Thread: So.. Triathlons..

So.. Triathlons..

-Background- I'm not your average USMS forum goer seeing as I'm in.. high school. Although, I've learned a ton with your help about my overindulgent training schedule. (If you look through my past posts, you'll see.) I was able to get down to a 4:41 in my 500 scy last year which felt so amazing for me to accomplish. Albeit it was with a LZR; it's gonna be intense to see if I can get that time again with a jammer. I'll see what I can do! So, since you helped me last time, I was gonna see if you could help me again. So, let's get started.

Has anyone done any long course Triathlons? I've been thinking of starting to train for an Olympic-caliber triathlon in 2010, 70.3 Ironman in 2011 and the full Ironman in 2012 (the years are what I want to do, but they can change depending on whether or not I'm ready). This is mostly just an extreme mental and, well, a damn hardcore physical challenge that I want to accomplish. Of course, I'm gonna need to get cycling ASAP, since I haven't really done any hardcore biking. Ever. Running will also be intense. Right now, I can go for like 40-45 minutes at a steady ~8:20 mile pace. Just gotta keep up the endurance. And for those of you who are wondering how long each of these triathlons are...

Olympic Triathlon: 1.5 km (.93 mi) swim / 40 km (23.8 mi) bike / 10 km (6.2 mi) run
    Half (70.3) Ironman: 1.9 km (1.2 mi) swim / 90 km (56 mi) bike / 21.09 km (13.1 mi) run
    Ironman: 3.8 km (2.4 mi) swim / 180 km (112 mi) bike / 42.2 km (26.2 mi) run

And yes, that 42.2 km run is indeed a marathon.

Anyway, I sort of know how to approach this. I'm planning it out now so that once the swimming season is over, I can jump right into running and biking hardcore. Endurance will definitely come first. If you can't go forever, you won't finish. Plain and simple. I think of it as going as far as you can with a good pace, then for the next workout, go farther. Sprint work would come next, next meaning 2-3 months after, since I don't wanna be out there in the Ironman for 16 hours (although some do. The pros finish in like 8 hours, while plainfolk like me finish in like 12+ hours). Then I guess a month before my first Triathlon start to taper in volume so I have energy for the real deal. Nutrition is gonna kill me though. I've never been a fan of eating highly nutritious foods like salads and stuff... Just not a fan. ♥ But yeah, protein and carbs after workouts, fiber and stuff everywhere else. I was thinking of getting the JACK LALANNE POWER JUICER. "I SAW THAT ON TV!!" I know, right? But hey, I've heard it's awesome! It'll be an easy way for me to cram veggies into my diet. But yeah, after all that, any more advice from people who might have done these types of triathlons in the past? And encouragement is accepted. :]

tl;dr: I'm triathlon training. Advice?

Re: So.. Triathlons..

People I've known who have done the longer endurance events, such as Half-Ironperson, have followed daily workout schedules developed by their local tri club or perhaps the national org. Training takes hours a day.

the Triathletes that I swim with and chat with on their clubs forum train alot.

some of them swim 2-3 times a week for 45-60 minutes during the winter and often slight longer swims in the summer in a lake.

they bike atleast 3 hrs and sometimes up to 6 hrs on satursdays and sundays, rarely two long rides back to back but it happens. they also do shorter 1-2 hrs rides during the week.

runs are anything from 5-10km runs several times a week to 20km runs on the weekends.

those that I know that train for tris, its more a lifestyle than training. they ride 20-30km to work, they swim and then run 90 minutes after.

occassionally I see them post a mini-tri training day, where they swim 1km, then bike 50km and run 5km. just to get the feel of switching events.

alot of them take spinning classes during the week, and run before or after the class.

I plan on competing and completing my first Ironman in 2014. besides my 15km to and from work rides (7.5km each way) I don't plan on starting to bike until aug 2010. I may however start running in sept (this year).

I will maintain my swimming, and just try to find time to add the others. for me it looks like I might have to run to and from work, and then bike to and from the pool, but maybe taking a detour on the way there or home. the other option for me to to take along ride after work and run to the pool, but I don't think I would want to run 6km home from the pool at 21:30 after swimming 90 minutes. it's a tough balance.

most triathletes have something they were good at before. running, biking or swimming. the important thing is to not let your swimming suffer while introducing the others.

I wish I could ride my bike to and from school, but they don't have any sort of bike racks that I could use. That would really help me, though. A good 15 km a day. The final 7.5km would be after swimming two hours. Sort of like transition work, but not really. It might be better used if I ran to and from school which is a possibility, I guess. I plan on really starting to bike after states for swimming this year in march. Maybe a few weeks off and start April 1. Gonna get myself a nice bike for Christmas since I won't be getting any fancy suits this year. It'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. I might even consider joining the track team for distance training.

Very Active Member Thrashing Slug's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My advice is to forget about half-iron and iron distance for the forseeable future. Train for and compete in sprints and olympics for a few years, and see if you can develop some speed and place well in your age group. Once you've done that and developed a solid base, then you might want to think about moving up to longer distances. For now, train hard, get fast, and enjoy the fact that you can probably WIN races!

If you're looking to simply push yourself to the maximum endurance limit then why not try a 100 mile bike ride first, or a half marathon or marathon. Training for any of those should take many months. You need to progress gradually to avoid injury.
    -
    "The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -- Bruce Lee

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
    I wish I could ride my bike to and from school, but they don't have any sort of bike racks that I could use. That would really help me, though. .......

I might even consider joining the track team for distance training.
    WRT the bike: Why not see if either the Phys Ed dept or a sympathetic teacher would let you store the bike during the day? If nothing else, it might embarrass them into buying a bike rack.

Don't forget, you can also join the cross-country team as well for distance training if it fits your schedule.

-LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashing Slug View Post
    My advice is to forget about half-iron and iron distance for the forseeable future. Train for and compete in sprints and olympics for a few years, and see if you can develop some speed and place well in your age group. Once you've done that and developed a solid base, then you might want to think about moving up to longer distances. For now, train hard, get fast, and enjoy the fact that you can probably WIN races!

If you're looking to simply push yourself to the maximum endurance limit then why not try a 100 mile bike ride first, or a half marathon or marathon. Training for any of those should take many months. You need to progress gradually to avoid injury.
    Well.. winning does sound tempting. I might just save the Ironman for an 'eventual goal' that I want to accomplish.

-adds to List of Thing To Do Before I Die-

We'll see how it plays out next year. Hell, I might be too busy with school to do any type of training which will delay everything a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    WRT the bike: Why not see if either the Phys Ed dept or a sympathetic teacher would let you store the bike during the day? If nothing else, it might embarrass them into buying a bike rack.

Don't forget, you can also join the cross-country team as well for distance training if it fits your schedule.

-LBJ
    Cross country would be nice, but my coach is kind of anal about us missing pre-season, so I'd rather not go through that. Not really mad anal, but he expects to see everyone who wants to succeed there. And being the probable captain (he pretty much said to everyone at our banquet last year that I'm going to be the captain and he's going to veto all other people for captain, basically. lmao) I should lead by example and go.

One of the divers on our swim team was told by t he diving coach not to wqste his time in training for tris, well with my pushing him after HS, he became a great athlete at tris !! Do what you want for goals ! I would start with Olympics distance 1st , then work up the ladder . Good luck !

First of all, great goals and good luck! You've gotten some great advice. My advice would be to look into a local tri club. There you can talk to people from all ages that have done the different lengths. They can really help you train for the right distance. I have only done 2 sprint tris so I didn't train well. My sister, though will be doing her annual Ironman this Sunday. I am amazed at how long she has to train for it.

I actually just ordered my bike from the local bike store. It was like 20% off or something, and after looking it up online, I found out it was a pretty decent beginner's bike. It's called the Allez Triple by Specialized. The other great part was that there were reviews online, all of which were extremely positive. I guess it's gonna be my birthday present instead of a Christmas present. :]

I am so looking forward to starting my training come April. My mom's physical therapist overheard me talking about my triathlon training when I brought her to her weekly visit (hip problems.. probably going to need surgery. Then even more chauffeuring.) and he said he'd gladly help me train. He used to do triathlon in the past, so I'm looking forward to any help I can get.

Remember to have fun, when you try for the top 1st, you might not have a good time in your mind .