Thread: Boston-area weather

Boston-area weather

Much as I prefer blizzards even to swimming, thus proving I am not obsessed with swimming, and much though I hate southern summers and so even in Boston, the two or three weeks we have of "hot" weather do me in,

what the heck is going on with all the rain here? Like, possibly 5 inches today. Like, the whole month of June was cold and rainy. Yes, like, I like the chilly cold and rainy days rather than hot humid days, and yes, when I complained to my sister of Raleigh, NC, that it was hot and humid one day last week (69 degrees and sticky), she nearly killed me for my wimpiness (they've already had lots of 100s hot and sticky),

still,

when are we going to get a sunshine day? I mean, I also like to sail, which also shows I am not totally obsessed with swimming, but how can you sail in the pouring rain?

Llovia, llovia, llovia. I think that's Spanish for it's raining, raining, raining.*

I want to get to the pool right now but I'm afeared I'll be struck by the lightning! And Northerners do not understand lightning. It is a frightening thing, to be respected.

I am from the South, Senor lingo threader who doubts my truth of "wicked" hitting the Carolinas in the 90s. Born and raised in Durham, NC. Hence a healthy fear of lightning, heat, humidity.

I don't want a heat wave, but I'll settle for 80 degrees with sun. Somerville's fireworks were cancelled for tonight, for example. I pointed out the Charles River Basin fireworks barge to some French tourists on the T yesterday and then began to laugh/nearly cry hysterically, adding, "if they are not cancelled due to rain."

I also am seriously fraying on the TV cold turkey, but you can't buy electronics in the pouring rain if you have no car, can you? So I am doomed to a few more days/weeks without TV, until the clouds break and I can dash out and get me some electronics.

*Wrong. "Llueve, llueve, llueve." (Spanish verbs! "Llovar" is "to rain," but it is irregular.)

Blog Entries

Re: Boston-area weather

Isobel - My dear swim comrade...I think you really do need a trip to a barroom. A bit of karaoke perhaps?

I joke, obviously, but I feel your pain. I'm 40-odd miles to the west of you in Worcester and I have had it. Though I do confess that during June the rotten weather "kept the lid on" at the high school where I work. The kids were too oppressed to mix it up as they usually do on hot June days and the girls were too cold (most of 'em anyway) to truly bust out the daisy dukes, skimpy tops, and assorted other "tart-wear." The same thing is happening at summer school. The kids are just cruising through day after rainy day of summer school days without complaint. It's not like any of their friends are out having any fun - so what's the biggie?

This rain has spoiled my plans for a summer of glorious bike commuting to work though. No way am I showing up at work all wet and muddy. No way.

It's also making me re-think going to take my rowing classes at Lake Quinsigamond.

What a drag

Now I'm depressed too...thanks for bringing this up

quel drag!

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    Isobel - My dear swim comrade...I think you really do need a trip to a barroom. A bit of karaoke perhaps?
    You know, Gigi, you might be quite right. Though I always feel 14 in bars (why is that? I should feel sultry, right?), I ought to go up to the local bar in Davis Square (not all the new uppity-yuppity ones) and get sloshed.

I just found out that drug dealers live two houses away from me. I wondered about all the cops the other night.

I also just found out that my apartment building used to be a rooming house, filled with old ladies. Ditto for beautiful house across the street. Many rooming houses around where I live, all used to be filled with old ladies.

I have always wondered why there was a mail slot in my bedroom door.

I think I also need a blog (nonswimming-related) because um my posts um tend to wander.

In short, I rather loved your description of sodden teenagers, Gigi. And the lack of tart dresssing. This is very funny! So also is the ubiquity of winter coats and winter boots and tights and sweaters and leggings on the T. It's quite amusing! Heck, I know it's going to bust out brutal hot and then I will be muy triste.

See, I got out between storms, and swam. Yee-haw!

And I have to add, looky here: up above, an ad for heat lightning! How do those demons find the right words and plunk the right ads with these threads. Continues to intrigue me....

You will be pleased to learn that it did not rain for July 4th here in Boston, nor is it raining today.

The weather: breezy and sunny. Today: a good day to capsize in a sailboat in the Charles.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have been sharing your pain here in Pittsburgh too.

You have no idea how hard it is to get through life without girls in tartwear!

Which reminds me of an elevator ride I took in the Conde Nast building not too long ago. Some women, mid-to-late 40s, were discussing an upcoming Fleetwood Mac concert.

"I love Stevie Nix," said one.

"Me, too!," said the other. "Her shows are the only chance I have to get dressed up in wispywear."

Tartwear...wispywear...then what?

As the Kingston Trio once sang, "Where have all the young girls gone? Long time passing. Where have all the young girls gone, long long time ago?"

I think we know the answer to this question now.

Rooming houses in Isobel's Boston neighborhood.

What's that you say, Your Honor? This response is meandering? But your honor, Isobel opened the door to meandering! I am not even using foreign languages, either! Rien!"

Objection overruled.

And on this note, let the sunshine in.

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    We have been sharing your pain here in Pittsburgh too.

You have no idea how hard it is to get through life without girls in tartwear!

As the Kingston Trio once sang, "Where have all the young girls gone? Long time passing. Where have all the young girls gone, long long time ago?"

I think we know the answer to this question now.

Rooming houses in Isobel's Boston neighborhood.

What's that you say, Your Honor? This response is meandering? But your honor, Isobel opened the door to meandering! I am not even using foreign languages, either! Rien!"

Objection overruled.

And on this note, let the sunshine in.
    Is a miracle I make it through usual downpours to practice! And, que lastima! The inviernos! The nieve. It's a miracle I get to practice! Has anyone noticed the incredible restraint I have shown in my postings in last 36 hours?

Tough, really tough, but yeah, this is not, like, my personal blog. Reining it in. Still ninguno TV.

Don't forget side by side with old rooming houses, Oxycontin! Yeah! A DEA bust but they didn't find anything! They be scary girls in that house. They threw boxes at me from second story windows when I rang their doorbell wanting them to sign a petition to get cars to stop at the stop sign at our intersection (cars in my boarding-house yard several times). Sometimes I think I'd like to be imposing and called an f'n beech by an Italian. I like that pronunciation. Maybe I be more imposing, I throw boxes back at drug dealers, tell them where to go!

Yah, I be following Mr. Negative's thread but I ain't going to join the fray.

I can't run, what with being old lady pensioner, should someone be peesed at me for throwing boxes back and then they decide to chase me.