Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in pool...

  1. #1
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    321

    Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in pool...

    I'm wondering when is the chlorine at the highest level in the pool during a typical day. I read somewhere that usually you add chlorine at night, and add acid in the morning. What's the implication of this? Does it mean chlorine level is highest in the morning? What about ozone? Any pool workers (current or past) can shed some light? Thanks

  2. #2
    Very Active Member Mary1912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    114

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    I have a resource...a friend of mine has a master's in pool management (yes, there is such a thing!)However he's on his way back from his tour in Iraq. I'll make a mental note to ask him if no other responses can answer this.

  3. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,047

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    I am not a professional. But I know that chlorine breaks down in sunlight. The effectiveness of chlorine varies with the Ph of the water. Depending on the local water characteristics they may or may not add acid. Some pools will instead add soda ash to raise the Ph instead of acid to lower it.

    Depending on how chlorine is administered (tablets, liquid, etc.) the chlorine level may vary radically. Not intentionally - but because of human sloppiness or environmental conditions. For example if the pool has a chlorinator and they forget to turn it down at night the pool often will have high chlorine levels in the morning. The level will drop quickly if it is an outdoor pool and the sun is out.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

  4. #4
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    321

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Thanks for the info. Oh I'm using an indoor pool with little sunshine.
    Mary, was your friend managing pools for the troups in Iraq?

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Mary1912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    114

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    Thanks for the info. Oh I'm using an indoor pool with little sunshine.
    Mary, was your friend managing pools for the troups in Iraq?
    LOL! Nah, he's in the AirForce Reserve but he does manage a pool full time here in town.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,047

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    I found this article searching "pool chemicals" with Google. It seems to cover most of the important stuff.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

  7. #7
    Very Active Member ddl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    321

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Quote Originally Posted by hofffam View Post
    I found this article searching "pool chemicals" with Google. It seems to cover most of the important stuff.
    Thanks. That article and the links they provide are very informative!

  8. #8
    Very Active Member mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    323

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    I'm wondering when is the chlorine at the highest level in the pool during a typical day. I read somewhere that usually you add chlorine at night, and add acid in the morning. What's the implication of this? Does it mean chlorine level is highest in the morning? What about ozone? Any pool workers (current or past) can shed some light? Thanks
    Most public (and some backyard pools) opperate on automated control systems. They have sensors and computers that monitor the chemicals and add them automatically on an as needed basis throughout the day and night. Liquid Cl and Muriatic Acid are the most common chemicals that are on this system.

    Pool Operators need to check the equipment daily to insure that it is running smoothly. Lifeguards/pool mgrs. are required to check indoor pools every 4 - 6 hours and outdoor pools every 2 hours.

    Ozone (O3) is a very unstable disinfectant. Therefore, it is not used very often. I am not aware of any pools currently running this type of system.
    Come live with me in the sea said she,
    Down on the ocean floor
    And I'll show you many's a wonderous thing
    That you've never seen before

  9. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,669

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Very good article. I was always told when I guarded that if I could smell chlorine there was too much urine.

  10. #10
    Very Active Member geochuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Vancouver British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    6,513

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Acidic conditions in a pool changes chlorine to a gas.

    Balance of PH and Chlorine is neccessary.

    Here is the info http://www.sentrypool.com/Maintance/...or_ranges.html
    Last edited by geochuck; October 5th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Meriden, CT
    Posts
    416

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    Most public (and some backyard pools) opperate on automated control systems. They have sensors and computers that monitor the chemicals and add them automatically on an as needed basis throughout the day and night. Liquid Cl and Muriatic Acid are the most common chemicals that are on this system.

    Pool Operators need to check the equipment daily to insure that it is running smoothly. Lifeguards/pool mgrs. are required to check indoor pools every 4 - 6 hours and outdoor pools every 2 hours.

    Ozone (O3) is a very unstable disinfectant. Therefore, it is not used very often. I am not aware of any pools currently running this type of system.
    Well said! I have been in pool management for quite some time and have almost always had a self-controlled system (except for my beginning years). Most commercial pools will maintain levels of Cl and Ph throughout the day and not necessarily at one point or another...
    Andy Scherer
    Site Founder
    TheSwimmersCircle
    Head Coach
    Typhoon Swimming

  12. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Meriden, CT
    Posts
    416

    Re: Any pool workers out there? level of disinfectant in poo

    Quote Originally Posted by craiglll@yahoo.com View Post
    Very good article. I was always told when I guarded that if I could smell chlorine there was too much urine.
    If you can smell chlorine then your Combined Chlorine level is too high. Combined chlorine includes chlormine gases among other harmful bi-products, but it is not caused by excess urine unless it is truly a significant amount. Typically, an acceptable level of CC is around .5. If it rises any more than that, a good shock treatment is needed to balance the levels of chlorine (Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine)...
    Andy Scherer
    Site Founder
    TheSwimmersCircle
    Head Coach
    Typhoon Swimming

Similar Threads

  1. The worst pool in the world ?
    By Bert Petersen in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: January 30th, 2014, 10:38 AM
  2. How do you measure the length of a pool?
    By Philip Arcuni in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
  3. The Art of Pool Length Measurement
    By ALM in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: May 20th, 2004, 03:15 AM
  4. Paddles, gloves etc..
    By lefty in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: July 14th, 2003, 06:44 PM
  5. 20 yard pool
    By bwassul in forum Workouts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 8th, 2002, 03:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •