Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotels with 25y Pools

Hotels with 25y Pools

Do you know of any hotels that have workout appropriate pools on site? I'm not talking about the infamous "olympic sized" pools advertised, but real live 25 yard or longer pools.

I am aware of two:

1. Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC (not cheap!)

2. Washington Athletic Club in Seattle WA (not public!)

Maybe others could contribute. I am sure there must be some more out there.

Thanks

Steve

Two others that come to mind are:

Hilton Waikoloa Village - their pool must be close to 50 Meters, excluding the dolphin pool and salt water lagoon.

And

Rome Cavalieri Hilton - 25 Meter outdoor pool, with a great view of the Vatican and the downtown Rome.

Participating Member
    The dolphin in Orlando. I think the pool is 30 meters
    Ronald Jacobs
    Sewickley YMCA Masters

The Crowne Plaza-MetroCentre in Montreal (but one end is very shallow -- less than 3 feet).

The Park Hyatt, 800 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, boasts a 3 lane 25 yd lap pool.

The Hotel Copan in San Pedro Sula, Honduras 25M
    The Radisson in San Salvador, El Salvador 25M
    Hotel Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 25M

The Mirage, in Las Vegas - 3 or 4 lanes, with bottom stripes and lane lines. The smoking allowed in the pool area can be annoying, however.

I went to a resort in Jamaica that had a 7 lane 25m pool where they not only kept all the lane ropes in all the time but they also had a large pace clock. It was called Couples Swept Away and it was in Negril. Water temp was typically 81-82.

Technically I know of one pool that truly has an Olympic Size pool. The Radisson in Orlando that is in the parking lot of the YMCA lets you swim for free in the Y pool and the Y pool is 50m.

Jeff Roddin

Very Active Member jean sterling's Avatar
    Originally posted by jroddin
    Technically I know of one pool that truly has an Olympic Size pool. The Radisson in Orlando that is in the parking lot of the YMCA lets you swim for free in the Y pool and the Y pool is 50m.

Jeff Roddin
    The International Drive YMCA, which is the Y next to the Radisson is a nice facility. It got its start as the Justus Aquatic Center, and I believe it was at that time a part of the Radisson. It's a fast pool, and there were national records set there in swim meets. It wasn't making it financially, however, and came very close to being razed. Eventually a deal was worked out with the YMCA - I think they paid $1 plus agreed to be responsible for maintenance and allow use by Radisson guests.

There is a very nice short course meters meet there in October which is held in the diving well. This August the Orlando Masters will have a long course meet there.

There are three pools there - the diving well, the 50 meter competition pool, and a 25 yard training pool, which is kept very warm.
    Jean S.

Participating Member Dog_paddle's Avatar
    Jean,

Does the Radisson pool still have the retractable roof?

Very Active Member jean sterling's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dog_paddle
    Jean,

Does the Radisson pool still have the retractable roof?
    Yes, it does, which is imho a really neat feature. One funny story about the retractable roof. Four or five years ago I swam the 400 free at the short course meters meet. About halfway through the 400 I heard this really weird sound - kind of like applause. I vaguely wondered if somebody was on the way to a record or something, which didn't seem very likely. I found out what had caused the noise when I finished the race. A Florida cloudburst had come up and rained noisily into the pool. They had tried to close the retractable roof but had found that it was stuck in the open position.

Yes, it has since been fixed.
    Jean S.

The Doubletree Hotel in downtown Boston (actually it's right next to NE Medical Center in Chinatown) has a five lane 25 yard pool. It's 3.5 feet in the shallow end and 10 feet in the deep end. This building was the old Don Bosco Technical HS and they kept the pool. It's run by the YMCA for the hotel.

For those of you who remember the old Bosco HS pool (we used to have quite a NEM group at that facility) I understand they totally renovated the lockerooms and showers.

The Sheraton on Memorial Drive in Cambridge has a 25 yard pool on the roof. Much nicer view but inferior pool (shallow on both ends) to Doubletree.

The Sheraton in downton Toronto has a 25 meter pool. This pool is heated and is combination indoor/outdoor. You start indoors and about half-way the pool becomes an outdoor pool. They have these doors/panels that open up to an outdoor deck. I believe they keep this configuration all year round but have yet to try it when it's snowing.

Here is one in LA area.

Pacific Palms Conference Resort
    One Industry Hills Parkway
    Los Angeles, California United States 91744
    866-223-9330

The even had a masters team when I stayed there years ago. 1 50 meter pool and 1 25 yard pool.

Very Active Member

Re: Hotels with 25y Pools

The National, in Miami beach, has a 205-foot pool.
    The Delano, also in Miami Beach, has a 100-ft pool.
    Not great for the standard workout, but a kick, nonetheless.
    DrMikey

The Pool at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort and Conference Center in Orlando isn't meant for lap swimming per se, but its long sections are probably ~40M long. You have to go as it opens in the AM to avoid the kiddos and the active Aztec Pyramid waterfall that comes on later, but there are some markings on the bottom that you can follow. I think the short sections are close to 20Y across too. For a leisure facility, its actually quite good for lap swimming.

I hope to make it there sometime soon! I LOVE Disney World!
    man up, buttercup!

Very Active Member Julie Roddin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    The Pool at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort and Conference Center in Orlando isn't meant for lap swimming per se, but its long sections are probably ~40M long. You have to go as it opens in the AM to avoid the kiddos and the active Aztec Pyramid waterfall that comes on later, but there are some markings on the bottom that you can follow. I think the short sections are close to 20Y across too. For a leisure facility, its actually quite good for lap swimming.
    I was just there a few weeks ago! In addition to the big pool, they also have the "quiet pool" which is ok for swimming later in the day and early in the morning. I think it was 25 meters and had lines on the bottom, no lane lines though.

Very Active Member

Desert Springs Marriot Resort , Palm Deset California

2 25 M pools with lane lines and stripes on the bottom. In the summer at night the pool 80+ degrees and the air is low 60's. Quite an experience.

Blog Entries

Many/most full-service Marriotts have 25-yard pools. Not Courtyards or Residence Inns or whatever, but regular Marriotts. I think the one in downtown Philly does and does the Marriott Camelback Resort in Scottsdale, AZ. The one in Quincy, MA though is only about 20 yards.

Very Active Member

olympic sized pool, haha I love that phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    olympic sized pool, haha I love that phrase
    I know - I think someone needs to start suing for false advertising. Back a few years ago when managing a floundering pool, the board approached me about advertising brochures they made up, and included that phrase. I begged them to take it out, as 25M is NOT olympic-sized. They left it in.
    man up, buttercup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast