Thread: Feeling Guilt from Missing Workout-- Normal?

Feeling Guilt from Missing Workout-- Normal?

I try to get in 4 to 6 swim workouts a week, but did not go this morning because I felt a little "twinge" in my left shoulder all day yesterday and I wanted to give it a rest for today. This means that I will be off two days in a row (I can't go on Wednesdays) and I hate that. I have been trying to give myself a break because I know I made the right decision, but I have been feeling guilty all day for missing! Am I crazy or what? Does anyone else give themselves these kinds of guilt trips when missing a workout? Is there something inherent about swimming that makes one obsessive compulsive about missing? Just wondering if I'm the only overly type-A character out here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and psychological support.

Blog Entries

Re: Feeling Guilt from Missing Workout-- Normal?

I've found that even if I'm sick, injured, or pressed for time, I feel better if I get into the water and do something. One time I injured my knee while running, and found flutter kick agonizing, so free and back were out for a few days. Dolphin kick wasn't too painful, so I was able to do some fly here and there. The rest of the time was spent doing... ugh... breaststroke. But I was still very glad to have gotten in the water.

I don't see that you are alone in feeling like this. I'm a huge creature of habit so I get crazy if I miss a workout because I can only squeeze in 3 or 4 a week - but at this point if I feel really crappy, or if an appendage really is wreaking havoc I'll rest it and not worry about it - I just take more care about all the other stuff, streatch, and know I'm not going to miss too much. Usually I find another way to burn the extra energy off. Swimming seems to be they type of exercise - maybe because we tend to time everything - that you don't want to take an unnecessary step back. However, if you are hurt and press it too much you may miss more than a workout or two. Don't beat yourself up, a little break can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySwimmer View Post
    Is there something inherent about swimming that makes one obsessive compulsive about missing? Just wondering if I'm the only overly type-A character out here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and psychological support.
    I'd argue that there might be something obsessive/compulsive that has made you a swimmer I rolled over and turned off the alarm clock this morning instead of getting up to swim because my shoulder has one of those funny "twinges" right now. It is really mentally difficult to take a day off, though. I've gotten much better about it the last year or so, but I think the chlorine addiction is pretty normal (around here, at least).

Blog Entries

I try to get in 4 to 6 swim workouts a week, but did not go this morning because I felt a little "twinge" in my left shoulder all day yesterday and I wanted to give it a rest for today. This means that I will be off two days in a row (I can't go on Wednesdays) and I hate that. I have been trying to give myself a break because I know I made the right decision, but I have been feeling guilty all day for missing! Am I crazy or what? Does anyone else give themselves these kinds of guilt trips when missing a workout? Is there something inherent about swimming that makes one obsessive compulsive about missing? Just wondering if I'm the only overly type-A character out here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and psychological support.
    I never really feel "guilty." I get pissed off if I miss workouts that I hadn't planned on. When I get a twinge in my left shoulder, which I have right now, I start kicking even more. Or I spin or run or do core work. Most swimmers seems to have a healthy OCD mindset. I actually don't know that many type B swimmers. So, I would give you a "normal" diagnosis.

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Salty, it just means you are not a true sprinter.

Hmm. I see I am not alone with the obsession for -- I mean love of -- swimming, and worrying about losing my amazing edge of 2.5 seconds per hundred that I have worked hard to lose, and I want to lose more, and if I don't keep up the hard work I won't lose more time, and I want to swim with quality and get as strong as I can, but I don't want to be overfocused on this one aspect of my life, as it were.

(See my post on swimming obsession?)

Yah. I like to remind myself that swimming most importantly gets me into the sunshine, away from my "home office" (kitchen table), and talking to people, even if my discourses are limited to single but clever words like "alveoli."

I get very cranky when I miss a workout.If I have shoulder twinges I swim one armed with more kicking only sets.I don't particularly recommend that however.Remember "normal" is just the middle of the Bell Shaped Curve and a synonym for average.You are not normal,you are a swimmer(which is much better.)
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Yes!! I feel mad, angry at myself and guilty all rolled in to one. I try not to miss and if I do I try to do some dryland to make up for it.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think most of us are that way, so you are normal.
    I try to remind myself if I swim more than 5 times a week I get A) a little burnt out, and B) my form and speed start to suffer.
    Usually if I respect my NEED for a day off here and there I am rewarded by feeling strong/positive/ and in control during my workouts!
    It is always better to leave feeling like you could have done more or worked harder than feeling like you can't wait for the workout to end.
    Also...... remember REST is a very important part of any training regimen.

After 2 hip replacements, I had to dial down the FIX I got from running!!!
    Now it comes from swimming & gym workouts - good but not the same

Very Active Member

I wish I had listened to my body more in my age-group / college days. I'm sure I could have been a better swimmer by doing better quality workouts instead of just grinding it out through pain and fatigue until taper. Now when I'm just not 'feeling it' - whether due to slight injury, fatigue, or just a sleepless night - I'll skip a workout and not feel guilty for five seconds. I have plenty of truly important aspects of my life to feel guilty about if I don't meet my own or someone else's expectations (relationships, career, childrearing, hot dog eating contests). I don't want my favorite hobby to ever be a source of such guilty. Enjoy the rest!

Participating Member

Also, the body releases β - Endorphins in response to physical activity and if you workout routinely, your body gets used to routine increases of the opiate like substance. So, essentially, on a physical level, your body hasn't gotten it's "fix" today, albeit a natural and healthy one, but one your body is missing none the less.

I have read that scientists are studying "endorphin" depletion in depressed people's brains, as opposed to serotonin whatever.

I always feel very happy after swimming until it fades, and then I kind of crash. People notice that I am witty and talkative in the locker room after practice (OK, "witty" is my perception; talkative, no doubts!).

I have skipped practice since Monday, bad bad bad. That's because, due to my obsession (other thread), I was trying someone's advice to swim in a T-shirt and tights, which I did on Sunday, and totally exhausted myself, since I had first taken the African dance class.

I was trying to build strength in my catch. I need to swim for sanity. I feel guilty when I miss practice because I fear I will lose my momentum and never get in the pool again. It's happened. But not this time. I have another thread from this forum about how to get to the pool when I don't wanna go, i.e., am endorphin-less/depressed. Very inspirational thread, that one. Am forever grateful to all who posted replies.

Participating Member

I've found that there is nothing more frustrating than missing a workout in swimming. I missed Tuesday due to what is evidently an epidemic (twinge in left shoulder, my swim partner has same issue too) and was all ready to swim yesterday (Wednesday). However, I swim at the local JCC (Jewish Community Center) and I am not Jewish. They had a holiday yesterday and it was closed. So I cursed myself even more than before for missing Tuesday, and I started to curse the entire Jewish religion, but decided that 5000 years of Jewish custom were a tad more important than my obsession to swim. The week before I swam 18,000 yards and wanted very much to do 36,000 in two weeks. Unless I'm in for a 6000 yard day, that's gonna be nearly impossible now. I'm not that strong yet. Crap.

Blue

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

hey salty,

see you're in austin
    wonder who you are?
    do your train with longhorn?

forgive yourself for skipping
    somes athletes with injuries show up for practice but don't do anything that hurts the injury,
    got shoulder pain, kick the whole practice
    got a bum knee, don't kick, soft push offs
    adjust work outs as needed
    tell your coach, OK here's the deal I ...

why do you feel guilty?
    isn't guilt like when you do something bad, you know, but your mom doesn't
    the truth is, in masters everyones busy, no one cares if you miss a practice or two,
    just do
    what you can,
    when you can
    how you can

I prefer not to miss because it might make my goal less likely to happen. Plus I feel better when I swim

Salty Be happy don't worry

ande

You are not alone. Swimming is relentless. Miss a day because your sick, have other obligations, or whatever, and I find that either my pace is off, or I seem to fatigue sooner. So mentally, if I don't get in the water, then I am fighting an uphill battle the next time I do get in.

My wife isn't a swimmer and she doesn't understand this "OCD" I have. I don't like the miss a practice. If I do, then I try and get in the next day. I prefer to swim with others versus solo. It helps me stay on pace.

I feel the same way you do. If I over sleep and am late to practice I still go even if it means only 20 min. in the pool, otherwise I will beat myself up all day.
    Recently my friend had his bachelor party in Las Vegas for 5 das , being the best man I had to go, well I didn't want to go because I felt like I had just reached a high level of swimming for this season and i didn't want to lose it by taking the time off, plus nationals is coming up and I have a meet this weekend and didn't want to get out of shape. (Vegas was apr. 6-10). I ended up having a great time in Vegas, but when you work so hard for something and have to stop it is really hard. I think I don't swim enough period and beat myself up constantly over it. I haven't met anyone in another sport who feels this way.
    I read an interview of Bob Bowman who sayed that missing a day of practice would require 4 days of practice to get back into shape (of course this is for an athlete as elite as Phelps) but it stuck in my head. Even though I am no where near as in shape as Phelps mentally I can't get it out of my head and it affects me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

If you want to laugh instead of feel guilty, read the thread underneath your posting called "latest excuse for missing workout," started by knelson.

I particularly like the response "TOM came to visit."

Participating Member

I feel no guilt just fatness!

Of course I only swim three days a week. A lot of you guys appear to be serious die hards!!
    Rich Waldis
    Free Swim Team Web Sites for Everyone!!
    www.swim-team.us
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]