Thread: Choosing Dates of Future Conventions

Participating Member

Choosing Dates of Future Conventions

I would like to request that an effort be made, when scheduling future Conventions, to avoid a conflict with the Jewish High Holidays, ROSH HOSHANA and YOM KIPPUR. This year Rosh Hoshana falls in the middle of Convention so I will be forced to miss the celebratiuon of this most important religious holiday with my family.

Participating Member

Re: Choosing Dates of Future Conventions

US Aquatic Sport Convention is not set by USMS. US Aquatics Sport schedules these conventions 3-4-5 years ahead (look at http://www.usms.org/admin/conv/ ).

I'm sure US Aquatic Sport would appreciate the feedback. You might send a note to US Aquatic Sport (http://www.usaquaticsports.org/pages/contactus.htm) -see website for list of officers, e-mail contacts and telephone numbers.

See you in Chicago for some lively discussion on Governance, updating rules on swimwear, elections of our new Executive Committee, budgetting for 2010 and much more as we gather in Chicago (and don't forget your 1920's customs for the banquet this year!)

Anthony Thompson, Missouri Valley MOVY Masters

Participating Member

Good point! Sometimes those in power just need to be reminded. Religious observances should be honored. However, some conflicts are simply not worthy of such consideration

Until last year, my conflict was the semiannual board meeting for the Great Lakes Region of the American Hosta Society. It always conflicted so I dumped it! The USMS convention is much more fun!

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sport is secular. If you have a religious conflict, it is up to you to decide how to resolve it, no one else.

It is unreasonable to think that the convention dates would be moved because of Jewish (or any other religion's) high holidays. If they were moved, what if that conflicted with Ramadan (it is also about this time of year)? It is a slippery slope that is best avoided.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Blog Entries

Let's be honest convention would NEVER interfere with a Christian holiday. It is unfortunate that it conflicts with a Jewish holiday. My guess is that it was unavoidable as it is a lot to line-up and schedule. I do not think that a suggestion, to those in charge of picking locations and dates, to avoid the high Jewish holidays would be out of line.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is perhaps impossible to convince you that this is a fluke, but I spoke tonight with Ellaine Cox, the Convention Chairman for United States Aquatic Sports (the organization that hosts the convention). She assured me that this year is a fluke, and thqt they try never to have a conflict with Religious holidays. If you care to research the schedule, you will find that there has not been a conflict in at least 13 years.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    It is perhaps impossible to convince you that this is a fluke, but I spoke tonight with Ellaine Cox, the Convention Chairman for United States Aquatic Sports (the organization that hosts the convention). She assured me that this year is a fluke, and thqt they try never to have a conflict with Religious holidays. If you care to research the schedule, you will find that there has not been a conflict in at least 13 years.
    The 2010 convention is Sept 15-19. There just happens to be a conflict again this year (Yom Kippur is on Sept 17-18), so it is indeed impossible to convince me last year was a fluke. USAS tries to never let it happen - but it has now happened two years in a row? If they tried to never let it happen, convention would have been a week later this year. I submit Flyqueen is still correct with her premise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jroddin View Post
    The 2010 convention is Sept 15-19. There just happens to be a conflict again this year (Yom Kippur is on Sept 17-18), so it is indeed impossible to convince me last year was a fluke. USAS tries to never let it happen - but it has now happened two years in a row? If they tried to never let it happen, convention would have been a week later this year. I submit Flyqueen is still correct with her premise.
    It's not like most calender's don't list the dates of religious holiday's on them.

From the USAS web site, here are the dates for the next few conventions:

Sept 11-18
    Hyatt Regency
    Jacksonville, FL

Sept 9-16
    Sheraton
    Greensboro, NC

Sept 8-14
    Hyatt Orange County
    Anaheim, CA

Sept 13-21