Thread: Zone Championships?

Zone Championships?

I was wondering if our zone, the Great Lakes Zone, ever has short course or long course championship meets. I know that other zones hold these meets right before nationals. The website (http://www.greatlakeszone.org/) mentions nothing about this, nor really anything. Anybody have any info.?

Bill

Bill:

At the USMS convention last year, during the Zone meeting, the idea was kicked around, but aside from Central being ok with the concept, none of the other LMSCs in the Great Lakes Zone were agreeable.

As a compromise for the time being, a Zone meet committee was formed (which Nadine and I are members) and each LMSC agreed to publish each others meets both in the local LMSCs newsletters and on the local LMSCs websites via hyperlinks.

I think the fall grin classic is considered to be a championship meet of sorts becasue its the only SCMeter meet around all year long, unless you want to head to Kentucky. I remember meet a few people that tapered and shaved for that meet alone.

Very Active Member

Zone Championships

Bill,
    Mark was correct, The GRIN Fall Classic was our Great Lake Zone SCM Championships.
    For Short Course yards, there was a Great Lakes Zone Championships the same weekend as our State Meet. OHIO Masters have sponsored this meet in the past.
    We are trying to keep a listing of all the meets on the Great Lakes Discussion Forum. I also posted it on our discussion forum.
    Nadine

P.S. We have formed a committee with OHIO, INDIANA, MICHIGAN, KENTUCKY, and ILLINOIS to discuss Great Lake Zone meets. If you have any questions or suggestions, you may contact Carl Saxton or Nadine Day.

Lightbulb Great Lakes Zone Championship Committee

Hi Bill,

I am also part of that committee that Carl spoke about. As of now there are no plans at this time to have a Great Lakes Championship, not because of lack of interest but rather a convenient location to host the meet. With the distance between some locations so far apart the attendance makes not be worth the host clubs efforts.

Let me speak form personal experience within my own LMSC, Ohio. Most of the meets in the OHIO LMSC happen in and around the Cincinnati area. Usually 4-5 short course yards meets in the winter, and at least 1 long course meet in the summer. The majority of swimmers that attend these meets are those within 75 miles of meet itself. In the Cincinnati area we comprise about 35% of the total registered masterís population in OH. Now the largest teams are in Columbus, OH. There are about 5 clubs which comprise 55% of the total registered masterís population in OH. Yet we (Cincy) support majority of the meets. Why you ask? It is simple; people want to stay close to home. Case in point, the Lake Erie LMSC (Cleveland) host several great meets. However the number of swimmers from Cincinnati is usually zero. The reason is simple; it is a 4 hour car ride. If a meet is in Lexington or Louisville KY, then the Cincinnati swimmers will head south because it is only a 1.5 to 2 hour car ride. Basically it is simple distance decay theory.

Now as a whole, the LMSCís in our Zone have a plethora of meets throughout the year. I know that LMSC such as KY (which I was a part of) have mini meets only for those swimmers registered within the KY LMSC. One reason is that they do not travel too much. If people from an LMSC donít travel even within there own LMSC, like OHIO or KY, then they most likely will not travel outside of it.

Here is what I would propose for a solution. Next year after the 04í Olympics are over, and swimming is back in popularity and people are excited, then I say it would be a good time to have a GLZ Championship, either SCY or SCM. IMHO (In my humble opinion) the most convenient place would be Indianapolis. It is the most Central location and has the facility to host such an event. It does not have to annual; ever 4 years would be good. It would be good to offer it right before a USMS Nationals because it would give those not going to the Nationals a big time meet to taper for at the end of the season.

Those are my thoughts. I would love to see it happen.

Thanks for bringing this to the forum.
    CJ Rushman
    South West Ohio Masters
    OHIO LMSC Secretary

C.J. Rushman
    Great Lakes Zone Chair
    Kentucky LMSC Chair
    ASCA Level III USA/Masters Certified Coach
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.