Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849

Thread: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

Re: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    That sounds like a handful to drive. Glad that you are involved in your kids sports. The time with them passes too quickly.
    Enjoy the sport with them and hopefully they follow it thru into adulthood as we have.
    Did you have any flood problems with the hurricane bringing it up to you?
    Yeah, kind of weird. My wife never swam, but she found the Summer league team. And one of them just took to it. Then she did USA. I had followed that path, but I never really "got it," in that I didn't know how to apply myself in training. And I hit puberty late, so I quit. Swam for exercise in college, probably 2500 yards or so a few days a week. At any rate, I have now gotten back into it mostly for fitness, but I train a bit harder than the lap swimmers. In the meantime, that daughter has just gotten better and better. Now has something like 15 team records between short and long course, a few AAAA times in SCY, and a handful in LCM with a few more months to go. Made the Zones team this year, and I think got a Sr. Sectional cut this Summer, too. Turns 13 in a couple of months, still hasn't hit puberty (whch could go either way). Hoping for Jr. Nationals this year. And I somehow ended up being the president of her USA club.

No problems with flooding here. Have several relatives in the Houston area, though, who were affected.

Glad that yto are O K .. Have you looked into a Masters team for yourself? If time will let you, it is a great way to learn & train.

Have you looked into a Masters team for yourself? If time will let you, it is a great way to learn & train.
    Yes, the time and locations are not that great for me. I have pondered signing up for a month or so to get some daily coaching. But I have used one of my kids' coaches a little, and I follow the Basic Training workouts on that forum that Mark Johnston posts up.

Just got back from Lincoln, Nebraska, where I was co-driving my friend's Ford Fiesta ST at the SCCA Solo Nationals. That little car is a riot to drive!

Hi. I was at a Hooters car show in my 78 Trans Am and talked to a guy with one of those.
    He did some upgrades to his. He says he beats mustangs & camaros now. Could that be true?

Hi. I was at a Hooters car show in my 78 Trans Am and talked to a guy with one of those.
    He did some upgrades to his. He says he beats mustangs & camaros now. Could that be true?
    The turbo engine is pretty stout from the factory (~200hp/200ft-lb). Just reflashing the ECU to raise the boost limits can get you to ~210/240. And the car's pretty light (2700ish lbs) 240 ft-lbs would certainly move it with authority. But it's FWD so it's severely traction limited in the first two gears. And the gains get very small for the dollar from there.

Best case scenario, his car is on par, performance-wise, with a 4th gen F-body with the LT-1, or a 5th gen Mustang with the SOHC 4.6. Certainly no match for a 5th gen F-body with an LS3, a 6th gen F body with the new LT1, or a 6th gen Mustang with they 5 liter Coyote.

Speaking of pony cars and turbochargers, I watched a mostly stock 6th generation Camaro with the 2.0 liter turbo dominate a D-Street class filled with WRX's, BRZ's, FRS's, and MINI Cooper S turbos.
    Last edited by Gary P; September 14th, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Just got back from Lincoln, Nebraska, where I was co-driving my friend's Ford Fiesta ST at the SCCA Solo Nationals. That little car is a riot to drive!
    Pic attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiesta.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	11307  

Small displacement with turbos are putting out hp like old muscle cars! Watching "street outlaws" 1/8 miles drags, they seem to be gong to turbos rather than nitrious that blows up engines!

I have been into both big displacement V8's and small turbo 4's. I have a friend with a new Ford FOcus RS that makes about 500 horsepower. I still have a 67 GTO (400CI, or about 6.6 Liters). I used to have a 2.3L turbo 4 in a European Ford called a Merkur XR4Ti. It would absolutely blow the doors off of the GTO (the XR was very far from stock, but I had a car with $1000 in it and a lot of junkyard parts, and it was a 12 second car - that won't happen with big V8's). Of course, the sad thing is, most V6 family sedans are now faster than the old muscle cars.

Blog Entries

Well I am not a car geek. I've driven mostly Acura or Honda forever. I just bought my first new *new* car, in a long time - love my Honda Civic Touring! It's a quite small turbo engine, but I have been really happy with its responsiveness. I have to admit I also love the trim level's gadgetry and the LED lighting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f1refl1es! View Post
    Well I am not a car geek. I've driven mostly Acura or Honda forever. I just bought my first new *new* car, in a long time - love my Honda Civic Touring! It's a quite small turbo engine, but I have been really happy with its responsiveness. I have to admit I also love the trim level's gadgetry and the LED lighting.
    I just bought a 2017 CR-V that uses the same engine. I'm not going to win too many drag races with it, but I've been very impressed with the fuel economy. I've been averaging close to 35 mpg. My previous car was a V6 Toyota Rav-4 and I was lucky to get 25 mpg in that vehicle.

Fire -Myself and my adult kids like Hondas for quality and price as well as resale rewards. Most new cars have a lot of electronics in them to make life easier WHEN THEY WORK! My wife's Audi Q7 is a electrical nightmare and has been it the dealer so many time , we will never buy another!

Hi Kirk. What are you doing over here in non swimming? Good to see you here. I also have a CR-V 2016 that I have for hauling the grandkids around since the 2 of them don't seem to fit in my 2006 Corvette! By the way, is for sale if anyone is interested - PM me!
    I put the info screen on MPG and like to watch my MPG go up as I drive downhill to swim practice . I seem to get 4 MPG better on the way to practice than the 14 mile return trip.

Blog Entries

Sorry, wasn't watching this thread closely enough to see the earlier replies!

knelson, I guess I'm a little surprised that the RAV didn't get great mileage, but then, it can haul a good deal too. (DH looooves his slightly less new Odyssey, for just that reason).

orca, yep, you're right about WHEN THEY WORK. I had read a few really glowing reviews, about Audi's smartcar features. Sorry to hear your wife's is misbehaving, I realize that's a risk with all the new tech. My old Acura dealer also sold Audis, but the Acuras somehow always won me over. Hondas are a bit on the pricey side at new purchase, but boy, do they last! And they're not as pricey now as the Acuras or the Audis, which, together with the fuel efficiency now, makes the Hondas very appealing to me now that I'm a retiree.

I once rode in a friend's new Corvette, but, I felt as though I was lying down! I am short stature, and never could feel comfortable in either the Vette or in the Mustang, sad to say!
    Just enjoying swimming for fitness and relaxation, in Maryland

Fire- We just returned from New Delhi India with the craziest traffic I have ever seen!!! No rules or lanes - all cars and motor bikes just fill every inch of the road without any concern for your "personal space " or safety.

Blog Entries

My wife's Audi Q7 is a electrical nightmare and has been it the dealer so many time , we will never buy another!
    BMW's are the same

Does B M W stand for "break my wallet" ? Audi must have some set of derogatory name. The Audi will be sold as soon as the extended warranty is over !! I have a 40 year old Trans Am that has never had as many problems as the Audi Q7 !!

My 2006 Z-51 Corvette is for sale in Illinois. If anyone is interested PM me or just reply here.
    59,xxx miles with 3 thousand dollar chrome wheels and a carbon fiber hood along with many extras. Offered at $26,900

I have a 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan. It's not anything special, but it's mine, it's good on gas, and it's a solid, reliable car. I'm happy with it.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849