View Poll Results: Would you do away with Short Course Meters season?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of short course meters season

12 12.24%
  • Keep short course meters season

71 72.45%
  • Doesn't matter either way

15 15.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

Re: Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I don't notice any significant difference betwen scy and scm. I do notice that some folks who prefer shorter distances tend to fade away in scm 200's since it's (almost) equivalent to swimming a 225 scy.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
    Not to change the subject but, do any of you know the results for the 2008 TYR Masters Grand Prix?
    Actually, you did change the subject (aka, threadcrapping) but you could try a search to find their website:http://www.TYRgrandprix.com/ and look for results there . . .
    Brian Stack
    Head Coach
    Manatee Masters
    Oakland CA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Love SCM and glad that we have such a great network of regional meets running that format.
    Agree 100%. I like having three seasons, in effect. Plus, given my attention span these days, I don't think I could focus and train from September through May without a significant peak event; the fact that the December peak event is in SCM keeps the variety that much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Classen View Post
    It would even be a better day if all the SCY & SCM pools were dug up and replaced with a LMC pool that can easily be configured to SCY or SCM.
    I agree with this sentiment! I don't mind the SCM season, though I consider it a bit of a "third leg" season. I don't taper for it or anything, but I do enjoy racing at that distance (as it's something "different"). I am used to thinking in SCY and definitely think of that as my "prime" season. LCM is its own thing and I enjoy that too (plus, it's what the Olympians compete in). Having more LCM pools would be awesome. Having said that, we probably should actively move towards SCM as the standard for non-LCM competitions.... By "we" I mean USAS and NCAA--Masters should not lead that charge. After all, we mostly grew up in SCY pools and there's no reason to force us old dogs to learn the new tricks first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff View Post
    Here is why I hate SCM.

I don't train it EVER. All the pools in my area are set up SCY or LCM.

Also, there are very few SCM meets in my area. There are NONE in GA this year. I have to travel 3.5 to 4 hours to Columbia, SC and 10 hrs (if driving) to Coral Springs to get 2 days meets.

Poor accessibility - for training and meets.

Here's why I like it. It's easier to place high in Top 10. I think others suffer from the training and meet options as well.
    My sentiments exactly. Also, my turns stink, so my SCM times are about the same as my LCM times. I would have to drive at least 2 hours to do a SCM meet. Let's celebrate being American and keep the SCY meets.

Stop silly posts

Thanks Brian,

I went to http://www.tyrgrandprix.org/ and didn't find what I was looking for.

I guess I'll keep googling stuff till it shows up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
    Thanks Brian,

I went to http://www.tyrgrandprix.org/ and didn't find what I was looking for.

I guess I'll keep googling stuff till it shows up somewhere.
    Try the link in my post, that will get you there, just click on the link.
    Brian Stack
    Head Coach
    Manatee Masters
    Oakland CA

Very Active Member

I am all about SCM and LCM since they are international standards. It would not bother me at all if SCY pools were re-done to become SCM pools. After all, many of the new pools being built these days are SCM...

A longer LCM season would be welcomed too but since most LCM pools in the US are outdoors, this is a problem in colder climes. Oh well, don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

On a side note, not even the British use Imperial measurements anymore and use SI instead...

SI=Systeme Internacionale or the Metric System
    Doug Adamavich

As early as 1972 (when I was in 2nd grade), we were told that we needed to learn the metric system as the US would soon be switching to it. Still waiting here. I make sure, however, that my daughter can judge temperatures and distances (I still have difficulty with volume) in both systems.

I think we're stuck with SCY because of the pools built to that spec, but I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM. I'm fortunate that I have both available to swim in.
    "...it is but well to be on friendly terms with all the inmates of the place one lodges in."
    Melville, Moby Dick

Quote Originally Posted by ensignada View Post
    ...I can't imagine why new pools wouldn't be built SCM....
    Building a new pool in the US, if you want to host age group meets, high school meets, and college meets you have to have a SCY option. Perhaps you can build a SCM pool and have a removable bulkhead to close the gap. I'm not sure any pool operators are looking for that headache either.

I agree with the idea that we should be moving to a SCM standard, but I will be dead and buried long before that occurs. Maybe another idea would be to have a short course meters season that is a subset of the short course season. In other words, have SCM run from Sept to Dec and SCY run from Sept to May. LCM exclusively from May to August. Maybe it's already like that (I don't really know). Over time and when pool and meet availability the schedules could migrate to a SCM/LCM like the rest of the world. What's the swim season schedule in non-US locations?

Very Active Member

Definitely Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I would say this discussion is moot considering Mark Schubert's position and actions regarding short course swimming in general.

John Smith

Re: Definitely Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodSmith View Post
    I would say this discussion is moot considering Mark Schubert's position and actions regarding short course swimming in general.

John Smith
    Could you expand on that? I am not familiar with Mark Schubert's position.

I have to say after swimming in a SCM meet this weekend... I am a fan. I am not a great SCY swimmer (bad starts / bad turns) and am mostly a distance person... so I will take the longer pool any time. More swimming vs turns any day.
    "The water is your friend... you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move". Alexandr Popov

Sorry you're not a fan, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us!

Taking a few minutes to feel out the timing of turns is part of the charm of SCM swimming. When I'm in shape, it doesn't feel any different than any race I'm prepared to swim as SCY, and it's a nice change of pace for the fall season. SCM helps me ease out of LCM mode into SCY mode--lots more turns, but still more good swimming in between them!
    Twizzlers will be the ruin of Western society... or, at the very least, my waistline.

Very Active Member

Short Course Meters Season

Quote Originally Posted by bbpolhill View Post
    Could you expand on that? I am not familiar with Mark Schubert's position.

Mark's position throughout the years has consistently been one emphasizing Long Course over Short Course. He was one of the 1st pioneers of mega yardage and over traning in the 1970s. The US short course nationals were moved from the Spring to the end of the calendar year partly because of his position (or shall we say opposition). Some feel from his comments and history that he is equally biased against sprinting vs. middle distance and distance swimming. During his coaching career, a much greater portion of his success was derived from 200s and above as opposed to the 50s and 100s.

John Smith
    Last edited by TheGoodSmith; October 27th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imspoiled View Post
    Sorry you're not a fan, but please don't ruin it for the rest of us!

How exactly would I be ruining it for the rest of you? I am only soliciting opinions for discussion purposes and to get an idea of what the Masters community feels about the SCM Season. It has nothing to do with actually swimming the distance. It's the lack of meets and general apathy in the US towards the standard that turns me off about the season.

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

It's the lack of meets and general apathy in the US towards the standard that turns me off about the season.
    Has it occurred to you that the season length and/or apathy may be due to the fact that the US is SCY oriented due to the predominance of SCY pools so facilities that _could_ host SCM are busy hosting SCY?
    Last edited by pwolf66; October 27th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

How exactly would I be ruining it for the rest of you? I am only soliciting opinions for discussion purposes and to get an idea of what the Masters community feels about the SCM Season. It has nothing to do with actually swimming the distance. It's the lack of meets and general apathy in the US towards the standard that turns me off about the season.
    Sorry. I got the impression you wanted to do away with SCM. It's the novelty that makes it interesting, IMO.
    Twizzlers will be the ruin of Western society... or, at the very least, my waistline.

Brad,

What apathy? Pacific's not apathetic towards SCM. We have almost as many SCM meets as SCY which are both more than LCM. LCM seems to be our season of "not enuf". I think we had over 400 at our SCM Champs two weeks ago.
    Jim

Stop silly posts

Has it occurred to you that the season length and/or apathy may be due to the fact that it's an it's an SCY world due to the predominance of SCY pools so facilities that _could_ host SCM are busy hosting SCY? October 27th, 2008 02:42 PM
    It is not a short course yards world.

He was one of the 1st pioneers of mega yardage and over traning in the 1970s.

I finally know where the blame lies for having to swim 12,000 plus meters a day as a pre-teen. Curse you Mr. Shubert, curse you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast