Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Requesting Info About Nude Swim Class

Participating Member

Re: Requesting Info About Nude Swim Class

I don't know if you still need this information, but I've only just seen your request. We swam nude in junior highschool gym class - all the boys did. There was no misbehavior as we were closely supervised. There was some boistrousness in class, but none of it had to do with being nude. The girls swam in suits provided by the school and at other times then the boys. Only the older boys in Senior class were allowed to have suits given that they took them home to wash them. We still all took showers together and nothing was made of being nude with one another. The swimming classes were offered to the younger boys as they needed to be taught how to swim and how to do Red Cross Life Saving per the School Board. In High School it was accepted that everyone knew how to swim and do livesaving after having gone through these classes. Usually the olderboys on the swim team kept up with swimming classes at the higher grades. I don't recall if they helped the gym teachers in our class, but if they did they wore their suits. No one went in for medical leave that I knew of - but I knew I had to get through the basic swimming in order to pass gym class. Once one passed there was no longer any reason to take swimming in our high school. There was no trauma. I think more of the boys were worried about their nakedness and not noticing the nakedness of other boys. It didn't bother me since we went camping a lot and had to shower together. I understood why my sex was either larger or smaller than another boys at my age. I didn't care if other boys looked at me as long as they didn't touch me in a inappropriate manner. Even seeing the Senior boys I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd mature and be as large or larger than they were. It came to pass and I've never felt I had any reason to be embarrassed or ashamed. That boys nowadays seek out private showers and private dressing rooms is more odd to me than being in my early teens and being nude in front of other boys my age. Modesty is a virtue, but not if it's going to only be used by those who make a mockery of the human/male body. We were too busy swimming to keep our eyes open underwater also. We had several urban legends, One - That there was so much chlorine in the water that those with red-eyes after class we knew were the ones who took too much time underwater and Two - we'd make the girls pregnant when they got into the pool after us. Ah, the naivete of and the imaginations of young boys. The swim team practiced in their suits and anyone was welcome to watch. I'd have preferred to wear a suit, but understood the need to keep the lockers sanitary from molding suits and rusting our the lockers.

I hope I've answered all your questions satisfactorily. If not please contact me and I'll try to be more specific and responsive.

I recall my dad saying something once about swimming in the nude during their PE classes (this would have been in the '40's in South Suburban Chicago area). I think he told me this decades ago when I may have said that 'in PE today we're swimming', and my mind is sometimes like a steel trap so I've always remembered it . I might want to ask him about this next time I talk to him.

Participating Member

I saw a couple of pictures once from the 1940s or 50s or whatever of male and female swim team members posing for their team portraits. The guys were nude and the girls weren't. That puzzled me because I had thought the girls weren't allowed around the boys when they were nude.

You know this discussion just got me to thinking -Hey this might be a way for to end the “Suit Technology” debate once and for all.

FINA should just simply place a ban all types of suits period!!!

D2
    Last edited by Dolphin 2; April 7th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

Stop silly posts

Keep thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin 2 View Post
    You know this discussion just got me to thinking -Hey this might be a way for to end the “Suit Technology” debate once and for all.

FINA should just simply place a ban all types of suits period!!!

D2
    Didn't Germany try that back in the 70s or 80s? They were saying that skin was faster than suits.

It never caught on.
    I keep telling my coaches, "I am a sprinter" and "they keep saying you swim short races, but that is not the same thing." - Some Girl

Very Active Member Karen Duggan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WOW, what an absolutely fascinating thread. I had no idea about any of this!
    Truly an education.
    IMHO, the hardest part would have been getting in and out of the pool, because while you're in the water it's hard to see anything at all. You should be too busy notice body parts if you're working out, or playing.
    Thanks for this thread.
    K.Duggan

Participating Member

I used to swim nude in the public schools in Dearborn, Michigan where they had nude boy's swimming classes from junior high to high school since about 1928. Some where around 1980 this policy changed suddenly nationwide for some unknown reason. I have heard some female attorneys thought this was discrimination against women and that was why it changed. They required that the girls had to be able by law to swim in the boy's classes at all times of the day and year, but did not want to swim nude because this was a form of discrimination against women. It all seems strange. Anyways, the boy's swim classes and and the boy's high school swim team always did the work out nude. We never had a female substitute teacher and we never had the general public observe the nude practices. It was a strict rule that no swim suits were allowed to help keep the water clean and the other rule was that everyone was required to take a soap shower before starting swim class. The gym teacher also supervised the shower area. The water was kept very clean with these rules. There was not any bullying in swimming class. Just before 1980 I had heard that one of the high schools in
    Desrborn changed to requiring swim suits for the swim team, but not the other high schools that still practiced nude. There were a number of boys that loved the nude swims, a few that did not like the nude swims, but overall, it worked, because nude was the dress code, and it would be too embarssing NOT TO ALSO SWIM NUDE. We do not need a swim suit was the accepted attitude back then. The swim meets were held wearing speedo swim suits and were open to the general public.
    I thought it was interesting to hear that many other swim teams back then even held the swim meets nude also.
    It was not uncommon for the boys to have boners in every class especailly after warm up deck exercises like many sets of pushs ups, sits ups and 100 jumping jacks. Boners in a nude swim class is normal and was not the reason for changing the laws to all co ed and all textile nation wide as I have seen posted on some other web sites.

Participating Member

My dad always said he had to swim nude in school, I never knew if I should believe him or not.

Participating Member

I thought I would check back in to let people know that I finally got around to putting the show together. It is posted on YouTube in three parts-

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt_HUSSyQQ"]YouTube- Naked Swimming In School Pt. 1[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eznEFMp6odU"]YouTube- Naked Swimming In School Pt. 2[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxNnywZ3tU"]YouTube- Naked Swimming In School Pt 3[/nomedia]

Cool Re: Requesting Info About Nude Swim Class

Wow... since many of you have affirmed the nude swimming, what can I say, must have been true, however I swam the 50's as a little boy in Mexico and Venezuela and never heard of this practice, then California in th 60's at an all boys private Catholic prep school and we were always suited... we NEVER heard of such a practice among competitors either...!

The findings/conclusions of your research would make for a GREAT article... did you publish one, please shre it w/us...!!

Regards to all, (hey, where's the little nude dude in the "smiles" box...?! Oh well, I'll use the ones that most reflects the issue... )

David

Those streaming videos are sort of "stop & go" and I got frustrated trying to watch them all the way through.

However the American Public Health Association had a good idea about minimizing contamination of the pool by minimizing the amount of the suit coverage. The more suit material, the more foreign debris that gets into the pool’s filtration system.

Just look at the amount of stuff that collects around the drain in a shower VS the amount of wet gooey lint from the drain line of a washing machine and it’s obvious that any fabric in the water generates a lot more icchy crud than just washing down a nude body.

In addition to keeping the pool cleaner, many men don’t like swimming in “Boardies” and they really prefer briefs that were the former standard for men’s swimwear...... that was up until some obscure puritanistic group decided to launch a world wide “speedophobia” campaign in the mid 90’s.

This idiotic taboo has run its course ad nauseum and it’s high time for it to go.

D2
    Last edited by Dolphin 2; December 16th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.

My belief, yes nude swimming classes were held. We now know that many who insisted this was the way to go, were like the hockey coach who assaulted his young students. It is time to close this stupid thread.

Here is the story about the hockey coach. He has been released on Bail http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com...aspx?e=2889560
    Last edited by geochuck; December 14th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Smile Re: Requesting Info About Nude Swim Class

As a swimmer of today's generation, this seems insane and totally impossible. After reading through the comments, I am shocked to see that this was actually in practice and accepted as little as 50 years ago.
    Check out my website, Beginners Exercise, for the most up to date fitness and nutrition related news and information.

And why do some people on vacation go looking for nude beaches?

Participating Member

We swam nude during public school gym classes around 1970 in Massachusetts, north of Boston. Because our school's gymnasium was antiquated, starting in 8th grade boys had gym at a YMCA about a block away. Before we began school that year, we had heard from older boys that on many days gym class at the Y included recreational swimming in the Y's pool. They also boasted that on those days when swimming was scheduled, instead of changing from school clothes into gym shorts, t-shirts and sneakers in the locker room before going to class in the gym, everyone just stripped and went to the pool completely bare. They seemed to take great pride in having done this themselves, as if it were a rite of passage that they had passed but we had not.

Oddly, none of this was mentioned during gym class orientation, as I recall, but, because of what we had heard, none of us was surprised about six weeks or so after we started having gym at the Y when our teacher announced that class that day would be at the pool. As if it were no big deal, he told us to go to the locker room and take off all of our clothes, and then line up in the corridor that led to the pool. We did as we were told. No questions asked. I suspect the main reason we were so compliant was because for the prior month and a half we had become accustomed to another standard practice of that era that is probably also a relic today: the mandatory gym shower.

As soon as we returned to the locker room from the gym each day, everyone was required to take off everything worn to the gym and shower before getting dressed again in school clothes and returning to school. The boys' shower was communal; there were no shower stalls, just an open, tiled room next to the locker room with rows of shower heads along the walls without any partitions or dividers between them. Because we only had a few minutes before going back to school, everyone had to be in the shower room at the same time.

The awkwardness that those of us who had not been in a gang shower before felt on the first day we had gym class, being naked for the first time in front of 30 or so of our also-naked classmates, had long disappeared by the first time we went to the pool. By then, we had showered after gym so many times that we had lost any inhibitions or self-consciousness about being nude amongst ourselves. I imagine that's why going to the pool nude a month or so later didn't seem as if it were anything out of the ordinary.

I didn't object to swimming nude and I'm not aware that anyone else objected either. In those days and at that age we all did what we were told to do anyway. Also, I don't think anyone thought there was anything to object about. Apart from having already gotten used to being nude in a communal shower, we also somehow seemed to know that it was the custom then for males to swim nude at indoor pools. Swimsuits were not considered necessary for swimming; their main purpose was to prevent females (if any were present) from being exposed to male nudity. At that time, being nude among other males in this context was seen as quite normal and certainly was was not considered any reason for embarassment, shame or concern of any kind.

The teacher never explained why we swam nude. To the extent I gave it any thought at all, I seem to recall thinking it was probably just a matter of convenience: why be bothered bringing a swimsuit to school and then have to carry it around wet for the rest of the day when that could be avoided by not wearing one? And that it would have been rather pointless for us to wear swimsuits in the pool solely for reasons of modesty, only to go from the pool to the shower room where everyone would be naked anyway.

As far as I know only the boys' gym classes swam nude at the Y. The YMCA was basically a coed facility, and when I had taken swimming lessons there in the past everyone wore swimsuits. I didn't know about any other local school's swimsuit policy. But I remember a friend in college telling me that swimsuits were never worn at the private all-male high school he had attended outside Philadelphia, and that his swim team (he swam competitively as well) always swam nude during practices, only wearing swimsuits when they competed against other schools.

Our gym teacher remained clothed and always "supervised" the pool; he'd sit in a chair on the pool deck and read the newspaper, keeping one eye on us to make sure we didn't drown. There was no bullying or misbehavior. If anything, there was far less mischief at the pool than when class was held in the gym. I suspect the aggressive kids felt more vulnerable when they were naked. The only horseplay was the usual you'd expect from a group of 30 teenagers swimming or playing water volleyball in the pool. It was all completely innocent and no different than if swimsuits had been worn. There were never any females present, and I don't recall anyone coming into the pool area when class was held there.

I did not consider swimming nude traumatic; in fact, it was the first time I experienced the enjoyable sensation of liberation one feels from being nude in the water, freed from the constrictions of a swimsuit. And as far as I recall, everyone seemed to enjoy having class at the pool more than in the gym. The only negative aspect was that the time wasn't used more productively. Although most everyone in class, I think, could swim to some degree (our town was on the Atlantic Coast), using the pool time solely for recreation created a lost opportunity to teach a few aquatic skills.

Finally, as someone else posted, it was not so much that we were "required" to swim nude as we were "expected" to. Perhaps just a semantic difference, but no one was being asked to do something contrary to the then prevailing custom. I imagine that's why we never complained or even talked about it.
    Last edited by AlexP; January 23rd, 2015 at 05:09 PM.

Jumper - did you get your Masters in nude swimming?
    That was a really good back ground of info! Thanx.

Participating Member

A good movie was made about the 1960's, called Heaven Help Us can it has an episode on boys nude swimming classes in High School. So check it out. This is how 98% of boys swim classes were at public and private schools and YMCA. I have not seen any other movies on boys nude swimming classes.

Participating Member

You would also be teriffied to read about all of the nudity in the Bible.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Saw this on NPR yesterday and remembered this thread. It's certainly a different world we live in today, but I just can't get beyond thinking that this was bizarre.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-c...5-0c4bf4d5a0be

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234