Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Masters Motivational Times

Blog Entries

Re: Masters Motivational Times

My times are better for lcm than either scy or scm. Is that because there's more competition in short course meets? Maybe it means my turns need more work?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

LCM meets are definitely less popular than SCY. This makes the Top 10 times slightly less impressive, and the motivational times a little easier.

SCM is also less popular, though. I'm not sure that LCM times are much, if any, easier than SCM.

Generally LCM is harder to TT in than SCM.SCY is the hardest because it is the most swum course in the US.I still think LCM is the truer test of swimming(vs turning.)
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Participating Member

I think this is great!

Participating Member

How cool that you posted the motivational times in this forum. I hope the idea catches on and helps many swimmers!

Just wondering are those times based on world standards or USA standards? I'm from Australia and was wondering what the percentiles you're basing the grade off are. I'd like to create a similiar chart for Australian masters.

Also I've always found it odd comparing times at my age group, 25-29 because most of the great swimmers my age are in elite competition. Would it likely be that hard to make tables that incorporate the elite times in? Thanks,

David

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
    Just wondering are those times based on world standards or USA standards? I'm from Australia and was wondering what the percentiles you're basing the grade off are. I'd like to create a similiar chart for Australian masters.

Also I've always found it odd comparing times at my age group, 25-29 because most of the great swimmers my age are in elite competition. Would it likely be that hard to make tables that incorporate the elite times in?
    These are based on USMS Top 10 times. (USA, not world) I did this to mimic the USA Swimming (non-Masters) time standards, which are based on their list of Top 16 times.

All you need to generate a similar table is an Australian "Top N" list. I have no idea whether it exists -- either for masters or elites.

Quote Originally Posted by sjstuart View Post
    All you need to generate a similar table is an Australian "Top N" list. I have no idea whether it exists -- either for masters or elites.
    Yep there is. So the ranks are just based on a spread across the top 10? Thanks,

David

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi, David, not sure how much of this thread you have looked at, but I highly recommend checking out Chris Stevenson's formula for age-grading swims in the different courses. http://www.vaswim.org/cgi-bin/rcalc.cgi

Chris (I think it was Chris, though it might have been another mathematically inclined US swimming god) also told me at one point that in England, it's not uncommon to use this sort of calculation at masters meets so that the oldsters can compete in a sense with the youngsters.

I just did a review of my own swimming times for the past 12 years and posted my amateur analysis of the effect of different suits and training volumes on a decidely less than swimming god-like shlub (Meditations on a Swimming Bubble) here http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=7196

Good luck with your efforts! It's nice to know that Australians visit this forum. Say hi to Ian Thorpe for us, and wish him good luck on his diet.

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    Hi, David, not sure how much of this thread you have looked at, but I highly recommend checking out Chris Stevenson's formula for age-grading swims in the different courses. http://www.vaswim.org/cgi-bin/rcalc.cgi

Good luck with your efforts! It's nice to know that Australians visit this forum. Say hi to Ian Thorpe for us, and wish him good luck on his diet.
    I did see that, thanks. I don't know Ian Thorpe personally, Australia is a largish place. I do swim at the same pool as much of the Australian olympic team though(Ken Wood's pool), so occasionally bump into some of our great swimmers.

I've been recently made Club Captain of our club and have been working since then to try and bring a bit more competitiveness to Australian masters swimming, it just doesn't seem quite as organised as you have it over there. Thanks,

David

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

David, I was just joking around. I know that Australia is a big place. Our regular poster here, Chicken of the Sea, is from the Sydney area, and she tells me that there is quite a bit of consternation in your country these days since Russia issued a ban on kangaroo meat importation.

You have my sympathy!

If you do happen to run into Ian Thorpe, could you run a money-making idea by him? I would like to license his feet, take molds of these, and then produce a line of latex Ian Thorpe replica feet-fins.

The average swimmer, such as myself, could order anywhere from a size 6 to a size 12 Ian Thorpe latex pair of feet fins, then see what it would be like to be able to race with such large feet. I suspect my times would definitely improve. Perhaps I could then license some Jason Lezak hand paddles.

Tell Ian I might be willing to pay up to 1 cent US for every pair of Ian Thorpedo Fins I can sell.

In the meantime, best of luck with the Australian masters movement!

Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton View Post
    David, I was just joking around. I know that Australia is a big place.

If you do happen to run into Ian Thorpe, could you run a money-making idea by him? I would like to license his feet, take molds of these, and then produce a line of latex Ian Thorpe replica feet-fins.

In the meantime, best of luck with the Australian masters movement!
    LOL yep I figured, just playing along! Sounds like a good idea though!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    There may be another factor too: in her book, Dara Torres also comments on the fact -- and cites research to support her statement -- that aging affects sprinting the least.
    For men, but not for women (at least after the age of 40). Which makes her achievements all the more remarkable.

Great work with the motivational times! Very encouraging for those of us who were mediocre age group swimmers.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
    Yep there is. So the ranks are just based on a spread across the top 10?
    Specifically: average times 6-10 in an age group, for the last 3 years. Then:

AAAA = 5% slower
    AAA = 10% slower
    AA = 15% slower
    A = 20% slower
    BB = 30% slower
    B = 40% slower

There's nothing sacred in these details, of course. They were chosen to mirror the USAS time standards. You may want to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjstuart View Post
    There's nothing sacred in these details, of course. They were chosen to mirror the USAS time standards. You may want to change them.
    Ah thanks, I'll have a play with that. Thanks

David

Blog Entries

The records chart in the USMS rulebook shows no more decay of speed with age for the 50 than the 1500/1650 for men, in fact the curves are very close. Unless very old competitors prefer sprinting events, this reinforces the claim that you don't lose sprinting ability more than endurance with age.

I posted the chart in post #52 (from work computer) but it appears to be in the wrong format.

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    The records chart in the USMS rulebook shows no more decay of speed with age for the 50 than the 1500/1650 for men, in fact the curves are very close. Unless very old competitors prefer sprinting events, this reinforces the claim that you don't lose sprinting ability more than endurance with age.

I posted the chart in post #52 (from work computer) but it appears to be in the wrong format.
    Interesting that the curve is flat 45-50 and nearly flat 45-60.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

I just looked at the SCM list for M35-39.

seems like they are on the slow side or maybe I missed something in the creation of the table.

are the AAAA times just outside the top 10 list, or does a 4A time put you in contention for getting a top 10 time.

I am by no means a freestyler or backstroker, but manage to be 3A on the spints, and 4A for 200 an longer in free and in back it was 2A, 3A, 4A from 50--> 200.

comparing my times to others in a little place like sweden I would have expected to have been in the 2A-3A in the Breat and IM events only.

but I will print this out and bring it to practice tonight.

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rykno View Post
    are the AAAA times just outside the top 10 list, or does a 4A time put you in
    4A is 5% below top 10.

I think since conditioning is less of an issue, it is easier to do better in the sprints than the distance events, if there is a good number of competitors.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Yes, the AAAA times are just outside the Top 10. Technically, they're 5% off the average of the 6th through 10th times. For longer events, where the gap from the 6th best time to the 10th best time can be significant, a AAAA time could be relatively close to a Top 10 time.

As an example for your M35-39 age group, in SCM it would have taken 2:05 to 2:06 to get in the top 10 in the past few years. The AAAA time is 2:10.39. So yes, just outside top 10 range in this case.

Note that SCM times are much less competitive in the US than SCY times, because we have fewer SCM meets. That may be why the SCM times appear slow to a European.

But if you see anything that looks like an error, please let me know.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast