Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who have actually acquired wide shoulders due to swimming?

Re: Who have actually acquired wide shoulders due to swimmin

Quote Originally Posted by letsrace View Post
    We need twins. One who grew up swimming and one who did not to solve this mystery.
    my brother and I are 23 months apart. his primary sports activity were soccer and baseball with very little swimming, then in HS it was cross country and crew. so he was built more like bruce lee.

he's now taken to mixed martial arts and juggling. (funny combo I know). but even when he was his biggest through weight lifting he never really got the same upper body as me.

about 4-5 weeks ago he started swimming and when i asked him why, he said he was hoping to improve his posture and upper body shape. I can only assume he means he was bigger shoulders.

SIDE TRACKED

this topic has gotten me to think about "cobra" like lats.

we have 3-4 triathlon guys swimming with us, and to the non-swimmer the tri guys probably blend in well on deck with us swimmers. but last night at practiced I started laughing to myself, because of this thread, I started to notice the "nonswimmer" didn't have the same size/shape lats that us swimmers have.

Blog Entries

Back in the old days of 20k training, there was not a suit in the store that would fit - only blazers and separates. Even those required surgery.

Now, 17 1/2" x 35 shirts, always baggy around the waist unless I can luck into the "athletic cut" dress shirts.

44 long suits, but the pants are usually too big in the waist - so I'm working on that. Still.

I find the muscle mass gloms onto the delts, traps and collarbone-shoulder area most regularly with swimming and related weight training.

dV

I was born with big shoulders, so I never noticed any increase there from swimming; however, I do notice that my upper arms are larger when I swim. Like other fegirls out there, no blouses or blazers in my wardrobe.
    Twizzlers will be the ruin of Western society... or, at the very least, my waistline.

Yes, most definitely. I had pretty big shoulders and lats when I was young and swimming. You can see it in my pics. I should mention that I do tend to bulk up more than the average woman in the muscle department (unfortunately in the fat department as well!).

I think that some may develop larger shoulders than others depending on their genetic makeup.

The muscle on the shoulders does get a bit thicker but my experience is the lats really get wide. Even at 49 , I have gained all of my swim lats back and my shirts are getting tight. So, yea, swimming cranks up the upper body.

Rob

Just looking at genetics, my father and step brothers all have much narrower shoulders that I do. I was very skinney before starting swimming as a freshman in high school. Had great shoulders by the time I was a senior, age group swimming and water polo help develop shoulders.

In my day we didn't do weights, had the exergenie and rubber bands.

But when you talk necks, us old breaststrokers all had BIG necks, from holding our 10 pound heads above the waters surface for complying to the breaststroke rule. When I weighed 126 pounds I had a 16 inch neck. Now I am up to 17.5 inch neck, and a LOT more weight.
    It's not how fast you swim, it's how fast you slow down.

For competition breaststroke information visit: http://www.breaststroke.info/

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I have naturally large lats, and they have started growing even more since I started swimming just a short time ago. I also have a 29-in waist, so they look even bigger. My girlfriend tells me my back is getting bigger, but I also lift so I'm not sure if it is just the weights or a combination of both.

Here is a video that shows the thick necks:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8FlUBmEb8"]YouTube - Aaron Peirsol 200m Backstroke[/ame]

Watch at about 0:15

CreamPuff

Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    Here is a video that shows the thick necks:

YouTube - Aaron Peirsol 200m Backstroke

Watch at about 0:15
    Watched it and sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. These guys look 100x better than your average young/ middle aged man.

I am an ex-marathoner (almost 28 years of distance running) who took up swimming five years ago. I am more oriented towards distance events than sprinting. I consistently swim five to six days per week and do all four strokes with my best strokes being freestyle and fly. My backstroke is getting decent and my breast stroke is horrible. My body has changed since taking up swimming. I have put on upper body mass that I never had as a distance runner. I can't say my shoulders are "bigger" but I have packed on some muscle in the upper body.

Blog Entries

I've pondered this one myself and I'm not really sure what to make of it. In some ways I think of it as a chicken/egg problem. Are lots of swimmers predisposed to be big shouldered to begin with? Is seeing a team full of swimmers with wide shoulders & tiny waists similar to looking at a team of basketball players and marvelling at how playing hoops made them tall? I don't think swimming will change the geometry of your frame but will tend to make areas more or less muscular or tapered. But won't any sport that builds muscle make certain areas a bit bigger?

That said, when I got married right in the middle of college I had to buy a size 12 wedding gown (and this is a 1980 12 not a 2009 12 - those who know fashion sizing know there is a difference - a big one) to fit my shoulders and have the lower half tapered to fit my barely size 8 lower half. Before that day I had never worn a dress with sleeves beacuse I could never find one that fit. Did swimming do that? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that not swimming as much as I did then has caused my bottom half to now match my top half!

I think too that skinny waist + developed lats + well-developed shoulders = an illusion that makes the shoulders seem much bigger proportionally than they really are. I think it's the lats that give that big V look. I'm just remembering some tidbits from a life-drawing class that focused on body types that vary from "classic" proportions.

I have naturally wide shoulders - and narrower hips, simply due to bone structure. I do notice when I swim, I carry more muscle in my upper body - lats, arms, and lots of smaller back muscles. The effect of having more muscle on my upper body makes me look even wider in the shoulders. I swam in college and needed a size 6 skirt and a size 14 jacket for an interview suit in the early 80's. Due to size inflation, I fit more easily into tops now, but sometimes can't find skirts, pants or shorts that are small enough. And I have tops that fit in the shoulders and are enormous around the waist. So, jackets are hard unless they are custom made.

--mj

Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff View Post
    Watched it and sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. These guys look 100x better than your average young/ middle aged man.
    I'm not saying they don't look good, but just wondering whether swimming has to do with the thick neck (doesn't his neck look almost wider than his head?). I remember seeing some other swimmers on TV during the Olympics that also had this peculiar feature.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I have naturally wide, broad shoulders... so wide as a matter of fact that a couple times people asked if I was a swimmer before I began swimming six months ago (despite being way overweight too).

So I guess they're just going to get even wider.

As for the thick necks... I read one person somewhere say it's from all those fast-twitch muscles built in during all those years of turning the head real quick to the side for a breath. I don't know how true that is.

Participating Member

I can tell you this: I began my 2nd swim career at 37 after letting myself go a bit for 15 years. After a year and 8 months (building up to pretty hard-core) the muscles that developed most dramatically are in this order:

Triceps
    Shoulders
    Lats
    Core/(the V-thing my wife likes) waist shrunk too
    And chest - though differently than you might think...it shrunk - lost man-boobs and it got firm

Legs dropped weight, but nothing too drastic.

I do no training other than swimming. So this is 100% swim related, along with good dietary habits.

Like someone said, my frame is no bigger, but the shoulder muscles at the tops of my arms are well defined as they taper down to my arm. Kind of roundish muscles. I do feel broader than I did a couple of years ago. At least in the right places.

Hope that helps.

Blue

I can't really say that I have tremendous shoulders. I'm not as tall as many male swimmers. I'm 5'9 1/2'' and a quite lean built. I only started swimming in my early Twenties.
    I have wider shoulders than I had without swimming but compared to some swimmers I look like a squirt
    Am I doing something wrong or do those swimmers that look totally like swimmers just swim a lot more(I train about 3000-4000 yards 4-5 times a week).
    I used to train every day in the lane next to National swimmers. I hated standing next to them in the shower. I felt like cheetah next to Tarzan

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone of the opposite sex who usually doesn't bother to acknowledge my existence told me I was broad last week.

Based on this scientific research, it takes 13 months to become broad.

This one is for Mr. Thornton,
    Jim, where DO your massively manly shoulders and other aspects of that impressive physique come from?

I figured someone needed to ask.

Participating Member

In high school, I ran cross country and I swam. There was definitely a noticable difference in my shoulders after swimming, they would shrink back to normal size when I started running again after swimming was over. My friends always made fun of me, but secretly I know they were jealous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast