Thread: 800 free relay at nationals

Participating Member

800 free relay at nationals

I'd like to recommend an 800 free relay at nationals. I propose allowing teams to enter only one relay per age range and holding it at the end of the day on Thursday, the distance day. And I would seed it by time rather than age group. It would also make the distance day more a part of the meet, rather than a travel day for everyone but the distance folks. I'm soooo tired of sprinters getting all the glory.

Question 800 Free Relay

You're "tired of sprinters getting all the glory." ....Huh? Sprinters do get glory on the 50's and 100's but after that you have 200's(middle distance), 400's, 500yd, 800m, 1000yd,1500m and 1650yd. races. You also have open water swims all spring and summer for those that like the distance swims. There are even national championships for different distances!
    I'm a sprinter/middle distance swimmer. I choose not to do distance swims. I used to swim open water races and LOVED them but hurt my shoulder so badly I had to have surgery and MONTHS of pain and physical therapy.
    Lets appreciate each others abilities and swim for the health of it . My hats off to those swimmers that can swim mega distance. But, please respect the sprinters and middle distance swimmers for their hard work and talent too!