Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition section for forum?

Nutrition section for forum?

I wish we could have a nutrition section on this forum, dedicated to easy recipes, guidelines on what to eat for maximum energy and health, etc.

So could this thread be one where people share easy recipes (vegetarian for me, please, but everything for everyone for others) so that I (and others) can be inspired to eat better?

And if there were nutritionists who post info on how many calories are needed when swimming a lot (for me, 4 x a week, about 4000 yards each workout), that would also be awesome.

I swam the 5K and really tanked at 3000 meters. I think that was probably because of my nutritional deficiency. I'm defeating the purpose of training hard if I don't eat right.

But I don't mean this just for me: I love the nutrition section in the USMS magazine. I wish we could have a similar thread going here, with recipes and advice.

Easy recipes! Easy, easy, easy recipes! But good advice. Gracias.
    Last edited by isobel; July 26th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Re: Nutrition section for forum?

OK. I will start. NO MORE SPINSTER DINNERS!

Spinster dinners are one-pot affairs: cold water, dump in ravioli with ricotta cheese (20 grams protein), carrots, let it boil for a while, then add peas.

Very quick and nutritious but I can't bear eating it one more time.

Post-swim I always have a yogurt. That makes me feel immediately better.

After the 5K I went straight to MIT's student center and got a huge slice of pizza, Dunkin' Donuts tea (they put tons of sugar in it), and a donut. OK, not healthy, but took away the wooziness I was feeling. If I'd had more cash on me, I would have bought a salad as well. Only had $4 on me, though.

One swimmer at MIT suggested quinoa, which I bought yesterday. Add peas and carrots and red peppers (cooked, I think, not clear on this). Quinoa sits in package in my refrigerator, looks kind of scary.

CHICK PEAS. Chick peas on couscous with salad and veggies. Can of chick peas sits on shelf.

See how boring these are?

Also I love having milkshakes for dinner. One block away, extra thick, only $4. Yummy.

Eggs also I enjoy, hard-boiled.

BORING!!!!

So please, can anyone post an easy recipe with spices that won't make me shut the refrigerator and just nosh on cashews and rice cakes when nothing else appeals?

If everyone posted one recipe, imagine! We could make a swimmers' book and the proceeds could go to USMS and with the proceeds we could, uh, sponsor video clinics for every region, once a season....

I need nutrition motivation! I'm sure I'm not alone!

Bring on some recipes! Thanks.

Very Active Member david.margrave's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the idea too.

Steamed veggies every day. (Not!) Think I've set the record for broccoli consumption in one lifetime.
    Soy sauce or rice vinegar on everything that can take it. Nice to have fresh produce in summer - corn, bell peppers. Squash soup in winter, which I buy rather than make. Will check the ingredients next time - only 4, surprisingly. Apple slices for post-workout cravings.

Ravioli with ricotta cheese! I'll be right over!

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My son is sort of a vegan chef (unofficially) He makes a great Falaloulfal (I know this is spelled wrong so I hope you know what I mean)Pizza. He's out of town for the week-end but I will try to get his recipe monday. It's a pretty dense pizza so probably quite calorie laden. He's got a good vegetarian chili too.
    HTFU!

OK, here is a link to a sweet potato/quinoa recipe that a friend said was really good: http://www.markbittman.com/recipes/s...d-quinoa-salad

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    My son is sort of a vegan chef (unofficially) He makes a great falafel pizza. ... It's a pretty dense pizza so probably quite calorie laden. He's got a good vegetarian chili too.
    I'd be interested in the vegetarian chili recipe. Though not a vegetarian, I eat lots of leaves and roots, and like onions and garlic. A friend is a vegan and is always looking for good recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by isobel View Post
    OK, here is a link to a sweet potato/quinoa recipe that a friend said was really good: http://www.markbittman.com/recipes/s...d-quinoa-salad
    Thanks! If it's simple I'll try it.

I did search this topic before reintroducing it, and I somehow missed that several times people have asked the moderators to allow a special nutrition section but that it hasn't happened.

It seems like a nutrition section, with links to recipes, would be really helpful.

In particular, it would be great to have a nutritionist moderate the section, and have weekly meal plans, pre- and post-workout snacks, something that would be easy to look at at a glance. The basics of what one needs to fuel this sport, somehow modified by gender/age/height.

It is way too easy to overlook food as a crucial aspect of swim training. We could have our own (private) weekly checkoff challenge: did I do well with diet this week, as well as distance/technique/training/making it to practice?

Moderators? Nutritionists?

Though I like the idea of shared recipes, it would be nice if there could actually be an organized section of the forum dedicated to this topic, saying you need this (and give maybe a 6-week rotation of meal/snack plans): here's what you need and here are some links to accomplish this.

I guess this could give an unemployed sports nutrition expert a new job?

It would be so great if it could be set up so we could log in what we ate and compare that with our workouts and see how we are doing (all in private, of course). Plus some really easy recipe links for healthy food would be very nice.

I know there are some sites like this online, but they are a pain and not specific to swim training, more specific to losing weight.

If you want to eat right, you just need one cookbook: "Jane Brody's Good Food Book." Jane Brody is the nutrition writer for the New York Times. This cookbook is by far the best one I've ever used. I've given it as a gift numerous times. One of my friends told me that it was the best wedding gift she received!

I've made dozens of the recipes and almost without fail they are easy, consistent, and good. Use this cookbook regularly and you will be "eating healthy."

The book may be out of print now but you can find it used on Amazon or ABEbooks.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by isobel View Post
    Quinoa is great. I just lived in Bolivia for 6 years. Bolivia has a lot of quinoa and amaranth. I would eat quinoa in soups or use quinoa or amaranth flakes for my breakfast shakes.
    Quinoa is a really good source for protein.

A friend just gave me a link to a really interesting article on nutrition for athletes.

Maybe it's because I just had some rocky road ice cream, but I like that the article emphasizes the need for fat in athletes' diet.

Anyway, it's very academic/nutritionist, but very interesting and also addresses vitamins and stuff:

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/vn/vn_athletes.htm

Very Active Member

Are you a vegetarian?

Anyway, I am a pretty good cook but rather than posting a list of recipes I prefer posting some advice.

My rules of nutrition are: eat real food. Meals don't aways have to be fancy recipes but they shoud be 100% natural about 90% of the time. For example: oatmeal with fresh fruit in the morning is natural while Cocoa Puffs is unnatural.

Eat a variety of fruit(a lot), veggies(a lot), whole grains, legumes, sprouts, seeds & nuts, eggs, dairy, fish(especially fish like salmon), poultry, lean meat. If you're a vegetarian cut out meat and other animal products you don't eat.
    Here is a list of The World's Healthiest Foods: http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Just include any of these foods to your diet and you're set. A breakfast could be oatmeal with fruit and yogurt or milk, eggs with veggies, whole wheat bread with almond butter to name a few.

Lunch could be salmon with brown rice, vegetables and a salad or chickpea salad with mixed veggies etc.

A snack could be some fruit, nuts or yogurt.

If you eat like this 90% of the time you can eat ice cream and cake the other 10% of the time.
    Also it's best to drop sugary soft drinks like coke and instead drink water or apple juice mixed with sparkling water or green tea.

If you follow these simple rules you're all set. Eating right doesn't have to be complicated. Forget ALL diets.

DeletedAccount

I think this would be an excellent and much needed addition. I am fairly new to swimming still, but fortunate enough to start with an 18+ year background in serious bodybuilding/fitness training and nutrition, which I know gives me a HUGE advantage over my fellow Masters swimmers. For the most part I have found swimmers to be very lacking in nutrition knowledge, and this reflects in their performance, energy, and physique.

On the flip-side I learned very quickly that in this sport (at the Masters level) that physique appearance can mean very little as to how fast one can swim. It can be very deceiving, especially coming from sports where image alone is paramount to success. Unfortunately that also means that some very in shape swimmers can spend most of the time looking like they don't even work out at all. From what I have observed in my short time in the sport, the majority of members on Masters swim teams once removed from their swimming speed and times do not look like athletes at all, and a large part of this has to do with their diets...

...so, I am all for a Nutrition section.

Quinoa is a super food. it is the only complete protein, containing all of the essential amino acids. It has a protective, bitter coating that it uses to protect itself from birds. Rinse it in a mesh strainer before cooking to remove it and improve the flavor.

DeletedAccount

Great to see interest & discussion on quinoa. For a family BBQ this summer I made a Jambalaya recipe with quinoa and shrimp instead of rice and sausage. It was a hit...

Blog Entries

Can someone explain the following terms to me - vegan (I hear this all the time but really don't understand it), pescatarian (fish and veggies only?), flexitarian (that one got me last week).

DeletedAccount

Thumbs up Re: Nutrition section for forum?

Here's a couple of basic breakdowns:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veget...TypesofVeg.htm

http://www.aviva.ca/article.asp?articleid=136

I follow fairly strict Pescatarian diet.

T

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    Can someone explain the following terms to me - vegan (I hear this all the time but really don't understand it), pescatarian (fish and veggies only?), flexitarian (that one got me last week).
    Vegans are usually idealists who don't eat any animal products(no meat, sea food, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy or honey) for ethic reasons. They only eat plant protein(legumes, nuts, seeds, sprouts etc).

Then you have several type of vegetarians who eat animal protein in form of dairy, eggs, honey and/or fish.

Just boiled quinoa. Took large bite of cooked product. Yummy! Kind of sweet tasting. Can see it as excellent salad base for all kinds of vegetables, in addition to sweet potatoes, red pepper, and onion as in the linked recipe. Sort of tastes Moroccan.

Yes, I am a vegetarian and have been for about 30 years. I don't eat meat or fish or hard cheeses. I eat eggs, beans, rice, vegetables, fruit, yogurts, whole grain breads, ricotta cheese, etc. And ice cream. I just don't eat enough for how much I've been training and thus have lost a lot of weight, probably a fair amount of muscle as well.

Can someone translate the kilogram/calorie discussion link and say how many calories, roughly, someone who trains about 12,000 meters a week, or during short course maybe 16,000 yards, should eat, given a past-40 age and female gender?

Oooh, just saw that I've been training about 12,000 meters *a week* and I am planning to swim 10,000 meters (postal swim) on Monday. Ouch!

Blog Entries

More education required - what is the reasoning behind not eating hard cheeses but ok to eat softer cheese? Is there something more "meaty" about hard cheeses or is it simply a personal preference?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast