

lately I've been writing my workouts in a PM
    I send to myself and a few others
    right now I'm transitioning from regular training to
    speed strength training but my right shoulder has started to hurt a little

Well, you have to realize that this information is skewed because it relies only on those who have voluntarily linked their USMS membership to their forums account (through My USMS).
    Anyway, of those people with linked USMS memberships who have voted here, it's currently 26-10 in favor of the "no, leave it in the blog section" vote.

BTW, in looking at this, I found a few more alias votes that I missed the first time through and have adjusted the vote total accordingly.

We have released new tools that now allow any USMS member to maintain a blog on our site. Together with this release, we are requiring that all blogging take place on our site using the new blog tools. The existing blog threads have been closed after notifying the thread starters, and all have been encouraged to use the new blog tools. Suggestions have been provided for how to maintain the continuity by linking back to the old thread in the blog description. This new capability is available to all USMS members without discrimination, and the closing of old blog threads has also been uniformly applied.

All forum users are allowed to post workouts in the workout section. However, if you want to maintain a blog, please do so in the blogs section.

I've also just come across a tool that is supposed to allow me to migrate a particular thread from the forums over to a blog. I had looked for such a tool in the past, but was under the impression that it didn't exist. From what I can tell, it will do the conversion by copying posts of a certain user in the thread to blog posts and posts by all other users to comments in the blog. I have no idea how well this tool works, but I have just offered to Ande to run this tool on his old thread and thereby maintain all of his blog content from that thread in a new blog. I can't see any reason why this would not be an acceptable solution and I hope he agrees to allow me to run this tool on his old thread and thereby create his new blog.

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to transition my blog thread over to the blogs using the bulk mover

Would it destroy the original URL and contents or
    leave them intact and just move a copy?
    I would need to test it on our test forum setup first, but I'm sure I could find a way to leave the existing thread intact even if the default behavior of the tool would destroy it (which I don't think it would anyway).

My request is to rename my blog and move it over to workouts
    Yes, I understand that's your request, but our policy is that blogs go in the blog area. Your thread is most certainly a blog, and simply renaming it isn't going to change that. It isn't fair to others to treat yours as a special case.

lately I've been writing my workouts in a PM
    I send to myself and a few others
    right now I'm transitioning from regular training to
    speed strength training but my right shoulder has started to hurt a little
    I don't understand this at all. You're perfectly willing to use the editor tools provided here to create your entries and send them to a select few via a PM, but you're not willing to use the very same editor tools to post the very same text on a blog here? Why not share the love with everyone?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Friends,

last week I sent a request to usms's 2 robs to reopen Ande's Swimming Blog
    they wrote back the next day but sent their emails to the wrong address
    so i didn't read their responses till yesterday

They upheld the rules outlined in New Forum Features
    Ande's Swimming blog thread remains closed
    No moving it to the Work Outs forum and Renaming it
    it will not be reopened

thanks again to those who supported reopening it.

I wish y'all the best your training.

Take Care,

Ande

Swimmers can find my workouts from:

March 2005 to Friday September 19th, 2008 at:
    http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298

Saturday Sep 20th, 2008 on at:
    http://AndesSwimmingBlog.blogspot.com
    Last edited by ande; October 3rd, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Friends,

despite being closed for a month and a half
    Ande's Swimming Blog is about to pass 200,000 views
    http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4298
    Somehow it still comes up as the top result when folks google
    swimming blog
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+blog&aq=f&oq=

my new blog is at:
    http://andesswimmingblog.blogspot.com

Currently I'm 9 days away from this season's SCM meet in Temp AZ

2 days ago I did my lifetime best in practice
    50 y SDK
    went 23.5

today I swam my fastest (in years) in practice
    50 y free
    went 21.5

I want to see how much I can improve my
    50 times from last year and this summer
    50 fr SCM 24.69 LCM 24.50
    50 fl SCM 26.15 LCM 26.03
    50 bk SCM 28.30 LCM 28.14

thanks to everyone who followed/s my Blog

Ande

Participating Member

Ande - With all due respect, you need to get over this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast