Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with a slow non-stop swimmer in your lane?

How do you deal with a slow non-stop swimmer in your lane?

There is a swimmer in our pool whose appearance is "dreaded" by many of us. As soon as she enters your lane and starts her laps, the whole lane gets slowed down for a at least an hour, because, #1, she never stops and never give a chance to others when she's at the end of the pool and is going for another lap while another swimmer had been waiting to start; #2, whenever she encounters someone during the laps (whether in the same or opposite direction), she would continue as if others don't exist, as if it's her own lane and as if she's thinking "get out of my way please"; #3, and that's the most important point: she's slower than all the others in the lane. So everyone else has to slow down because the lane is not so wide, and from time to time you see people try everything they could to get around her, or backstrokers hitting her from behind (and she would still go on like you were just a fly).

She usually continues like this for at least one hour, could be 90 minutes. She probably has her rule in mind, to never stop during the lap. That's fine as many of people here do that, but that works only if your speed is comparable to the others sharing the lane.

What's the best way to deal with such a fellow swimmer?
    Last edited by ddl; May 28th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: How do you deal with a slow non-stop swimmer in your lan

Swim fast, kick hard.....make as much wake as possible. Me being 6'1, 230 with a shaved head is usually intimidating enough. If not.....make em' feel like they're in the ocean!

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    Swim fast, kick hard.....make as much wake as possible. Me being 6'1, 230 with a shaved head is usually intimidating enough. If not.....make em' feel like they're in the ocean!
    Please come over to our lane!
    (I thought you didn't need a cap? )

Blog Entries

I'm not saying do this but.....I've seen people get stitches, bloody noses, black eyes, broken fingers, etc from being hit in the face (or elsewhere) by butterflyers and people with paddles during pulling sets in practice through the years.

and just forget it if you are doing a butterfly pulling set with paddles! (I still use my BIG blue ones with the drilled holes that I used in college)

if they don't have a care in the world, why should you (plus you were there first, you have dibs, you have rights....)

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd grab her by the ankles to stop her, ask her to remove her goggles, then I'd look her straight in the eyes and explain proper swim lane etiquette
    to her. (has anyone talked to her yet) I'd be polite but firm! If this didn't work I'd make sure my facility has lap lane etiquette posted somewhere and I'd let the lifeguard do the dirty work.

Blog Entries

Swim breaststroke ahead of her...wear a ripped through the seat old suit.. she'll get the message...

The pools I swim at never get more then 2 people in a lane so I guess I'm lucky. Usually you kinda scope out whose your speed. I've been doing a lot of SYC lately so I stop a lot but I try not to get in their way.

I have however have had kids just cross the pool and get into the lane, almost hit one the other day.

Has anyone talked to this swimmer about rules to use?? If not,, do so next time , if yes & this continues -- take your lane back & swim over - into & on this problem. When we talk to swimmers that still don't listen, we flip & push off those that stop in the middle of the wall. They get the idea really fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Swim breaststroke ahead of her...wear a ripped through the seat old suit.. she'll get the message...
    Only works if she has her eyes open while swimming...

I don't think anyone has talked to her about it (heck how can you have a chance to talk to her when she never stops the laps). I suppose she's aware that she's making inconvenience for others since it's so obvious. Maybe she wants to brag "I swim nonstop for ... miles/hours". When you have such a swimmer it is worse than those static old swimmers: the latter blocks you only at one spot, where they are, whereas the nonstop swimmer blocks you for the entire length: you have to follow her speed all the way.

How good are your underwaters? If it's deep enough that's always an option. If you pass her enough times this way maybe she'll get the hint...

Participating Member

She has as much right to a good swim in that lane as you do. Deal with it and get over yourselves.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Very Active Member

I swim in a pool now that has a lot of slow swimmers and narrow lanes. A couple of the slow swimmers use paddles and refuse to share. Being 5 6 and 145 pounds and old the two fools swinging those paddles scare me. My solution was to go around and under them making as much turbulence as possible on my way by. Fly is a good weapon as you can keep track of them and at the last moment go under them with a well timed wave of water just as they breath. Please be careful swinging those paddles around.

Participating Member

You know, that's just so courteous, making waves, pulling ankles...and so effective at making friends, teaching etiquette and promoting the sport.

Whenever I'm impossibly matched in a lane (either too slow or too fast), I just get out. It's just not my time to swim.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSwimmer View Post
    You know, that's just so courteous, making waves, pulling ankles...and so effective at making friends, teaching etiquette and promoting the sport.

Whenever I'm impossibly matched in a lane (either too slow or too fast), I just get out. It's just not my time to swim.
    My etiquette is a direct reflection of their etiquette.

From the original post this person has no business being in their lane (unless all the other lanes are packed with folks). I don't go onto a Tennis court next to a couple good players start hacking balls into their court....same premise.

Participating Member

The thing is - this person may be clueless as to etiquette. Sometimes it's worth explaining it, and sometimes you'll just be met with a blank stare. In any case, the slow person has as much right to swim as the fast people do. Most of the plodders I've met don't know how to swim anything other than straight laps (nor do they want to). It there's a "slow" lane marked, the person should be directed there, but if it's every swimmer for themselves...oh well. We all have a right to the water.

She has as much right to a good swim in that lane as you do. Deal with it and get over yourselves.
    But to use your own words, you have as much right to a good swim in that lane as she does.

I kind of feel as the faster swimmer, I need to watch for the slower swimmer. I am the one that comes up on them.

I guess I don't understand why this person cannot be passed, even in a narrow lane. Are you splitting the lane or circle swimming? It seems in circle swimming, if you continually pass this person on the left, they would get that when someone is coming by to stay over. I don't think there is a need to hurt them or drown them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    My etiquette is a direct reflection of their etiquette.

From the original post this person has no business being in their lane (unless all the other lanes are packed with folks). I don't go onto a Tennis court next to a couple good players start hacking balls into their court....same premise.
    100% agree. First, do try talking to her. If that doesn't work, just keep swimming and if you end up running over the top of her...that's her fault. At some point, it's happened to all of us. You eventually learn if someone faster is coming up on you or find a lane more suited for your speed.

Blog Entries

My take is that if this isn't an organized swim workout, you really can't say anything, she has just as much right to be there as you. If, however, it is a formal workout and/or you and your training parters are already in the lane then you have every right to tell her what you will be doing and then hope she moves on. But, still, absent a formal sponsored workout by the facility, she has just as much right to be in that lane as you. It would also make me crazy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    My take is that if this isn't an organized swim workout, you really can't say anything, she has just as much right to be there as you. If, however, it is a formal workout and/or you and your training parters are already in the lane then you have every right to tell her what you will be doing and then hope she moves on. But, still, absent a formal sponsored workout by the facility, she has just as much right to be in that lane as you. It would also make me crazy.
    But, they can talk to her about when people want to pass her, how she should let the faster one's go around her at the wall. Plus, if there are other lanes open, ask her to find one with similar speed.

This lady has to know that she is lower than the other people in the lane. Yea, she has the right but it doesn't mean she should.

If common sense approach doesn't work...go with Lump's idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast