Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445

Thread: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

Re: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

Thanx - my brain is still processing the "0" viscosity. Will it lead to early engine problems?

Doug - by the way , I swam Nationals at Mesa last time it was there and was 1st in the 200 fly.
    I'm sure it will never happen again - all the planets lined up on that day!

Winter has finally broken in Illinois as of April 20th. I drove my T A out of storage and back home to the garage then rode my bicycle back the 9 miles to get my car that I drove the battery there in. Let the car season start!

Currently a Kia Sorrento...great vehicle...

I looked at KIA when buying a small suv to haul the grand kids around in. I ended up with a 2015 Honda CRV.

I have spoken with a few learned mechanics that have told me the best reason to go with the 0 -20 oil. The oil passages were made with this viscosity in mind and thicker will cause future problems. OK - I guess the engineers did this for a reason.

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Spring is knocking on the door, and I have convertible fever again. The prices on early Porsche Boxsters are almost as low as an equivalent miata. I'm getting very tempted.

Not sure how early you are looking at, but be sure to do some research regarding IMS failure as well as bore scoring. Porsche did away entirely with the IMS, as well as improve the oiling system, in 2009 for the Cayman (likely the same year for the Boxster though I'm not certain) and the used car prices seem to reflect that.
    I love the smell of neoprene in the morning!

-Dave Stark

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler View Post
    Not sure how early you are looking at, but be sure to do some research regarding IMS failure as well as bore scoring. Porsche did away entirely with the IMS, as well as improve the oiling system, in 2009 for the Cayman (likely the same year for the Boxster though I'm not certain) and the used car prices seem to reflect that.
    Yeah, I'm well aware of the IMS bearing issue. It's a big potential problem, for sure, but at least its a serviceable item. It's not cheap to replace, but it's not prohibitively expensive, either. I've seem estimates at $2000 on the low side, to somewhere around $3500 if you also do the rear main seal, replace the water pump, and put a fresh clutch in while you're got everything apart.

There seems to be a lot of paranoia over the IMS, particularly in the 996 911 market. That has really driven prices down on these cars. Now that i've gone down the Porsche rabbit hole, I've already gone past Boxster and am looking at '99-02 911s. I think there's a lot more mid-term upside value potential on those cars than on the early Boxsters.
    Last edited by Gary P; June 15th, 2016 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Yeah, I'm well aware of the IMS bearing issue. It's a big potential problem, for sure, but at least its a serviceable item. It's not cheap to replace, but it's not prohibitively expensive, either. I've seem estimates at $2000 on the low side, to somewhere around $3500 if you also do the rear main seal, replace the water pump, and put a fresh clutch in while you're got everything apart.

There seems to be a lot of paranoia over the IMS, particularly 996 911 market. That has really driven prices down on these cars. Now that i've gone down the Porsche rabbit hole, I've already gone past Boxster and am looking at '99-02 911s. I think there's a lot more mid-term upside value potential on those cars than on the early Boxsters.
    I think as long as you deal with it as a preventative maintenance item, and you have the earlier version of the engine that doesn't require a complete engine tear down to replace it, it's not something to be terrified of. Paranoia is a good way to describe this issue. There's actually a warning system you can install that is supposed to alert you of an impending IMS failure, though I'm unsure of its reliability.

A Cayman is on my wish list in the next few years. The 2006-2008 models are readily available and prices are much more favorable than the 2009-2012 models, which aren't as numerous. The drawback is the engine in the early models requires a disassembly of the case to repair or replace the IMS and if the car has been tracked much, there is potential of bore scoring. Since I'm still a year or three out from buying, I think a 2009 + model will be a better buy for me. The later model also gives the option of the PDK transmission. Manual is my preferred setup but I hear so many good things about the PDK that it will be worth a look.

-Dave Stark

The things you learn on a swimming website! I've been wanting to buy a used Cayman for a while now. Looks like I will need to learn sumpin 'bout this first.

I stopped by a local Porsche dealer last weekend with my wife and eldest daughter after a swim meet just to see if they had any 987.2 Cayman cars on the lot, and they did not. An eager yet inexperienced salesman insisted that I drive a 2016 model even though I repeatedly assured him it was well over my price range and it wouldn't result in a sale. I gave into the pressure and we took a Cayman base, equipped with the 7 speed PDK for a spin. The PDK is nothing short of excellent. Shifts are absolutely immediate yet not jarring and the rev matching on downshifts is a nice touch. There is no way somebody could shift a manual transmission as fast as the PDK accomplishes its shifts. The car sounds great, very throaty, and handles like a dream. I didn't beat on the engine too much as it had fewer than 100 miles on the ODO, but even under 4500 it pulled quite well. These cars are more about the complete package, to me, than being a drag strip tool anyhow. It would be hard not to have fun on a twisty road or a track driving school with this car.

This drive nearly assured that my future Cayman will be equipped with a PDK. Aside from the great performance, it also makes the car easier to drive for those not well versed with a manual (my wife) and in a used car, it more or less eliminates the possibility that the previous owner over revved the engine with mistaken gear selection or over aggressive downshifting.

-Dave Stark

So many drivers insist that a stick is the only "real sports car" are missing what you found out with the PDK.

Participating Member

Your gear should never fail you... hence; I have a pinarello dogma team sky and a pinarello paris for fun. Those are awesome bikes!

HI I'm not familiar with those names. Are they high end bikes or ones that hold up really well to the rigors of hard riding? I have had costly bikes that were not reliable as to others that were ridden hard and always worked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmadsen View Post
    Your gear should never fail you... hence; I have a pinarello dogma team sky and a pinarello paris for fun. Those are awesome bikes!
    My brother had a Pinarello years ago, in the late eighties. I think he had to sell the bike for food (student)

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    HI I'm not familiar with those names. Are they high end bikes or ones that hold up really well to the rigors of hard riding? I have had costly bikes that were not reliable as to others that were ridden hard and always worked.
    High end - they are pro tour bikes. They ride extremely well, but I rarely ride them hard... So they have not been costly maintenance wise YET...

Speaking of bikes ... In March I bought a 2016 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1. It is a road bike with flat handlebars, but you can fit relatively knobby tires on it if you want to take it on trails and it has a relatively small, light-weight frame (approx 20 lbs) so it's a great road bike but much more of a hybrid than my 25-year-old Trek hybrid, which had knobby tires but a huge heavy frame (approx 40 lbs). I absolutely love the Giant. It's great for my 35-mile commute over the mountain, comfortable, light weight, and it really is fast. It lists for $1,800 but I got it for $1,350 because the guy who ordered it ended up buying something else. I've had it for over 3 months, but I still grin every time I ride it--like a kid with a new bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...1/22178/83975/

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Speaking of bikes ... In March I bought a 2016 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1. It is a road bike with flat handlebars, but you can fit relatively knobby tires on it if you want to take it on trails and it has a relatively small, light-weight frame (approx 20 lbs) so it's a great road bike but much more of a hybrid than my 25-year-old Trek hybrid, which had knobby tires but a huge heavy frame (approx 40 lbs). I absolutely love the Giant. It's great for my 35-mile commute over the mountain, comfortable, light weight, and it really is fast. It lists for $1,800 but I got it for $1,350 because the guy who ordered it ended up buying something else. I've had it for over 3 months, but I still grin every time I ride it--like a kid with a new bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...1/22178/83975/
    Just had a look at the link, and it looks like a very nice bike:-)

I have build my own city bike, which is single speed. I had a pinarello montello 1985 frame painted black - the frame looked like **** anyways - and now it looks pretty normal so nobody wants to steal it. However, when you ride it you can still feel that the model has won the olympics!!!

normally I use the subway

OK ---If you ride the bike to & from the subway.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445