View Poll Results: Spit/lick your goggles to prevent fogging?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 60.66%
  • No

16 26.23%
  • Other

8 13.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you....

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you....

You lucky bastards all must be the beneficiaries of clean pools. Our water is so foggy it's like swimming in watered down skim milk that's already turned. You can clean your goggles with Cat Crap and 500 psi, spit and Mr. Quinn's magic goo (rumored to be the hand-extracted precious bodily fluids of leprechauns), but the water still looks like what it is: a bubbly mix of day campers' excretions and old noodler incontinence byproducts, marinaded in chlorine and muriatic acid and layers and layers of dead skin from the hides of our masters swimming team.

We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim. No one completely trusts any goggles to protect our orbs. Tightly closed lids are the second, fail safe layer of protection against the Superfund Site that is my beloved home pool and generator of mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb View Post
    Thanks to the baby shampoo tip I learned on this forum I now have a lifetime supply of goggles. Licking them seems to work in a pinch as well.
    Do you lick them before or after you put the baby shampoo in them?

Seriously, one thing I learned the hard way was to use a really, really tiny amount of baby shampoo. Less is better.

Too much and your eyes turn flaming red and your boss asks you three times in one hour if you need a ride to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim.
    Same here. I rarely open my eyes in freestyle. I swim better that way. Seeing the bottom of the pool somehow distracts me and makes me slow (though I admit with closed eyes I occasionally swim astray and bump into someone coming--fortunately no fatal accidents ). Seeing is useful to me only when I'm looking forward once in a while.

Blog Entries

This baby shampoo idea is new to me. WHat do you do with it exactly?
    Put in a drop and spread it around with your finger before you swim?
    PUt it in AFTER you swim, let it spread naturally, and you're good to go for your next swim?
    How much is very little?

I'm intrigued. I just let my goggles fog up and then I wipe the fog out w/my finger in between swims. Not a good idea?

I tried the anti fog stuff but it just made everything smeary.

Maybe I just need to be more exacting....

Sooner or later you have to use fingers/tissues to wipe it since it will collect residues from the pool, won't it? Mine has collected dirty residues around the edges of the lenses and I need to use tissues to wipe it hard to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    You lucky bastards all must be the beneficiaries of clean pools. Our water is so foggy it's like swimming in watered down skim milk that's already turned. You can clean your goggles with Cat Crap and 500 psi, spit and Mr. Quinn's magic goo (rumored to be the hand-extracted precious bodily fluids of leprechauns), but the water still looks like what it is: a bubbly mix of day campers' excretions and old noodler incontinence byproducts, marinaded in chlorine and muriatic acid and layers and layers of dead skin from the hides of our masters swimming team.

We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim. No one completely trusts any goggles to protect our orbs. Tightly closed lids are the second, fail safe layer of protection against the Superfund Site that is my beloved home pool and generator of mutants.
    My pool at college is much like the pools you swim at apparently. I always have to double check my goggles to make sure they aren't fogging up but it never gets better since the pool itself is pretty gross.

Some spiders on the bottom and apparently the swim team does their "business" in the pool when they are swimming and don't have time to get out to do so.

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
    I use 500 psi, a SCUBA mask anti-fog gel, that works very well for swim goggles and masks.
    I use the Sea Gold Anti-fog gel, I think its the same deal. Works like a charm.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I know a thread is OLD when the last post (before today's) was from before I became a member of USMS!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Old thread

lick each lense, submerge halfway into water, then allow to dry for 5 seconds. Done at the wall as needed. Can be done while in OW too. Only works if the lense have already been cleaned with soap water (btw the anti fog film is long gone)
    Last edited by __steve__; February 4th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12