Thread: Registration of 18 year olds

Very Active Member

Registration of 18 year olds

In the old forum, Michael Moore posted the following information for Pacific Masters Swimming:
    Pacific has registered three 18 year olds out of 4300
    swimmers this year. (Three different teams; 0.07% of membership).

Here is the current information for Southern Pacific:
    Three 18 year olds out of 1443 swimmers, two different teams (UCLA registered two, CLVM one). This represents 0.2% of our current membership.

I sent out an email to all clubs late last year with the new information about registering 18 year olds.
    "Stop telling lies about me and I'll stop telling the truth about you." -Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010)

Current Missouri Valley stats:

212 registered swimmers; none are age 18.

laura wright
    Ohio stats - 313 swimmers - none are 18.

North Carolina - 0 out of 565. See my post in the registrar's discussion forum about an incident 6 years ago. I still thnk it is a good idea, especially for teams in college towns.
    George

Very Active Member

Cool 18 year olds

I think the main problem with registrating 18 year olds is that they can still compete in us age group swimming. I remember way back in the 1970's that the aau use to have age group limited to age 17 years. But in 1975 they change that and when us swimming took over they kept that. There are a lot of summer leagues that limit swimmers to age 17 years old. I don't know how masters can get these people to register. Just my opinion, I just registrated with masters and last swam competely in community college in 1977. I swam once for Huntington Beach Swim club in 1971 to 1973 with Shirley Babashaoff(forgive spelling) and Jack and Gary Hall Sr and the Furness brothers Steve and Bruce, but I was a slow age group swimmer compared to those people.

Well yes, 18-year olds CAN still compete in USA Age Group Swimming, which is probably the reason the minimum age for USMS was 19 for so long. But then, 25-year olds and even 40 and 50-year olds can compete in USA Swimming (though few do).

The main (although not the only) reason, I believe, for lowering the age to 18 was to accomodate masters teams located on college campuses -- so that they wouldn't be forced to turn away interested freshmen who aren't on varsity teams (and, most likely, aren't swimming on age group teams). But this is a fairly limited population.

What I think is interesting is that the fear of some that USMS would be overrun by (unruly) teenagers hasn't materialized.

In Kentucky we have one 18-year-old, and one person who just turned 19, but was 18 when he joined. Our total membership is in the 400 range. I am president of the one club in the LMSC affiliated with a university, and we have the 19-year-old who joined when he was 18. The current 18-year-old joined because his father is a Masters swimmer; he just graduated from high school. My team has clearly not reaped any benefits of allowing 18-year-olds to register, but it may well be that the 18-year-olds at UK don't even know they're now eligible. We could probably put up signs at the pool inviting them to join, or get the school paper to print an article, but we're not actively looking to expand our membership.
    Meg Smath
    Kentucky LMSC

Very Active Member michaelmoore's Avatar
    In Pacific, there are currently 13 members who are 18 - about 0.1% of the 8749 Pacific members. There are another 7 who are 19 but were 18 when they registered.

Half of the 20 members were registered by Davis Aquatic Masters. Those ten members make up about 2 percent of DAM's members. (DAM is closely associated with the University of California- Davis).

While every member is important, statistically the 18 years olds are an insignificant number of the membership.

michael
    michael moore

Very Active Member
    Interesting old subject, as was stated, 18 olds are a small number that register. As a young adult ,masters turn me off because back in the 1970's you couldn't swim in the meets unlesss you were 25 years old. So I thought it was a waste to wait until 25 years old to swim again when I finished with school meets at 20 years old. I think we should still let them do it even if their are few bits out there. And some college students were on either the JR team on high school or swam on a varsity where the times were slow, so they don't want to go out on a college team. And some people start swimming as adults and some will swim in the 19 to 24 years old age groups.

I believe registration was capped at 18 for USA qualifying meets, hence the reason we pick up swimmers starting at the age of 19. In fact, just this season I was trying to qualify for a USA meet, but was unable to attend it due to my age. The Age Group Champs meet was capped at 18, and eventhough I had a decent time I would not have been able to participate.

It is true that many older swimmers do participate in USA meets, but there are still a few hold-out meets that maintain an age cap at 18. USMS accomodates those of us who are left out of the "big meets" by picking up those starting at the age of 19 and allowing us to go to major Masters meets.
    Kelly Sharitt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dorothyrd
    The majority of USA meets in Illinois have no cap, so there is nothing from preventing an "older" swimmer from swimming in anything from regular invites to Senior States and Sectionals as long as they are registered with USA.

I think 18 year olds are too busy with school and learning to be an adult to be serious about Masters swimming. Also, those who swam seriously and enjoy swimming try to swim in college, the others who don't are tired of swimming and want a break. Then when they get older, settle into sedantary jobs and the weight creeps up, we see them!

Very Active Member

Re: Registration of 18 year olds

I am 18 and I love Masters swimming. We have a few 18 or 19 year olds at our practices. It is hard for alot of people who go away to college but I am trying to get some of my friends who swam with me in high school involved.

Re: Registration of 18 year olds where does ASA fit?

When at a USMS meet hosted at Duke Univ earlier this spring, I noticed flyers for the American Swimming Association (ASA) championship held at the Univ of Va.

The ASA site:
    http://www.americanswimmingassociation.com/

even mentions Masters swimmers, but the events list is modest and certainly seems to be mainly among University clubs.

Can anyone comment on how this ASA whichs seems to target 18yr old and up swimmers fits with USMS?

One of the Duke club swimmers saw me looking at the sign and actually talked with me about coming up to UVa. Didn't hear from her again after she saw how slow I was in the water! Nice to know I don't look slow!
    Cheers de Mark W4CHL
    50+ Runner & swimmer

Re: Registration of 18 year olds where does ASA fit?

Quote Originally Posted by W4CHL View Post
    Can anyone comment on how this ASA whichs seems to target 18yr old and up swimmers fits with USMS?
    Mark,

At the present time the ASA is not associated with USMS. Keith Bell, the owner of ASA, used to be active in USMS a number of years ago, however when Keith started ASA he chose to not be affiliated with USMS.

Smile Re: Registration of 18 year olds

I'm 22 but, I remember what it was like to be 18 and 19. I think we should allow 18 and 19 year olds to be in masters. I remember the feeling of being to old for everything. Masters is a program I'm not to old to be in. I think it would be good to have younger people in masters to make us want to compete and show them what we are made of. I'm the youngest in my masters group there's not one person close to my age in my masters group but, hey, that's fine with me. I'm to old to go to summer camp and to old to be a counselor anywhere so, masters swim meets this summer will keep me busy.
    Sincerely, Swimminggirl p.s. 18 and 19 year olds we are glad to have you apart of usms masters swimming!

Re: Registration of 18 year olds & ASA

Well, I see a commentary about why ASA continues in Texas, from a blog kept by Keith Bell:
    http://drkeithbell.statesmanblogs.com/entry.aspx?q=021f2a99-7f00-4cfd-8d82-992a010fb785"

Seems there is some bad blood between ASA and USMS. I hope that in the future we can cross list events, some places ASA organization has more events, by and large it seems USMS is the dominant Masters swimming entity.
    Cheers de Mark W4CHL
    50+ Runner & swimmer

Re: Registration of 18 year olds

I wouldn’t necessarily characterize USMS as “the dominant Masters swimming entity.” USMS is the only Masters swimming organization in the USA recognized by United States Aquatic Sports and FINA (the international governing body for all swimming). With this in mind, USMS works in partnership with many other national organizations (typically not for profit organizations) that provide swimming opportunities to adults. For example USA Swimming, YMCA, Senior Games, IGLA, USA Triathlon, etc. And USMS is continuing to reach out to other organizations so we can better serve USMS members and the adult swimming community at large.

I had seen Keith’s blog entry and to me it seems contrary to his mission “To cooperate with other competitive swimming organizations for the betterment of the sport.” I find his comments disheartening, especially since they are coming from a terrific competitor and a friend of many years.