Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

Re: What are the cars/bikes/cycles you drive?

I just returned from Branson, mo. with 6 friends on our 5 gold winds & 2 sts 1100 sport/tour motorcycles. We did 2300 miles and about 10,000 turns in 8 days. I still chase the others as my skill/pucker level is just under what they do!

My wife's Audi Q 7 2012 3.0 liter gas engine with supercharger uses 1 qt of oil every 2-3000 miles. I have been told this is normal in S C engines. Do you think so?

I just ordered a car cover for the Trans Am. Coverking ,4 layer, dust cover for indoor storage. I ordered from Autoanything.com. I'll let you know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Wish it would snow here - that would be fun.
    I love it when it snows overnight. The commute to work becomes my own little "Rally Sweden" fantasy. I take the back way, trying to hit as many unplowed roads as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    My wife's Audi Q 7 2012 3.0 liter gas engine with supercharger uses 1 qt of oil every 2-3000 miles. I have been told this is normal in S C engines. Do you think so?
    I don't think the supercharger has much to do with it. That said, the push from ever-increasing fuel economy standards has driven manufacturers to build engines that are slightly "looser" and/or use thinner oil. The latest non-turbo Subaru 4-cylinders use 0W20! As a result, many modern cars consume more oil under normal operation than their predecessors did 10-20 years ago. Most manufacturer's have a threshold for "excessive consumption" of 1 quart every 1000-1200 miles.

How many miles on the Audi? Are you regularly towing or otherwise placing a higher-than-normal load on the engine?

Very Active Member

I just returned from Branson, mo. with 6 friends on our 5 gold winds & 2 sts 1100 sport/tour motorcycles. We did 2300 miles and about 10,000 turns in 8 days. I still chase the others as my skill/pucker level is just under what they do!
    I just got a 2001 suzuki 1200 bandit off of craigslist. It had been in storage for 6 years because the prior owner had bollux'd up all four carburetors putting on some hot-rod parts. Four diaphragms later, along with a couple of new tires and a chain and I have my first large bore touring bike. It is a hoot, though the season is about over. Next spring I'll have a chance to put on some miles. It is a nice bike, it is like an arm-chair with a 120 hp remote.

Fritz - that sounds like a fun ride! With the winter season soon to dump on us, fix/adjust the bike all winter long. Enjoy. Watch out for the Phone jerks that send more time looking at useless stuff rather than the road!!!!!!

Gary - 22,000 on theAudi. No towing & she never revs past 3K on the way to work or shopping. I am just not used to checking oil on a new car! My 1978 Trans Am does not use oil 37 years after I bought it!! I now have 65,00 miles on it.

I changed oil [ mobil 5-30] & filter on the vette today cuz it is 64 in Chicagoland in Nov. I'll take that temp any time this month.

Blog Entries

Normal, as in within acceptable range perhaps. You can check the compression of each cyclinder, maybe one is a little lower, unlikely though.

On boosted engines, the crankcase venting system check valve can allow a small portion of oil to get routed into the combustion chamber when going from boost and vacuum. This is normal, but a stuck check valve can make an engine burn excess oil. My car leaks so much in this (PCCV) system that I had to fit an oil catch, but it doesn't burn but maybe a half qt per 2000 miles
    Last edited by __steve__; November 5th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Thanx Steve for the info. Audi says this is normal & they are OK with it. I'm just not used to it.Any new cars in your future?

I ordered a new car cover for the 78 TA as the other one was flaking & falling apart. Autoanything.com has an indoor dust cover that allows some ding protection as well. Black sides with red as the middle color front to back.

Very Active Member

Oz - Check out this link to Guy Fieri's car collection.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/chefs/art...Car-Collection

Look at all the yellow cars! He is your automotive bro!

Cool Frank. I'm sure he has more $$$$ than I do & places to park all the toys.

So - my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 decided to not have any heat or fan on Mon. in Chicagoland where it is 10 degrees F. I dropped off my fob for the Vette & took the Audi to the dealer. They replaced the fan blower that cooked itself in 1 1/2 hours. Good for them ---BUT in the mean time she calls & swears at me/the car cuz the fob is dead & will not open the door or trunk !!!! She got a ride home from a friend. We went back later with my fob to start the car and return home. I replaced both fob batteries today!!!

Question - my daughter has a 2010 Toyota Venza 6 cyl.. It takes 6 1/2 qts . Syntetic oil 5-30. Her car is set to a 3,000 mile oil change. I think this is way too soon. I think 6,000 or so will be a good time to change it. What are your thoughts?

3000 seems awfully short for synthetic, especially with that much capacity. As long as she's using full synthetic, and not semi-synthetic, I would agree with a 6000 mile change. If anything, that's still slightly on the conservative side.

Gary - I am going to the dealer to find out how to reset the "read mist" light to 6 K not 3K. Thanx for the tips to my questions.
    how far is Monticello from Schaumburg.Il ?

how far is Monticello from Schaumburg.Il ?
    About 165 miles the short way, 175 the easy (all Interstate) way. Monticello is about mid-way between Champaign and Decatur.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839