Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

  1. #1
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Hi all,

    Any mid-Atlantic folk planning on this one?

    Here's the link:

    http://www.lmsports.com/wwsplash.pdf

    This is a nice, low-key bay swim, generally swimmer-friendly weather, in my experience. Water temp around low 70s (just a guess based on feel).

    They have one and two mile swims, plus a 1/4 mile for kids. I'm looking at the two miler this time around--have done the mile in the past.

    Hope to see some of you there!

  2. #2
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    I did the 2-mile last September and it was a fun race. There was one part of the course where the water was colder than the rest of it. The temperature was great and the tide was high This way, no issues with those rocks on the bay floor They can be treacherous.


    There are alot of swims going on at the Jersey Shore. If you are really ambitious, there are some weekends where there is a Friday night OW swim and then a Saturday morning one. I did the AC one last weekend but there were several people there that did the Somers Point swim the night before.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

  3. #3
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Lots more Jersey shore swims I'd do but cash-strapped for now. I liked the Rainbow Channel Challenge which I did a few years ago--nice beach towels as their Schwag!

    Also have done Plunge for Patients but couldn't make it this year.

    I know what you mean about those rocks in Sept. Splash... when I did the mile swim two years ago, I think that slipping and sliding on the rocks at the end added at least 30 seconds, maybe a min. to my time. Still, it was a fun swim other than that!

  4. #4
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyInnerFish View Post
    Lots more Jersey shore swims I'd do but cash-strapped for now. I liked the Rainbow Channel Challenge which I did a few years ago--nice beach towels as their Schwag!

    Also have done Plunge for Patients but couldn't make it this year.

    I know what you mean about those rocks in Sept. Splash... when I did the mile swim two years ago, I think that slipping and sliding on the rocks at the end added at least 30 seconds, maybe a min. to my time. Still, it was a fun swim other than that!
    I got the entry form for the Bradley Beach Swim on the 4th and it is like 15 bucks which is kind of cheap for an OW swim. I had to miss the Plunge for Patients due to a 2-day USA-S meet in South Jersey. I guess that I could have done it but I didn't have any place to crash at the Shore that night. I would do the Rainbow but it is few days before for Nationals. Man, I rather get a towel than another T-shirt. Ah well, maybe I can do it next year or something.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

  5. #5
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    I got the entry form for the Bradley Beach Swim on the 4th and it is like 15 bucks which is kind of cheap for an OW swim. I had to miss the Plunge for Patients due to a 2-day USA-S meet in South Jersey. I guess that I could have done it but I didn't have any place to crash at the Shore that night. I would do the Rainbow but it is few days before for Nationals. Man, I rather get a towel than another T-shirt. Ah well, maybe I can do it next year or something.
    Bradley Beach sounds good if I didn't already have plans for the 4th.

    As for the towel... Can't remember when RBC is, but instead, maybe you could do the Great South Bay Swim... July 24... you'd get a towel there--AND a t-shirt! You seem as if you'd be good for 5.25 miles. I'm not doing it this year--not enough distance training... might try to get there to volunteer. Hope to do it next year again! It's a great race, very, very well organized!

    Check it out: www.greatsouthbayswim.com

    They cap it at 100, so you might need to sign up quickly--they may be sold out.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member Swimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    492

    Smile Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    I went to the Plunge For Patients this year, but it got cancelled by the Coast Guard due to expected thunder storms. Still got the t shirt and gift bag stuff. I have done the September Splash twice. Last year they had built a staircase at the finish line so you do not have to run on the rocks. Much better! I am doing the Dolphin Swim and OC Masters this year. When is Rainbow Channel?
    Life is simple...Eat, Sleep, Swim!
    www.terrapinmasters.org

  7. #7
    Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Posts
    1,243

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Swimmy View Post
    I went to the Plunge For Patients this year, but it got cancelled by the Coast Guard due to expected thunder storms. Still got the t shirt and gift bag stuff. I have done the September Splash twice. Last year they had built a staircase at the finish line so you do not have to run on the rocks. Much better! I am doing the Dolphin Swim and OC Masters this year. When is Rainbow Channel?
    Hey Swimmy -

    How are you?

    Rainbow Channel is listed as 1 August on www.dvmasters.org site. Keep in mind that it is in a different location than it used to be - it's no longer in Kennedy Park, but at the Pleasantville yacht club. Also, last year, I think it was listed as 2 miles and not the 2.6 that it used to be. I hope to get ther, but things have been awfully hairy of late, so we'll see. Hope to see you soon.

    -LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

  8. #8
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyInnerFish View Post
    Bradley Beach sounds good if I didn't already have plans for the 4th.

    As for the towel... Can't remember when RBC is, but instead, maybe you could do the Great South Bay Swim... July 24... you'd get a towel there--AND a t-shirt! You seem as if you'd be good for 5.25 miles. I'm not doing it this year--not enough distance training... might try to get there to volunteer. Hope to do it next year again! It's a great race, very, very well organized!

    Check it out: www.greatsouthbayswim.com

    They cap it at 100, so you might need to sign up quickly--they may be sold out.
    It is in Fire Island and like 50 bucks. It sounds too complicated to do. Apparently, you did a kayaker or something. Plus, I definitely don't want to do an event 2 weeks before Indy. Not to mention, the tolls just to get into Long Island, . Maybe, I can find something in late August that is 3 miles or more.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

  9. #9
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Swimmy View Post
    I went to the Plunge For Patients this year, but it got cancelled by the Coast Guard due to expected thunder storms. Still got the t shirt and gift bag stuff. I have done the September Splash twice. Last year they had built a staircase at the finish line so you do not have to run on the rocks. Much better! I am doing the Dolphin Swim and OC Masters this year. When is Rainbow Channel?
    I wonder if the team with the more participants to use of the Pier. Apparently, alot of people at my Y did it just for the Amusement park use or something. Apparently, it was canceled last year too. I did it in 2004 when it was a 1 mile was a USMS National Championships.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

  10. #10
    Very Active Member Swimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    492

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    I wonder if the team with the more participants to use of the Pier. Apparently, alot of people at my Y did it just for the Amusement park use or something. Apparently, it was canceled last year too. I did it in 2004 when it was a 1 mile was a USMS National Championships.
    They were giving away free passes for the Pier, but I just wanted to swim. That was the first time I have had a race cancelled for weather. I guess I have been lucky.
    Life is simple...Eat, Sleep, Swim!
    www.terrapinmasters.org

  11. #11
    Very Active Member Swimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    492

    Smile Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    Hey Swimmy -

    How are you?

    Rainbow Channel is listed as 1 August on www.dvmasters.org site. Keep in mind that it is in a different location than it used to be - it's no longer in Kennedy Park, but at the Pleasantville yacht club. Also, last year, I think it was listed as 2 miles and not the 2.6 that it used to be. I hope to get ther, but things have been awfully hairy of late, so we'll see. Hope to see you soon.

    -LBJ
    Hi Leonard,
    Hope things are okay. I am busy with a swim team social outing that day, so I will have to do Rainbow Channel some other year. I do hope to do the September Splash again. Maybe we will see each other again then. Are you doing the Chester River this year? It is on the same day as the Dolphin Swim, so I will miss that one too.
    Hang in there!
    Swimmy
    Life is simple...Eat, Sleep, Swim!
    www.terrapinmasters.org

  12. #12
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    It is in Fire Island and like 50 bucks. It sounds too complicated to do. Apparently, you did a kayaker or something. Plus, I definitely don't want to do an event 2 weeks before Indy. Not to mention, the tolls just to get into Long Island, . Maybe, I can find something in late August that is 3 miles or more.
    They'll help you find a kayaker if you let them know you need one. But sorry, I don't think they'll help with the tolls.

    I have a special feeling for Fire Island, having spent so many childhood summer vacations there. So if not this year, I totally recommend you try it! You'd do very well, I think!

    So ... do we have Swimmy, Leonard, and TJRPatt at Sept. Splash! Would be cool to meet my "imaginary friends"! You folk will have showered and dressed by the time I finish the two miler, so you can grab yourselves a nice post-swim mocha, put your feet up, relax, work on your suntan (or sunblock) and await my arrival. (You might need a copy of War and Peace to read...)

  13. #13
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyInnerFish View Post
    They'll help you find a kayaker if you let them know you need one. But sorry, I don't think they'll help with the tolls.

    I have a special feeling for Fire Island, having spent so many childhood summer vacations there. So if not this year, I totally recommend you try it! You'd do very well, I think!

    So ... do we have Swimmy, Leonard, and TJRPatt at Sept. Splash! Would be cool to meet my "imaginary friends"! You folk will have showered and dressed by the time I finish the two miler, so you can grab yourselves a nice post-swim mocha, put your feet up, relax, work on your suntan (or sunblock) and await my arrival. (You might need a copy of War and Peace to read...)
    Maybe next year do that swim. I have to save up for those tolls!!!! I plan to be at the Sept. Splash but I can't think that far ahead. There is no shower available at that swim. We are lucky to use to bathroom at the restaurant nearby to change.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

  14. #14
    Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    Maybe next year do that swim. I have to save up for those tolls!!!! I plan to be at the Sept. Splash but I can't think that far ahead. There is no shower available at that swim. We are lucky to use to bathroom at the restaurant nearby to change.
    That's right... I remember it was maybe just a hose--but my bar is low for things like this... Just to entice you... they had an outdoor shower set up for the FI to LI swim--better still, you get a HUGE lunch spread at a local rest.--and not so soon afterward that you're too green at gills to enjoy it. Bon appetit!

  15. #15
    Distance Man tjrpatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley(Philly), PA
    Posts
    1,789
    Blog Entries
    1402

    Re: September Splash, Wildwood Crest, NJ

    Here is the entry form for the Bradley Beach in case anyone decides to do at the last minute.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

Similar Threads

  1. September Splash, Anyone?
    By Swimmy in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
  2. September Splash Report
    By FindingMyInnerFish in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 24th, 2007, 05:14 AM
  3. September Splash, anyone? (9/22)
    By FindingMyInnerFish in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 5th, 2007, 09:24 PM
  4. Anyone here doing the September Splash?
    By FindingMyInnerFish in forum Open Water Swimming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
  5. September 5-10
    By Mel in forum Open Water Workouts - by Rich Axtell
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •