Thread: Doping in Masters ....

Very Active Member

Doping in Masters ....

New York times article on Track masters athletes and doping

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/us...r=1&ref=sports

Re: Doping in Masters ....

From 95-year-old Frank Levine, trackstar:

“I can’t even imagine (using performance-enhancing drugs)at this age,” he said. “It’s not the Olympics. Guys get so whacked out that they want to take pills to destroy their health just so they can get a medal that’s a little bit better than they might have earned.”

After his 400 meter event: “Everything I can do, I did,” he said. “Every ounce of strength, every mental effort. In my mind, if I knew it was a possibility that I would die because I was speeding or pushing, I think I would do it. Stupidity, but I think that’s true of a lot of athletes.”

Great article. Antihypertensives for blood pressure, hypoglycemics and/or insulin for diabetics, alpha agonists and steroids for asthma, testosterone analogs for alopecia...I'm sure many of us are taking some prescription drug, and of those, probably some are banned by WADA. Having said that, if I knew a competitor was using a PED specifically for the purpose of swimming faster, I'd be very disappointed in that person's (lack of) judgment.

By the way, if I ever make it to 95 and can actually run 400 meters, that act alone will be a greater athletic feat than I've ever performed. Way to go, Mr. Levine!!
    "What, Me Worry"? - Alfred E. Neuman

Participating Member

Some years back when I was canoe racing I read that one of the top racers had a testosterone level of a 20 year old. This man was 60 years of age. I then read several books regarding testosterone and learned that each of us have our own level which changes with time. This change is genetic. We can suppliment our level. Doping as it were.

Needless to say, everyone that has a high testoserone level would prefer to keep this advantage. A great coach, how high you set your goal, if you are not blessed with certain physical and mental gifts you are going to fail to reach the top of the pile.

I would be very interested to see the results of the testosterone levels of everyone tested just to see how the playing field is tilted. Say we could just look at the range and then we could see just how much we have accomplished with our genetic gifts.

For example, it is much easier to become a millioniare if you start off with $750,000 at birth compared to starting out with $100,000.

This may explain why some of us always root for the underdogs.

Track seems pretty dirty these days..... Some of the Jamaicans seem to be pushing the envelope.

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewA...CLID=204773074

The 800m for women seems pretty unusual as well..... i.e. with gender testing involved ?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JESUFemaos"][color=#810081]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JESUFemaos[/COLO"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
    Your Average "John Smith"