Thread: motivation

Participating Member

motivation

I recently quit swimming a few months ago. I swim almost everyday on my own because I have decided i will swim at college next year. I am starting to lose motivation, how do i keep my motivation?

Re: motivation

see if there is a meet, pool or OW that you can compete in between now and fall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rykno View Post
    see if there is a meet, pool or OW that you can compete in between now and fall.
    That is a great suggestion that works for me. As long as I have a goal to focus on, the motivation is reaching the goal. You might also find a buddy to either swim with or chat about swimming with to help keep you accountable.

Blog Entries

I either swim alone or with only my brother, who is a good bit slower than me. I also write my own workouts so I know how its tough to stay motivated. I agree with what was said above, try to do a meet and you'll see where you are at. If there is anyway you can find a group or someone else to swim with then do it, it helps a ton to have someone else to swim with. Swimming on your own is a mind game I've learned (at least at an elevated level), some can do it, but not many. I stuggle quite a bit at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimkswim View Post
    I recently quit swimming a few months ago. I swim almost everyday on my own because I have decided i will swim at college next year. I am starting to lose motivation, how do i keep my motivation?
    I assume you're a senior in HS and that what you quit was a age group / club team? If so and if there are no age restrictions, I'd suggest you also consider finding a Master's team. You'll find a much more relaxed attitude, but, also, if you can befriend some of the folks, you're likely to get great swimming and life advice.

I'd highly recommend cross-training. I'm at a different life stage than you, but I've found that adding a mixture of weights, yoga, core, running to my swim training is great on a number of levels. First, if I really don't feel like swimming or can't get to a pool, I do something different. Second, because I have no pre-conceived notions as to how "good" or "fast" or "strong" I should be at those other activities, I can do them pretty much without putting too much pressure on myself.

I also need competition, though, to stay motivated. The open water suggestion is great because, again, while it's swimming, your expectations will be different and I have found I can just go out and enjoy racing without worrying about times. (OK, truth be told, it still bugs me when I get beaten, but I'm still lower key about O/W than pool swimming).

Along those lines, assuming you can run and bike, consider sprint triathlons. My wife, who trains as a runner for half marathons, just added a few of those into her race regimen and has greatly enjoyed the variety.

Quote Originally Posted by swimkswim View Post
    I swim almost everyday
    Consider not swimming everyday. If motivation is an issue, then you don't want to risk burning out before you get to the everyday grind of the college season.

Cross-train, lift weights... find other ways to improve your fitness when not in the pool. (Maybe work on long jumps to help your starts, for example.) Work on your flexibility. It may help reduce the risk of injury, and the elite swimmers have a greater range of motion than the average swimmer. (I'm thinking of Phelp's crazy flipper-feet, versus my "feet of clay".)