Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valley Swim Club Racism

Blog Entries

Valley Swim Club Racism

Anyone else catch this story?
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/50346612.html

Hard to believe this kind of thing still happens. Disgusting!

Re: Valley Swim Club Racism

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Anyone else catch this story?
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/50346612.html

Hard to believe this kind of thing still happens. Disgusting!
    Yes - and my reaction was the same as yours. I feel for those kids.

Blog Entries

and yet.... many would argue that our country is color blind now. what a joke.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes I saw that. How sad for those kids.

Blog Entries

Disgusting ... sounds like a near replay from that scene in Pride ...

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw the article as well, and my first thought was "Is this real or just inflammatory reporting?"

If you take a look at their website, you will see the club's pool is small. If you read a few more articles about it, you will see another camp's money was refunded who only had 25 children because the noise level at the pool was too great for comfort.

It sucks that kids don't have a pool to swim in, but it looks like that has more to do with municipal fiances than racism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain View Post
    If you take a look at their website, you will see the club's pool is small. If you read a few more articles about it, you will see another camp's money was refunded who only had 25 children because the noise level at the pool was too great for comfort.
    Honestly this seems like covering their tracks. They should know how many people the pool can accommodate and not let larger groups than this rent the pool. I'm not buying this excuse. Two bits they've someone managed to handle large groups of predominantly white kids.
    Last edited by knelson; July 10th, 2009 at 01:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Honestly this seems like covering their tracks. They should know how many people the pool can accommodate and not let larger groups than this rent the pool. I'm not buying this excuse. Two bits they've someone managed to handle large groups of predominantly white kids.
    They are being investigated for discrimination, but I doubt the out come matters. The people have spoken, the country club is guilty and the loss of membership from this event should make sure this place shuts down.

Philadelphia has financial problems. Of their 73 public pools, 23 remained closed. The other 50 were opened not with public funds, but only with the aid of donations. Many private pools have made their facilities available to non members.

I am willing to withhold the accusation of discrimination until more than two paragraphs of hearsay is published. You may be right, racism is alive and well, but it seems it is used as the default conclusion at the exclusion of any other possibilities too often.

Swimming is one of the least diverse sports on the planet.

I think it's really hard to imagine if you've grown up around pools and that's just the way it is.

Let's put it this way: when I go to any swim meet, everyone knows who I am.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Let's put it this way: when I go to any swim meet, everyone knows who I am.
    Well in fairness your ears are pretty rare.

I tend to be annoyed when busloads of children show up at my pool. It's not their race that is a problem- I just don't like kids!

Perhaps much of the member response is just from swimmers who don't want a large number of children taking over their quiet pool.

It doesn't necessarily have to be racism.

Blog Entries

When someone makes statements like this it's pretty hard to defend them, IMO:
    Duesler, according to Gomez, said that the club "underestimated the impact" the campers would have on the club, that they "fundamentally changed the atmosphere." And he stressed that race "had nothing to do with the decision" to break the club's agreement with Creative Steps.

Yesterday, NBC 10 reported that the club had released a statement from Duesler saying that "there was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion" and "the atmosphere."

Blog Entries

When someone makes statements like this it's pretty hard to defend them, IMO:
    How about this, there are two possibilities.

The club is racist, and didn't realize that leasing the pool to 3 summer camps from Philadelphia, whose population is only about 40% white, might include non-white kids, and kicked them out as soon as they realized that summer campers from Philly weren't white country club children.

Or the county club sold some space to summer camps, hoping to make a little extra profit without the club members noticing. The club members did notice, were offended that space had been sold to non members when they probably paid a high price to join their private club, and asked for the summer camps to be removed no matter if the kids were red, white or blue.

I think the club put money before their members. You think the club is racist. I may come to agree with you, but it will take more than one dumbass talking to the press to convince me.

Blog Entries

The club is racist, and didn't realize that leasing the pool to 3 summer camps from Philadelphia, whose population is only about 40% white, might include non-white kids, and kicked them out as soon as they realized that summer campers from Philly weren't white country club children.
    Well, we can't assume everyone at the club is racist. The person who booked the groups may have thought nothing about it, but then when the group(s) showed up certain members voiced their displeasure. There's no way of really knowing whether this displeasure was racially motivated or not, but the fact is this group booked the pool and then were later told they weren't welcome anymore. It's a BS move.You rent the pool to a group, you let them use the pool unless they violate the rules and I see nothing to suggest that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    Swimming is one of the least diverse sports on the planet.
    It really is. I went to a high school where whites were in the minority, but I'm struggling to think of a single non-white kid on the swim team during my four years there. I don't think racism was the primary reason for this, but when kids who want to swim are turned away, it sure ain't helping the matter any.
    Last edited by knelson; July 10th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

This is kind of a tough one. I tend to think it's just having kids, not a race discrimination issue. "Atmosphere" can be a serene relaxing atmosphere or a chaotic high-energy atmosphere.

A swim team usually isn't very noisy during the practices and the kids aren't running amok especially if the kids are a bit older. The coaching staff should be able to keep the group under control although sometimes the parents don't cooperate about leaving the kids unsupervised before/after practice.

A kids camp where the kids are just swimming to cool off and have fun will be more running around, shrieking, and horseplay.

Kid behavior can also extend to the restroom facilities with water fights, clogging toilets and such. It only takes a few disruptive kids to cause a huge problem.

I am not particularly fond of small shrieking kids and do my best to avoid them. If I were paying for a pricey membership and kids showed up during Adult Lap Swim hours, I would not be happy.

Local legend is that a swim team was kicked out of a pool in my area effective until the end of all time. And every other youth group in town was banned also. Supposedly a sibling (not a swimmer) got bored, wandered off, and purposely urinated on a basketball court adjacent to the pool area.

Very Active Member

How about this, there are two possibilities.

Or the county club sold some space to summer camps, hoping to make a little extra profit without the club members noticing. The club members did notice, were offended that space had been sold to non members when they probably paid a high price to join their private club, and asked for the summer camps to be removed no matter if the kids were red, white or blue.

I think the club put money before their members. You think the club is racist. I may come to agree with you, but it will take more than one dumbass talking to the press to convince me.
    But the article makes clear that named witnesses reported members making racist comments:

Trouble began immediately, says Wright, when she heard several white members make disparaging racial remarks about the campers, who are black and Hispanic. Wright says that Valley Club president John Duesler, who was on the premises, seemed surprised and embarrassed by the behavior but assured her that all would work out.
    According to 14-year-old camper Dymir Baylor, with whom I spoke yesterday, some of the comments were heartless.

"I heard a white lady say, 'What are all these black kids doing here? They might do something to my child,' " recalled Dymir, who says he lives in a neighborhood so diverse, he'd never heard anyone speak like that before. "It was rude and ignorant."
    It seems noteworthy that Duesler didn't deny that the club's members made racist comments. Instead, the statement he issued seemed to all but admit that the member vote had a racial component:

Yesterday, NBC 10 reported that the club had released a statement from Duesler saying that "there was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion" and "the atmosphere."
    Certainly not all members should be tarred by the racist comments of a few, and certainly there may have been mixed or non-racial motives in the member vote, and certainly a journalist may be stirring the pot a little to sell papers -- but I can't deny that there is a racial component when two named sources go on record as having heard racist statements which are not then immediately and unequivocally denied by the manager.
    At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.

This was no boating accident.

Guess I neglected to speak on the other side, if indeed racism is occurring it disgusts me that people still think and act in that manner.

I think our society has a lot more difficulty with cultural differences than with race.

Participating Member

My opinion? The kids showed up, some of the families were displeased and made remarks that were interpreted as racist, and which might in fact have been. These families then complained to the management who terminated the agreement with the camps.

The owners of the club may or may not be racist, but it would be surprising to me if there weren't at least a few members who thought some less than PC things about the campers who perhaps vocalized these thoughts within earshot of a camper.

It's disgusting, but I can't say I'm at all surprised.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I feel for these kids! The experience of being kick out of an establishment based on your ethnicity is a harsh introduction to the real world.
    We wonder why people walk around with chips on their shoulders. I know how I would feel if I had to experience something like that!

They could have handled it in a much different way. It's not right to hurt kids !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast