View Poll Results: How many hours do you watch TV a day?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1

23 48.94%
  • 1-2

14 29.79%
  • 2-3

5 10.64%
  • More

5 10.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, How Many Hours Do You Watch TV?

OK, How Many Hours Do You Watch TV?

Since I am probably going to go cold turkey on TV, I am curious about how many hours/day swimmers watch TV. I think TV viewing should include watching swim races during work hours even if on your computer, but perhaps that's not fair.

I tried to attach this to my fascinating HD box thread, but couldn't.

I watch about 2.5 to 3 hours a day (ooooh, bad). Not every day, but often enough.

Poll Options: 0-1 hour/day
    1-2 hours/day
    2-3 hours/day
    More than 3 hours/day

Hmm. I don't see any automatic poll appearing, so may not be doing this right. Heck, it's 4 a.m. as always. I am working, at least.

Re: OK, How Many Hours Do You Watch TV?

Oh, that first vote was mine and looks ugly! I'm just curious. Maybe, just maybe, you should count watching swimming while at work, but that is probably on your computers.

So for me it's junk TV, at least 2 hours usually, and 1 hour of news.

I'm about to go cold turkey as you all have been avidly following.

So I'm just curious about everyone else on this forum.

I should be here:

But instead I am working on a deadline I have procrastinated.

No TV.
    A little vegging out is fine, maybe necessary. But TV is pernicious. Amazing what one can accomplish with another 2-3 hours every day!

Yeah, so I was able to pick the 0-1 option (except for Saturdays and Sundays in football season). Now ask me how many hours I've wasted playing on-line poker.

I turn it on but a lot of time it's just a talking lamp.

Even with cable + movie channels, there is a whole lot of nothing. I avoid watching the news as it's less about important facts and more about stirring up emotions. I avoid anything with a laugh track.

I have enjoyed watching Universal Sports with the cycling and swimming coverage, although Rowdy is a little hard to listen to for extended periods.

At 63 & retired, I don't have to be up early. I have been watching the Giro d'italy every night from 10 - 12. Very cool coverage of the race.

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

I've done the "give TV up for Lent" the last few years... it's amazing how much more time you have to do things, and how much more sleep you get. Outside of Lent, I really don't have the time between work, theater, swimming and walking the dog.

How do people get their news? Radio? Especially local news. I kind of like watching the evening local and national news on TV. True, there is often a hysteria to certain kinds of news (flu comes to mind; two more schools in Boston closed yesterday for flu, but now it's no biggie on local TV; just announced, but I like knowing that the flu is flying around my town more than others).

I find it a pain to wait for all the ads to load on my computer to check online papers.

I kind of get depressed by NPR.

So if you don't watch TV, how do you stay up-to-date on news? Or do you?

OK now we are watching the National spelling bee. 2 hours.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have that Spelling Bee on too!

Quote Originally Posted by isobel View Post
    So if you don't watch TV, how do you stay up-to-date on news?
    I skim the headlines on the local newspaper website and a few others and just read the stories that appeal. They load quick enough on my internet connections / pop-up blockers.

The printed newspaper was a colossal waste of paper - over an inch thick each day. It was delivered in the morning but I didn't read it until that evening, at which time the "important" news was already stale. Usually it ended up in the recycle bin unread. I changed to a weekend-only subscription but kept getting it during the week anyhow.

Radio is too much of a distraction for me when driving, and I often bike commute to work anyhow where auditory entertainment is strictly against my safety "rules".

I'm starting to mistrust the honesty factor here. Just glanced at Ande's post about "American Idol"; um, 500+ people read that thread and 20 people had comments.

Ahem.

Sex and the City? Leno? The Simpsons? The New Adventures of the Old Christine? The Office? Late-night reruns when you can't sleep? And this is all non-cable. OK. Confessional: Gossip Girl? The new and awful 90210? No one wastes their time but me like this? Sigh. Shame. Will swim extra tomorrow.

But today I haven't watched any TV. I swam, went to Ipswich and played on the playground with my nephew, and now I am rereading my book that is due on Tuesday. And I finished reading BABBITT by Sinclair Lewis, just for fun.

But I still like TV.

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

I haven't had TV since October, and I only really miss it for sports. I prefer to waste my time on the internet.

Blog Entries

the poll should have zero..... i haven't had a tv for over four years.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am with Isobel.

I love TV. The smartest guy I ever knew also loved TV. When people told him that TV is a wasteland, he used to reply, "I taught myself how to read watching TV." He was 3.

I think that trash television is a great stress reliever. I read somewhere that your brain goes into Alpha State within 17 seconds of turning on the TV.

Trash TV has certain requirements.

It must be entertaining enough to keep you awake, because if you fall asleep, your brain goes into other states that aren't as relaxing as Alpha State.

But it must not be so entertaining as to provoke you into thinking or feeling anything significant of exciting.

The last thing an overstress mind wants at the end of the day is more overstimulation from the TV.

Shows like Jake and The Fatman (sadly, discontinued) and Mannix were perfect trash tv shows, because you could figure out the villains within 20 seconds, and then tuba music (at least in Jake and the Fatman) would signal time for action and arrest and justice.

Action, of course, being of the sort that virtually never caused you to spill your beer.

Book em, Dano.

The Golden Age, where has thou gone?

An interesting companion poll might be this: How much time do you waste on USMS.org and/or Facebook?

All too much, sadly. All too much.

Blog Entries

I'm not a huge TV watcher, but it certainly has its moments. I never quite understood why people think reading is such a more worthy activity. I don't see that one is inherently better than the other. I love a good book, too, but there's been some damn good TV over the years. And let's be honest, everyone needs some down time to just kick back the recliner and veg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I'm not a huge TV watcher, but it certainly has its moments. I never quite understood why people think reading is such a more worthy activity. I don't see that one is inherently better than the other. I love a good book, too, but there's been some damn good TV over the years. And let's be honest, everyone needs some down time to just kick back the recliner and veg.
    i refuse to buy into any cable package until a la carte channel selection is offered...... thats my gripe with TV. its a service provider issue.

Last week I hot hooked watching the bike race Giro d'talia. It had Lance & many others that will be in the Tour de France. 2 hours a night.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isobel, it looks like it's just the two of us, logging multiple hours per day in front of our respective TVs, hoping to keep an outdated technology alive.

And all around us are hypocrites who understate their viewing habits!

Last night I wanted to watch the NBC special about the White House. I was told that I would have to watch it (on our 40" LCD TV) over the airwaves using RABBIT EARS, because the DVR was already programmed to record two other shows simultaneously. (Comment from across the room: "One wasn't a show. It was a hockey game.")

As fate would have it, as the rabbit ears were being connected, there was a bright spark and a "pop". It is still not clear whether the spark originated from said rabbit ears or from the nearby lamp. Both were immediately unplugged, and it has been decreed that the Radio Shack rabbit ears will never be physically connected to the high-priced TV again. One of the scheduled recordings was canceled, and I got to watch the White House special.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast