Thread: Dryland for Long distance training

Participating Member

Cool Dryland for Long distance training

I had some great OW swims this summer including the Alcatraz Challenge in mid-July and Big Shoulder's 5k on 9/12. About 10 minutes after completing Big Shoulders, I decided I want to complete a 10k next summer.

I don't want to get burnt out too quickly so I'll swim normal distances (for me about 10k yards/week) for a few months and mix in some biking and running.

I know dryland would help with my swim conditioning, but what type of exercises are typically associated with a dryland routine and how many times /week should they be performed?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dryland for Long distance training

LOng workouts on the elipytcal, SP? trainer , using arms & legs will help with the burout phase. Weight training will also help. Good luck.

Participating Member

Hi Luke,

I find most helpful to be core training. If you can do atleast 30 minutes of core 3-4 x per week I think you'll really like the results. I do a lot of abs, lower back, push-ups, and sit ups. In fact I even have found it more important than lifting weights when pressed for time.

You also may want to pick up running. Work up to maybe 3 miles on the treadmill before your core workouts.

Blog Entries

If you want to die of boredom do a treadmill or elliptical workout. Otherwise, join a running group or take spin classes. Do something that will raise your HR but not anaerobically for long periods of time. I also think doing two sessions a day helps with conditioning and endurance. This doesn't have to be morning/night. I often do two session in the morning but get about an hour rest in between.

Participating Member

the other comments were great and those "doubles workouts" will also get you where you need to be...regarding your biking, i would keep that up and start making a certain course near your house and try to work on your time around the course with interval training...you can really get aerobically buffed out on the bike...i used to do a course near my house on mountain bike and it got me seriously winded...my course was a minute fast paced and sometimes I would go a full 5 laps fast = 5:00 fast, similar to doing 100 freestyles in the pool or a 500 free at 5 minutes - minute pace...

I agree with previous posters...i emphasize making sure your shoulder muscles and all that are strengthened in the gym...the guy who mentioned core work, may have mentioned that too...Core work is the key cuz as your shoulders need to rest you will be depending on core strength to assist in body rotation and hip flexors in the kick...If you rock out the core, with a few shoulder exercises you will be set in the gym...

Keep biking for your aerobic deal...but go fast and get winded and wear your helmet!!! If the weather in Illinois get too wacked then go to gym and do the variety of gym running / step up things but spike your heartrate a bit and sustain the spike for 30 seconds and then moderate it with some easy after that...rounds of 30 fast and a minute easy...

The gym will help with core work and the shoulders...you'll be amped at the results...The distance ocean swimmers with the gym therapy strength building will tend to be injured less due to development in the critical regions of the shoulders and core...

let us know what your training regime has turned into...

Dolphin Bear