Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandwich inquiry

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sandwich inquiry

We are starting a cafe in a nearby town's historical district.

If you walked in hoping to get a decent sandwich, what kind of sandwich would you hope this to be?

We are hoping to limit the types of sandwiches on the menu to just a couple really good ones. If you have any types you really love, be these ordinary or exotic, please give us the benefit of your ideas!

Thanks!

Very Active Member scyfreestyler's Avatar

Re: Sandwich inquiry

You might want to watch a certain Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about the "Larry David Sandwich".

Blog Entries

I am a little scared to ask.

Blog Entries

It's always stressful going to a sandwich shop and trying to understand the menu. Not bad if there is no line, but ugh, the pressure of trying to order correctly when there is a line of people behind you.

I like the traditional sandwich choices: ham, turkey, roast beef, tuna salad and chicken salad. Then clearly state the bread choices: white, wheat, sourdough, etc. Then clearly identify the toppings and when I need to indicate those to you (mayo/mustard/o&v?; onions, peppers, lettuce, tomato, etc).

I also really like to know the prices a la cart and for the combo meals (sandwich/chips/drink). A frequent punch card would be nice, too.

Last, a kids meal menu. You should offer PB&J, grilled cheese or 1/2 of the above sandwiches. Plus kids meals, which includes chips and a kids cup and a cookie for those under 12.

And a senior discount, just to be PC.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Michele.

Do you have any favorites in the more exotic line? For example, I came across this while doing a little internet surfing:

Pan-Bagnat

The pan-bagnat (pronounced pahn-bahn-yah, the ďtĒ is almost silent) is a specialty of the people around the region of Nice, France. The flavors come together perfectly in this sandwich: take a hollowed out baguette and fill with tuna (if youíre using canned please use the kind packed in oil), green bell [COLOR=#60B410 ! important][COLOR=#60B410 ! important]pepper[/COLOR][/COLOR] slices, red onion, sliced hard boiled eggs, olives (kalamata variety please), tomato and top with a vinaigrette made from red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper (thereís tons of good recipes for this out there). It sounds strange at first but itís really one of the best picnic sandwiches out there. Itís so popular that those crazy French have an association to promote and protect the pan-bagnat.

from: http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#1PDHte...ndwiches.html/

A toasted Denver or Western was my favorite as a kid. Next to that a Hot Beef or Hot Pork. Club sandwich was a great one, the older I got I came to love the Grilled Rubin made with Cornbeef, Sauerkraut on Rye Bread with Double Carroway and Swiss Cheese.

My favorite sandwich shop offered the Hot beef on special once a week and the Hot Pork once a week.

My favorite Jewish (Mannies) deli had Pastrami or Corned Beef with strong horseradish that was redish colored it socked it to the taste buds. I preferred the cornbeef it had more fat, over the pastrami. Reason you could not have butter on it in a Kosher deli. I even had to drink my coffee black. It was served on Double Carraway Rye bread with 3 ounces of steamed Corned Beef and mustard.
    Last edited by geochuck; October 25th, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

The most successful sandwich place I know is a French bakery that has had an almost unvarying menu since it opened, years ago. The sandwiches are exquisite, especially the dressings, which come with (you may have a packet of Grey Poupon on the side if you insist). It seems important to commit to excellence from the start and to use highest quality ingredients.

Grilled goat cheese with red peppers pagnino
    Grilled steak sandwich (steak is cut up into small slices)
    "Rustic" grilled chicken sandwich with a soft cheese, mesclun, and special dressing
    Turkey and Brie
    Croque Monsieur

Why not invite a couple of chefs to come up with something tasty and reproducible, perhaps be on hand opening day? Another important ingredient of the French bakery is the active presence of Monsieur et Madam.

Perhaps think along the lines of a bistro? A theme? Or is it to be light and fast, with sandwiches prepared ahead of time?

Cucumber, ham, whipped cream cheese
    Bean sprouts, hummus, and something spicy on pita bread
    Last edited by ViveBene; October 25th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Very Active Member Leonard Jansen's Avatar

Please be sure to include something for vegetarians - here in central PA if you ask for a sandwich with no meat they act like you asked them to blow their nose on the bread.

Here's one (it's not heart-healthy, though):
    1. Caramelize some VIDALIA onions.
    2. Cook some portabello mushrooms slices in a mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke
    3. Put cheddar cheese (or other favorite) along with the onions and mushrooms on rye (or other favorite) bread.
    4. Add Mayo (or Plockman's mustard)
    5. Put some margarine on the outside and grill until cheese melts and bread is browned.

Another:
    LBJ's Portabella burgers
    1) Marinate large portabello mushroom caps in a mixture of lite soy sauce (use something like Kikoman's and not the LaChoy crap), liquid smoke, white wine, margarine, a sprinkle of Spike seasoning and garlic for an hour or so (longer is better). (You can also use rosemary instead of the Spike seasoning)
    2) Place in pyrex dish with mushroom bottom facing up and put a pineapple slice in the cap.
    3) Bake in 400 degree oven until caps are cooked through (15 +/- minutes) Baste with marinating liquid as it cooks.
    4) Put cap on toasted Kaiser roll along with lettuce, tomato, onions, dill pickle spears or whatever you like and add mayo or mustard (not yellow mustard) or whatever else you like. N.B. I don't think that ketchup goes too well with this.

Also:
    Falafel is a fantastic veggie sandwich

-LBJ
    "Excitable boy" they all said.

Leonard butter is better, I have not used margarine since the 2nd World War (rationing of butter).

Margarine is a synthetic, man-made chemical, alien to our bodies.
    Last edited by geochuck; October 25th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Smile Re: Sandwich inquiry

Being born and bred in NYC, I love the Stage Deli when I am back in town. Here's their menu - sandwiches in the middle.

http://www.stagedeli.com/NYMenuSample.cfm#sandwiches.

Love the "Derek Jeter" - "Cindy Adams" and "Marv Albert"!!!!! Of course the sandwiches are about 6" high (really) - so you need to not have eaten for a while!

Enjoy......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    Please be sure to include something for vegetarians <snip>

-LBJ
    Yes. Important data:
    --What kind of place is it? Sit-down, take-out only, capacity?
    --What kind of food? Hot? Cold only?
    --Likely clientele? Summer tourists only? Students? Area workers on lunch break? Commuters grabbing something?
    --Themed? Early American: roast corn, pumpkin pie on menu?
    --Add-ons? (the above-named pumpkin pie, ice cream)

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have become obsessed with Cafe Patachou (mostly at breakfast) and Petite Chou! I just had a broken yolk sandwich and cup of fresh fruit salad less than 30 minutes ago. Go to this web site and check out the menu's. A special interest to you: Tartines (open-faced sandwiches) and the Croque sandwiches!
    www.cafepatachou.com/menu.html
    This will give you pricing ideas. Their slogan on their plates is "A Student Union for Adults" I really don't get that feeling there. It's just one of those types of places that makes you feel like your out of town....sort of a boho type thing.
    HTFU!

Very Active Member Chicken of the Sea's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vegemite.
    I'll send you some.
    It was quite capable in the water, perhaps a little on the slow side, but it wasn't impressed by my appearance.

Very Active Member Chicken of the Sea's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come to think of it, have you tried putting vegemite on your lesion?
    It was quite capable in the water, perhaps a little on the slow side, but it wasn't impressed by my appearance.

Kaptain SDK!

Equal amounts of ham and rare roast beef, Thin sliced red onion, slice of tomato on a water bagel. Don't even need any dressing.

Blog Entries

I agree with the idea to make sure there is a vegetarian option. I eat turkey (a place near me makes a good turkey sandwich with cranberry chutney and stuffing on it, yum!) but most of the time I am looking for something vegetarian. You could also double the sandwiches you offer by having a panini press, so people can have them hot and toasty or traditional and cold.

Stop silly posts

I judge all sandwich cafes by the hot pastrami, all Mexican eateries by the enchalida, all Greek by the gyros, and all Hooters by the servers.

Very Active Member

I like simple.
    Grilled cheese on wheat with tomato
    Pannini with mozzarello, basil, and tomato

Some of my favorites:
    Vietnamese sandwich - Banh Mi? French baguette w/ grilled pork (plum marinade ?), cilantro, jalapeno, cucumber, carrot - or something like that. Delightful.

Grilled/toasted sandwich w/ turkey, cranberry chutney, cheddar

Chicken w/ green chilies, pepper jack cheese

Smoked salmon w/ cream cheese, tomato, red onion, capers on toasted pumpernickel bagel

PB on wheat toast w/ choice of craisins, banana, fruit preserves

I'm addicted to a good Reuben: corned beef, sauerkraut, melted swiss, 1000 island dressing, on a good rye, made extra sloppy.

My children (in their 20's) all love a "Gobbler" : Turkey (real, not a pressed loaf), stuffing, cranberries, and some kind of sauce, on a sourdough bread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast