Thread: Medical question--skin on toes

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Medical question--skin on toes

OK, I know this is weird, but since I've started swimming seriously I've come across the following problem. The skin on the bottom of my big toes rips off. I think its from the bottom of the pool and from pushing off from the turn. It wouldn't be a prob if it didn't all come off on one spot. The skin rips off down to the "quick" and gets very red and painful.

I've tried band-aids (fall off; even the "waterproof" ones) and first aid tape (same prob).

Has anyone else had this prob? What did you do about it? i refuse to give up swimming, so I gotta find some way to keep my skin!!!

Thanks,
    Mike

It sounds as though after you plant your foot on the wall you are probably twisting while you complete your turn. Somehow your toe (only spot?) must still be in contact during the twisting, removing the skin. You might try staying on your back for an instant or two longer as you're leaving the wall and stay off the bottom entirely. Maybe that'll minimize or eliminate it. I'm assuming this is happening during your freestyle turns.

Lightbulb

Hey, talk about good timing! I've just started developing the same thing, after having started swimming after a lay off of a couple months... I would agree with the previous poster- i came to the conclusion that it must have something to do with 'turning', somewhere along the line, as I developed a similar problem when i was doing various martial arts. I would suggest getting a roll of sports tape (the white, really sticky kind). If you can't get it at a sports store, try going to a chemist and asking them. I used to use it for kickboxing and I would have to cut the darn stuff off after training, so it should stay on in the water. Good luck!

peace...

Thumbs down

This used to happen to me for awhile and it does have to do with your turns and the way u plant ur toes and feet when u flip. Our pool has little tiles all around the top part and large tiles the rest.
    When my big toe got twisted on the tiles it would slice my big toe and tear the skin off. Just concentrate how u plant ur feet on those tiles and don't twist on them. Plant and push off. My toes have lived a nice life since I learned this. Good luck, hope this helps.

Mike,

Two words: duck tape. (quack, quack) Our indoor pool has very sharpe lane lines, and my first season I kept rubbing raw the same patch on my right wrist. I just wrapped a length of duct tape over it (enough tape so that it wraps onto itself, this was crucial to it sticking together, and loose enough so that circulation to my hand was fine), and it stayed on all practice. During the outdoor season, I had some big, ole snorkling fins that used to rub my small toe raw at the base. Same thing, duck tape around the bottom of my foot, and no problems.

I would recommend wrapping around the bottom of your whole foot, rather than trying to just do the big toe. The wider the tape, and more area it can stick to itself (and secure itself to your foot), the better. And duck tape is a lot easier to find than special athletic tape.

Matt

Very Active Member

duck/duct tape warning

This tape can easily remove loose floor tile if applied correctly. It is used in television production to attach cables to floors (to prevent someone from moving and tripping on them) and you are warned--don't attach to floors or walls that contain tile or paint. If you want to replace floor tiles or repaint walls--this is the way to go! It is also the universal fix-all for anything that is broken--cars, cameras. It comes in attractive colors in addition to silver/grey!

I wonder what it does when you apply it to a part of your body with hair (such as a wrist)? Do you use some kind of underylayment on the skin and THEN apply the duct tape? It does leave a sticky layer when you remove it from hairless skin areas (soles of feet and palms of hands) which isn't easy to remove.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Skin on toes fine now

I know it has been a long time since I posted this question. (Sorry, got delayed with a deployment to "the 'stans.")

I would like to thank everyone who posted. Yes, I was spinning during my turn. Once I got my turn down, my toe problem has stopped.

Thanks again everyone. See ya in the lanes.
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    http://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/IronMike/