Thread: Cap won't stay on (woman)

Cap won't stay on (woman)

I'm having swim cap issues. I normally wear a silicon regular normal cap, and have worn latex in the past. However, I put my cap on dry and put my hair in a couple of ponytail holders underneath, then the goggles on top. During my workouts my cap slides up so my hair starts falling out of the bottom and then gets in the way. Plus it's uncomfortable and starts pulling on my goggles. My hair really isn't that long--not even to my shoulders. And it's not majorly thick, either--a little, but not very thick. (OK, no big head jokes )

I have to constantly pull it down during my workout which wastes time and does no good anyway. Short of getting out to redo it all, how can I get the cap to stay on so everything stays where it is supposed to? Should I put it on wet head, pull my hair up differently, try another brand, any ideas? Please help!
    be cool in the pool!! swim, girl, swim.

Re: Cap won't stay on (woman)

I wear a laytex cap and it's doing the same thing. I think it's the fact that the cap is stretched out. Mine is a team cap so I won't get a new one but try a new cap and see if that helps.

try getting the inside of you cap wet before you put it on

I've noticed that cap sizes differ by brand, and have different inclinations to light out independently for the next lane. Some caps are built bigger to accommodate a pony tail or equivalent. I prefer to put a wet cap on wet hair.

Some caps are smaller than others , try another brand.

Should it be bigger or smaller?
    be cool in the pool!! swim, girl, swim.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

You probably will have to try a few before you find one that fits. I have always had a problem finding caps that fit.
    I have very fine hair, and not much of it. My hair is shoulder length and I have to put it in a ponytail to stay in the cap. I bought a junior size silicone cap to wear. It was fine for the first part of the workout but it got too tight so now I just wear it for meets.
    Most online swim shops (swimoutlet, kastaway, etc) have decent prices for latex caps. Most should be around 2 bucks or less. Speedo, TYR offer junior size caps in silicone and latex. I say buy a couple and try them on. Good luck!

PS-If your hair is falling out of the cap it is probably too big.

Do you put conditioner or other "product" on your hair before putting on the cap?

Are the tops of your ears tucked into the cap ? Or are the ears completely not in the cap?

The position of the ponytails may make a difference, ie, at the nape of the neck vs a topknot or pigtails.

Try using some hair gel, seriously. Just in the front. Superglue. Only washes out better.

Also - the first thing I do in the pool is press on the top of the cap to get rid of the air bubble inside.

Love SWIMMING! Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar

#1 - Hair has to be wet when the cap goes on.
    If you are worried about your beautiful hair, rinse it in freshwater (saturate) in the shower before you jump in the chorinated pool!

#2 - pull your cap down in front but be sure the cap does not interfere with the seal of your goggles.

#3 - someone else mentioned hair products - mainly conditioner. Seriously... this is a SLIMEY OILY substance. No matter how expensive the price!
    If you have it in your hair, your swim cap - especially a silicone cap - will slip!

#4 - Great advice about ponytail placement - one goggle strap high and one strap low... then seal up the goggles well and go!

Blog Entries

Wet hair and wet cap definitely. I've noticed a big difference since I started completely wetting my hair before swim - it grips better AND rinses out any slippery product in your hair

dome-style cap (silicone) seems to stay on way better for me than the flat ones

Unless the cap edge is on skin, it's going to keep sliding up no matter what so make sure every little piece is tucked in. I have a low hairline in back so I have a real hard time keeping my cap down in the back.

pressing down to get out all air periodically helps

Wearing the goggle strap high has helped too - keeps the pressure on the top of the head, not the back of the head where it seems to pinch the cap off the way you pinch the skin off a grape.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rinse off all hair products before you swim....face cream can make cap slippery around edges too. Pull cap down on your forhead and well over ears too. High ponytails work best for me. Split straps mold to head better than a single strap.

Red face Re: Cap won't stay on (woman)

Yours is a common problem, look around the pool you will see others doing the same pulling and tugging after each other lap. The silicon caps are somewhat small otherwise they would come right off. There smooth on the inside and have no edge or seal to hold them in place, You can try a silicon "swim band" under your cap or over it overlapping the two to form one cap. Theres a long hair cap from Speedo which has a bit more room. Or you can try a retro bubble strap cap that comes in head sizes and lots of colors in the regular size these work very well and are the easiest caps to put on and take off. Any of these ideas may solve your problem. But trying different silicon caps probably will not. Theres only a couple places on earth that actually make them and dozens that sell (market) them with their name, the difference in size is not much.

See

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/swimband.html for ideas on the home made swimband

Very Active Member

Guys wear caps too, and sometimes face the same issues ladies do. I've been wearing caps for years. I have short hair now, but I started wearing caps when I had long hair for a couple of years.

When it was long, I would always pull it back into a ponytail, and then wet it thoroughly in the shower before going out to the pool. I would twist the ponytail so that it all was going in the same direction (and it all got a little shorter from the twisting), bend forward in the shower so that the ponytail layed over the top of my head and then put the cap on. (Didn't matter if latex or silicone, but latex was a bit easier to work with.) It's easier to manage if the cap is also wet when you put it on. When I'd stand up, I would have a ponytail ridge along the top of my head. (Think Worf if you are a Star Treck fan. Hey, we aren't in a beauty contest when we're swimming, OK? Swimming beauty is in our stroke, not our cap!) Working it this way, I never had a problem with the cap moving much (if at all) when I swam with long hair.

I've long since moved beyond my long-hair days. I actually sport a buzz cut now, but I still wear a cap. Once I got used to the feel of a cap in my hippie days, I couldn't go back. I think the major reason I still wear a cap is that it holds my ears back. I don't have big ears, but I still don't like the feel of water behind my ears (and, if I'm going particularly hard, I don't like the feel of my ears bending down from the force of the water.) So I wear a cap, no matter how short my hair is.

I find that some caps are better than others. I'm not big on spending a lot for caps, but I find the varions "grab bag" offers from catalogs get me cost-effective caps. Keifer has the cheapest that I have ever found. But I find them a little sloppier that others, and they tend to split quicker. I tend to get latex caps at "The Finals" grab bag price.

Once I got a great deal on Silicone caps from some catalog (can't find where it was from now...) They were "misprints", and they were only $2.50 each. Silicone caps! They last as long as any other silicone cap, but they just have some misprint from some high school's team logo. I really don't care what's on my cap. Wish I had bought more.

I have this same problem. The Speedo Long Hair cap solved it until the darn thing ripped a while back. I've been making do with the regular one but my hair is getting longer and this cap thing won't last much longer.

All these tips are great. But for a sure fire thing...get a long hair cap. My hair right now isn't that long..just touches my shoulders and is of medium thickness and the long hair cap works great. I'll be ordering myself another one this week.