Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Warm Up Before A Meet?

How Much Do You Warm Up Before A Meet?

I ask this because I did a 500 and then 5x50s warm up for a meet this past weekend. When I swam the 500, I was cruising but was literally dead after about 6 laps. I go much faster in practice sets when we do distance and it was frustrating to say the least.

I recall that I did a 1,500 warmup in my youth and had a good meet. I also know that in workout I am usually at my strongest after we do about 1,500-2,000.

So, I am tired of being a workout warrior. Does 1,500 of warm up sound crazy?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: How Much Do You Warm Up Before A Meet?

No, 1500 doesn't sound crazy at all for a meet warmup. My basic meet warm up is 1200 and do more if I feel I need it. I do swimming with best possible technique, kicking, drill work, and some build 50's. And keep going if I don't feel ready to swim fast.

--mj

I don't look so much as yardarge during warmup as I do time in the water until I feel good.

but I would say that it's a min of 1000 since I am in the water for 25-35 minutes.

500 free, 200 back then 200 breast, another 100 free. Rest a bit on the wall and talk story, do a couple of easy 100's, some moderate 50's, some 25's "light" fly, more talking, a few easy laps and out. ALways around 1500-1700.

But I'll get back in right before my event, some more easy stuff (maybe 300 or so yards/meters), and go to the blocks wet.
    Jim

Tough like cottage cheese
    Blog Entries

It's also a matter of the size of the meet. At SCY Nats, I struggled to get in 600 while at LCM Nats I did on average 1200/day w/u. Then in a large USA-S meet last month, I couldn't even crack 400 it was so crowded.

Blog Entries

This is our meet warmup I do with the USS team.

500 warm up
    5x100 @1:20
    4x75 @1:15 kick/drill/swim one of each stroke
    6x50's 3 free build and decend on 50, 3 stroke build decend on 55
    4x25's sprint first 12 1/2 @ 30 seconds
    2x25 sprints off block
    100 easy

When we start our taper this warm up is always used every practice thru out taper as our warmup to get our body used to it.

Also-dont forget to warmup before your event, and also cool down after race.

Blog Entries

Reading Dave Salo's new book on swimming conditioning, he recommends doing the same warmup (or near to it) every day in both workouts and meets. He's got a recommended warmup, but it looks a little excessive for us Masters' swimmers.

I still do different warmup sets in workouts, but here's what I've been doing recently in meets and it seems to work for me regardless of what distance I swim (though, it should be noted, I tend to prefer mid-distance events and am almost always doing a mixture of stroke events, IMs and free):

• 200 free really easy & loose
    • 400 IM kick / drill by 25s
    • 8 x 50: 2 each stroke on roughly 0:45 to 1:00 (depending upon how crowded the pool is) going odds easy and evens fast
    • 4 x 100: free descend on 1:30
      • starting fairly moderate and trying to get to the pace time on the last one for whatever freestyle event I'm swimming over 200
      • if I'm not doing a longer distance free event, I aim for my target 500 pace

• 2 - 4 25s from the blocks: working start and break out to about 15 yards for whatever strokes I'm swimming from a start
    • 50 to 100 easy

TOTAL: 1500 to 1600

I also realized this past fall that, while I like cooling down after a race, I generally feel best when I dive in the water "dry" for a race. Rather than getting back in the warmup pool before a race, I do some dynamic stretching on deck a few heats before my race; this seems to re-warm my muscles up enough.

Very Active Member

1,500 doesn't sound like too much at all. I do about what Jim Clemmons does, maybe up to 500 yards with some build work immediately before going to the blocks. And I'm sprinter. As a middle distance guy, you could certainly increase the yardage and only improve your race speed as a result.

the # of swimmers will make a big difference to me as to 400 - 800 warm up!

Get there early and work through (and with) the crowd. Don't let them defer you from what you need for a warmup.
    Jim

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

I don't warm up at meets, but if you want to do that much, go for it.

Participating Member

Rob,
    Warm-Up as you know is individual. For me, I use the same warm-up every day in practice as it grounds me and allows me to see if I'm really sore/tired, tight, etc. Then I make adjustments as I proceed into the beginning of the workout. It involves drills, kicking, swimming and 4x 12 1/2's. The total is 1100 yards. I use this same warm-up in meets. If I feel that my muscles are a little tired and/or need more warm-up I swim accordingly. The warm-up ends about 30-45 minutes before the meet begins. Then I do between 200 and 400 warm-up for each event again depending how my body responds. You may need to experiment but eventually you'll come up with something that works for you. I wish you the very best.

One last thing. You mentioned that after 6 laps you were dead. Did you have a "Specific" Plan for the 500 or were you just swimming it? I ask that because if you look at your splits for the 500 perhaps you took it out to quick. I don't know, but I would be interested in your overall spits which gives the big picture.
    The Best
    Regina

Blog Entries

I've only been back swimming for a year (3 meets) and my routine has been very similar to Jim Clemmons' above. In my younger day, I did much less, but I find that now it takes me a lot longer to warm up.

I think the little touch-ups in the warmup pool just before my event really help me feel loose and happy on the blocks

I like the idea of doing the same warm-up routine in practice and meets. I may just put this into practice

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shamboola View Post
    I also know that in workout I am usually at my strongest after we do about 1,500-2,000.
    Warmup is pretty individualized, and is also something you adapt to.

Doesn't your statement sort of answer your question?

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands View Post
    I don't warm up at meets, but if you want to do that much, go for it.
    Just as I suspected. Let me grab a cup of coffee and await the hecklers and critics.

Usually 1200-1500, mostly easy with some buildup 50s and some fast turns to make sure I understand the flags and walls. I don't usually get wet again before each race because I get cold too fast in a wet suit, but like Patrick I do some moving around before my heat and it seems to work OK for me.

In between races I stay off my feet!

I warm up with about 800-1000,but it depends on how I feel.If I feel ready after 800 I'll stop,if not I keep going.IF you don't do much sprinting in your warm up it is hard to warm up too much(but it is easy to sprint too much in your warm up.)
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

some of these warm ups are longer than my training sessions!!
    I normally swim 200-400m, depending how I feel, then do a few fast starts.

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually cannot tolerate the warmup lanes very long. There seems to be one person in each warmup lane that has never swam before and maybe a pair of socialites to really screw up the flow. 500yds is probably my max, and I am happy if I can get in a good 200.

To account for this, I do very short warmups at very slow speed at the beginning of a sprint practice. Just enough to get loosened up, and much shorter than anything I did as a kid. Then I move right into some sprint work to simulate a meet like environment.

I like about 1000 for a meet, at least 600. In practice I'll do 3 x 200 free and stretch between them. For the first 200 my lats and delts feel dead / leaden. After the stretches and repeats I feel good. For a meet, after loosening up with the 200's I'll do 4 to 8 descending 50's. Those are both for 500 pacing and also to try to remember how to sprint. Then a little bit of the other strokes and some easy swimming.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast