Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correcting My Freestyle: Going from an S-Pull to an I-Pull

Very Active Member

Correcting My Freestyle: Going from an S-Pull to an I-Pull

Can you all recommend drills? This is going to be a big change to make!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Correcting My Freestyle: Going from an S-Pull to an I-P

changing is difficult is really it worth it?
    only do it if you'll swim faster or avoid injury

The only way to change is by
    Concentrating and correctly doing the new technique until it sticks
    when ever your concentration lapses
    you stop doing the the new technique and revert back to your old imbedded habit

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornbackinTX View Post
    Can you all recommend drills? This is going to be a big change to make!

Very Active Member

Yeah, it is definitely going to be tough. I am just trying to go faster!

Very Active Member

And today was MUCH better than yesterday. I rarely slippped and went faster with not as much effort!

Ande, the concentration tip was spot on.

Blog Entries

this past week i spent between 3 and 5 hours a day swimming in salt water. first time ever i have had zero chaffing of the armpits without the application of bag balm or body glide. i have made a conscious effort to keep space in my pits (high elbow, EVF or whatever you might call it) over prolonged periods.

Maybe alternating slow sets of repeat 100's with paddles and then faster 100's without paddles will help imprint the catch and pull you are looking for.

Very Active Member

Point about semantics...

You're not "correcting" your freestyle technique by going to an I-pull. You're adopting a new technique.

There's nothing "wrong" w/ the S-pull, per se.

Like I said... semantics. But it's important in this issue b/c of what Ande said: is there really a need to change? I would think that this technique is not recommend for novices b/c I think it's important to swim a variety of distances and variety of strokes.

Isn't the I-pull technique only good for 50 free and *maybe* 100?? I'm not a sprinter, so I do not know.

Very Active Member

WOW. I just got called a swimming novice.

Not quite, but thanks for playing.

OK. I'll bite . How much difference is the I over the S? I would think that you would want more water that ids not moving than a more of a straight line pull. Am I incorrect?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Good luck with changing your stroke. For me, the hardest part was my catch. I had to do a lot of one-arm drills while kicking on my side to really work on keeping my elbows high during the catch. What part of the change are you having the most difficulty with?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    OK. I'll bite . How much difference is the I over the S? I would think that you would want more water that ids not moving than a more of a straight line pull. Am I incorrect?
    That is definitely part of it. I find that by concentrating on the I, I am catching and moving more water. It might just be concentrating on the stroke and making the appropriate adjustments.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18 View Post
    Good luck with changing your stroke. For me, the hardest part was my catch. I had to do a lot of one-arm drills while kicking on my side to really work on keeping my elbows high during the catch. What part of the change are you having the most difficulty with?
    I have been doing a lot of drills. I have tried it with keeping my elbow high, but also letting it hang a little lower on my pull. I have found that by letting my elbow drop slightly, I feel I am getting a much more powerful stroke.

Very Active Member

Can someone clear this I-pull/S-pull thing for me. When you do an I-pull with body rotation, my understanding is that there is some curving or at least change in pitch to maintain a hold on water. When people talk about the s-pull, are they talking about a conscious effort to make an S versus an unintentional curve?

Blog Entries

Not quite, but thanks for playing.
    LOL

OK to the stroke. Well, I am a bit of a novice in USMS terms but I've gone from swimming how I did as kid to doing high elbow fingertip, hand touch catch-up, & mailslot drill which led to mild impingement pain, and crossing over (Books have their failings in analysing your stroke).

From there I went to a wide, almost over the barrel pull but lost a lot of rotation, and the last 6 months I have settled on a more body driven/momentum stroke which has worked for me, and got the rotation back. I got some pain in the front delt/rc from crossing my pull over too far in search of good rotation and have corrected that out mostly, and am now working of getting the right amount of arm bend in the "hold."

OK, now I'm not going to tell you what style stroke to pick. What makes you faster (pain and injury free) is the right one for you. I have though chopped and changed a few times in 2.5 years and to drill the changes in however, I used several techniques.

• Flat swimming 50's and watching your arm entry width.
    • Using a snorkel to watch underwater.
    • Padles with finger loop only--this will magnify feel
    • DPS swimming
    • Using the line to guide your arm/hand (swimming off centre).
    • One arm pull with a board and without.
    • Slow swimming, smooth entry, let hand drop to catch and then recover...I guess it's catch up but not stictly as the book writes.

You know the things to do. Definitely recommend a snorkel though as you can see more and work at it. Admittedly without a 12-18 age group swimming career, my habits may not have been so deeply ingrained so unlearning may not have taken as long. Hope my input is helpful.

I have been doing a lot of drills. I have tried it with keeping my elbow high, but also letting it hang a little lower on my pull. I have found that by letting my elbow drop slightly, I feel I am getting a much more powerful stroke.
    Kristi, just re-read this: again from my learning in recent weeks. I was pulling a lot with the arms and bypassing the body. It felt powerful because I am a stocky guy and the muscles liked engaging, rotating was being ignored and I've worked on that, and now I feel faster. I hold, throw the recovery arm and rotate with the momentum. Just ruminating that feeling the pull could be misleading.
    Last edited by SwimStud; February 8th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I'll ask a more basic question. What are S-pulls and I-pulls?

Let's keep it simple. Rt hand enters Rt hands thumb follows the right hand side of the black line on the bottom until you get to the finish. Repeat with the Lt hand on the left hand side of the line on the bottom. No stupid drills needed.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Let's keep it simple. Rt hand enters Rt hands thumb follows the right hand side of the black line on the bottom until you get to the finish. Repeat with the Lt hand on the left hand side of the line on the bottom. No stupid drills needed.
    ...and swim as flat as a pancake? Well at least I know what to do on Monday at practice with the kids...been looking for the key for weeks.

George, you can't just label drills as stupid. What if there are no lines on the bottom? What if you are being forced to circle swim and can't use the line.

This isn't meant as a swipe, but with respect George, maybe you're so far past your basic learning experience as a younger person that you are assuming the basic stuff is absorbed, and or ever present in the mind.

I agree to a point about simplicity, I've gone a circle back to the way learned to swim as a kid, with the addition of more rotation. Drills have their place. It's not just dive in and swim until you've mastered something new--others will say it's never swim with you mind shut.
    Last edited by SwimStud; February 8th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    I'll ask a more basic question. What are S-pulls and I-pulls?
    An S pull is a freestyle pull where the hand enters in front as usual, then moves outward, then inward, before finishing straight back before exiting the water. The hand travels in an approximate S shape. An I pull (I suppose since I never heard this description before) is simple - hand enters and pulls essentially straight back.

I think the S pull was specifically taught for many years, even decades because it was thought to be a more efficient/powerful technique. But Maglischo's book clearly states that modern research shows the straight pull is more efficient.
    From the Rolling Stones "Mother's Little Helper" - "What a drag it is getting old....."

Very Active Member

Relax. I was saying that in general, I wouldn't recommend this technique for a novice. Not that *you* were a novice.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlos_fernandez View Post
    Relax. I was saying that in general, I wouldn't recommend this technique for a novice. Not that *you* were a novice.
    It's OK Carlito. We all realize we're novices next to your expertise, doc! You can't help being assumptive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast