Thread: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

Participating Member

Fee for All-American certificate and patch

I was very excited recently to receive a letter from Rob Butcher recognizing me as a 2008 USMS All-American which is an honor I have not acheived in 15 years! However, I was less than excited to read further and find out that I must pay a $5 fee if I want to receive a Certificate and patch memorializing this honor. Surely USMS could afford to provide the Certificate and patch to the 437 of us who worked so hard to achieve this recognition last year. After all, USMS provides Certificates to National record holders, and I'm sure that this accounts for just as many honorees. It seems like an annoyingly small cost to pass on to the members who are such remarkable ambassadors for our sport and our organization. Does anyone else think that requiring a payment for the award is petty?

Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

Quote Originally Posted by cathykohn View Post
    I was very excited recently to receive a letter from Rob Butcher recognizing me as a 2008 USMS All-American which is an honor I have not acheived in 15 years! However, I was less than excited to read further and find out that I must pay a $5 fee if I want to receive a Certificate and patch memorializing this honor. Surely USMS could afford to provide the Certificate and patch to the 437 of us who worked so hard to achieve this recognition last year. After all, USMS provides Certificates to National record holders, and I'm sure that this accounts for just as many honorees. It seems like an annoyingly small cost to pass on to the members who are such remarkable ambassadors for our sport and our organization. Does anyone else think that requiring a payment for the award is petty?
    The certificates for National Records have been coming from Tyr, at least through 2005, the last time I got one..

C'mon, it's only 5 bucks. You deserve it.
    Jim

Participating Member

That's true. The National Record Certificates are sponsored by TYR.

Very Active Member swimmieAvsFan's Avatar

That's true. The National Record Certificates are sponsored by TYR.
    is TYR still sponsoring the national record certificates? i was on a relay that set a national record in 2007, and never received a TYR certificate... i know relays in the past were given the TYR certificates, and they are still mentioned in the national record section of the website...

Mollie Grover
    Potomac Valley Top Ten Recorder
    USMS Rules committee

I have gotten mine, whether individual or relays, every yr from TYR. I usually get my patches at our Association banquet after our State Association meet which will be held in 2 weeks in Bend.

Stop silly posts

Why not just buy your own patch? It's five bucks. The cost for USMS would be over $2,000.

That's not petty.

Blog Entries

It was a nice touch, but I don't even want USMS to foot the bill for the postage, paper, and envelopes. Assuming the total cost, not even including labor time, i'd rather donote that $250ish amout to pay for snacks at nationals or annual convention hospitality.

Our "club" has been buying top ten patches for all our relay swimmers to encourage a "team atmosphere" within our extended series of workout groups which compose our club.

Maybe you could investigate having your club fund used to provide recognition to individuals and/or relays ?

Anthony Thompson
    MOVY (Missouri Valley) Masters

Quote Originally Posted by SwimTotoSwim View Post
    Our "club" has been buying top ten patches for all our relay swimmers to encourage a "team atmosphere" within our extended series of workout groups which compose our club.

Maybe you could investigate having your club fund used to provide recognition to individuals and/or relays ?

Anthony Thompson
    MOVY (Missouri Valley) Masters
    Our team buys AA certs/patches for relay members and even pays for relay costs at all meets.

For TT and individual AA's, you're on your own. We'd have to "up the dues" schedule to pay for it all if we included that as well.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Cathy - congrats on your accomplishment.

I know the recession is tough on All Americans - so I'll chip in the $5 for your patch and certificate.

Just let Tracy Grille (USMS front office) know and ask her to PM me. I've been procrastinating about sending my check so if I can help out, no problemo.
    Felipe

Congratulations. Pay the fee and move on. They may not be able to cover the S&H fees and just passing on that expense to you.

True. Everything costs money. No avoiding that!

Nice.