Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

  1. #1
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clayton, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    12

    Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    I was very excited recently to receive a letter from Rob Butcher recognizing me as a 2008 USMS All-American which is an honor I have not acheived in 15 years! However, I was less than excited to read further and find out that I must pay a $5 fee if I want to receive a Certificate and patch memorializing this honor. Surely USMS could afford to provide the Certificate and patch to the 437 of us who worked so hard to achieve this recognition last year. After all, USMS provides Certificates to National record holders, and I'm sure that this accounts for just as many honorees. It seems like an annoyingly small cost to pass on to the members who are such remarkable ambassadors for our sport and our organization. Does anyone else think that requiring a payment for the award is petty?

  2. #2
    Very Calm Member jim clemmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Quote Originally Posted by cathykohn View Post
    I was very excited recently to receive a letter from Rob Butcher recognizing me as a 2008 USMS All-American which is an honor I have not acheived in 15 years! However, I was less than excited to read further and find out that I must pay a $5 fee if I want to receive a Certificate and patch memorializing this honor. Surely USMS could afford to provide the Certificate and patch to the 437 of us who worked so hard to achieve this recognition last year. After all, USMS provides Certificates to National record holders, and I'm sure that this accounts for just as many honorees. It seems like an annoyingly small cost to pass on to the members who are such remarkable ambassadors for our sport and our organization. Does anyone else think that requiring a payment for the award is petty?
    The certificates for National Records have been coming from Tyr, at least through 2005, the last time I got one..

    C'mon, it's only 5 bucks. You deserve it.
    Jim

  3. #3
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clayton, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    12

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    That's true. The National Record Certificates are sponsored by TYR.

  4. #4
    Very Active Member swimmieAvsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    476

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Quote Originally Posted by cathykohn View Post
    That's true. The National Record Certificates are sponsored by TYR.
    is TYR still sponsoring the national record certificates? i was on a relay that set a national record in 2007, and never received a TYR certificate... i know relays in the past were given the TYR certificates, and they are still mentioned in the national record section of the website...

    Mollie Grover
    Potomac Valley Top Ten Recorder
    USMS Rules committee

  5. #5
    Very Active Member joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukie, Or
    Posts
    132

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    I have gotten mine, whether individual or relays, every yr from TYR. I usually get my patches at our Association banquet after our State Association meet which will be held in 2 weeks in Bend.

  6. #6
    Stop silly posts
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    756

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Why not just buy your own patch? It's five bucks. The cost for USMS would be over $2,000.

    That's not petty.

  7. #7
    Very Active Member chowmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    474
    Blog Entries
    238

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    It was a nice touch, but I don't even want USMS to foot the bill for the postage, paper, and envelopes. Assuming the total cost, not even including labor time, i'd rather donote that $250ish amout to pay for snacks at nationals or annual convention hospitality.

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Roeland Park, KS
    Posts
    61

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Our "club" has been buying top ten patches for all our relay swimmers to encourage a "team atmosphere" within our extended series of workout groups which compose our club.

    Maybe you could investigate having your club fund used to provide recognition to individuals and/or relays ?

    Anthony Thompson
    MOVY (Missouri Valley) Masters

  9. #9
    Very Calm Member jim clemmons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Quote Originally Posted by SwimTotoSwim View Post
    Our "club" has been buying top ten patches for all our relay swimmers to encourage a "team atmosphere" within our extended series of workout groups which compose our club.

    Maybe you could investigate having your club fund used to provide recognition to individuals and/or relays ?

    Anthony Thompson
    MOVY (Missouri Valley) Masters
    Our team buys AA certs/patches for relay members and even pays for relay costs at all meets.

    For TT and individual AA's, you're on your own. We'd have to "up the dues" schedule to pay for it all if we included that as well.
    Jim

  10. #10
    Very Active Member pdjang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    147
    Blog Entries
    42

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Cathy - congrats on your accomplishment.

    I know the recession is tough on All Americans - so I'll chip in the $5 for your patch and certificate.

    Just let Tracy Grille (USMS front office) know and ask her to PM me. I've been procrastinating about sending my check so if I can help out, no problemo.
    Felipe


    Quote Originally Posted by cathykohn View Post
    I was very excited recently to receive a letter from Rob Butcher recognizing me as a 2008 USMS All-American which is an honor I have not acheived in 15 years! However, I was less than excited to read further and find out that I must pay a $5 fee if I want to receive a Certificate and patch memorializing this honor. Surely USMS could afford to provide the Certificate and patch to the 437 of us who worked so hard to achieve this recognition last year. After all, USMS provides Certificates to National record holders, and I'm sure that this accounts for just as many honorees. It seems like an annoyingly small cost to pass on to the members who are such remarkable ambassadors for our sport and our organization. Does anyone else think that requiring a payment for the award is petty?

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    57

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Congratulations. Pay the fee and move on. They may not be able to cover the S&H fees and just passing on that expense to you.

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    57

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    True. Everything costs money. No avoiding that!

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    57

    Re: Fee for All-American certificate and patch

    Nice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •