Thread: Go the Distance

Participating Member

Go the Distance

I understand that for 2009 results we are not able to order "T" shirts or sweat shirts with our swim accomplishments on them. This is sad not only did I like wearing my "T" shirt from 2008 to the pool but a large number of people asked me about the "Go the Distance" which led to a discussion of USMS.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Go the Distance

I thought you could still go to "Cafe Press" and order those things. I could be wrong. I'll go check it out!
    HTFU!

Participating Member

2nd page of order form says yes at cafe'press but when you go to their site there is nothing there bad site location. Searched their site could not find anything. I discovered this AFTER I had been told I couild not order shirts when I asked about the copyright on the logo here is the response I got: "Unfortunately, the USMS logo is copyrighted, so you can't use it in a custom t-shirt, but you could have a shirt done with your miles swam, the year and any kind of fun saying you would enjoy" not the same as being a part of the Go The Distance Program & wearing it proudly.

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a bummer. I've always ordered a coffee mug with the GTD logo each year I've done it. I will mis my new addition!
    HTFU!

That is a bummer. I purchased one in late December, but it's just the logo and the year. The order form didn't make any mention of including miles swum, etc. This really doesn't make sense to me. I'm wondering if an email to Mary Sweat at USMS would help. She was the organizer behind GTD last year.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Participating Member

She is no longer in charge & it appears the powers to be do not want to do it. It is not like we got any of this for nothing we paid for all of the stuff. Only thing that might work is if enough of us complain they may do something. Meanwhile, I am trying to get in touch with the cafepress people beinging that the 2nd page gives us permission to order "Go The Disance" stuff without violating copyright. At this point there is no real reason to be a member being the only thing I participate in is the "Go The DIstance". When asked about the shirts I was told "They are not available anymore. There were only 3 ordered in 2008 and the logistics were too much to manage." This statement was very hard to believe consideing I ordered 2 myself and if I ordered 2 exactly the same then how hard could the 3rd order have been or am I missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmteel View Post
    She is no longer in charge & it appears the powers to be do not want to do it. It is not like we got any of this for nothing we paid for all of the stuff. Only thing that might work is if enough of us complain they may do something. Meanwhile, I am trying to get in touch with the cafepress people beinging that the 2nd page gives us permission to order "Go The Disance" stuff without violating copyright. At this point there is no real reason to be a member being the only thing I participate in is the "Go The DIstance". When asked about the shirts I was told "They are not available anymore. There were only 3 ordered in 2008 and the logistics were too much to manage." This statement was very hard to believe consideing I ordered 2 myself and if I ordered 2 exactly the same then how hard could the 3rd order have been or am I missing something here.

As a suggestion, you could order a t-shirt that has the USMS logo on it from another source (like Kast-a-way, for example), and then take it to a custom t-shirt shop and have them silkscreen on your 2009 GTD stats. Who knows, it might even be less expensive to do this than to have ordered one from Cafe Press in the first place.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Participating Member

That was where I was heading at this point. Called cafepress today very strange phone call. Actually thought I might have the wrong number when I spoke with them. I thank you will check out one of the other sites.

Here's how to get in touch with Rob Butcher, USMS Executive Director (who, as I recall, has a marketing background). It might be worthwhile referring him to this thread.

http://www.usms.org/admin/email.php?...cutiveDirector

Administrator

The GTD t-shirts can be ordered on the All-American Swim Supply website. These shirts look great and are only $13.

http://www.allamericanswim.com/maste...rt-p-7194.html

Since this was the first general GTD thread i thought I post here.

even though you can not see what other people swim, I have started seeing patterns for those around me on the list for men 35-39.

For example I do not swim friday or saturday, so sunday mornings I get passed by 2-3 swimmers, but since I swim on sundays on monday morning I go up on the list again.

Now that I swim doubles on tuesdays and thursdays I'm hoping to start building up a lead so I stopped getting passed

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rykno View Post
    Since this was the first general GTD thread i thought I post here.

even though you can not see what other people swim, I have started seeing patterns for those around me on the list for men 35-39.

For example I do not swim friday or saturday, so sunday mornings I get passed by 2-3 swimmers, but since I swim on sundays on monday morning I go up on the list again.

Now that I swim doubles on tuesdays and thursdays I'm hoping to start building up a lead so I stopped getting passed
    Ryan D Provencher 38 HEAT 58.49
    James A Adams 35 HMS 58.24
    Let the gridge begin... I'm sure there are others out there as well. The 4 or 5 at the top of the list have to get "hit by a truck" for us to have a chance to catch them!

I also don't get to swim on Sunday's around here, and only half of the Saturdays or so...
    BTW, After today's double, I'm up close to 62 miles...
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I'm up close to 62 miles
    62 miles... ah, I remember those days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    62 miles... ah, I remember those days
    I'll cheer for you on the final few lengths of your 1500 next month.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

why is there a truck idling outside my house?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    why is there a truck idling outside my house?
    Delivering the piano that will drop on you with 300 to go in your 1500.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    Nice one!

www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresnoid View Post
    the last time I raced a 1500, I was strangely tempted to switch to backstroke with 300 meters to go

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Let the gridge begin... I'm sure there are others out there as well. The 4 or 5 at the top of the list have to get "hit by a truck" for us to have a chance to catch them!

I also don't get to swim on Sunday's around here, and only half of the Saturdays or so...
    BTW, After today's double, I'm up close to 62 miles...
    I was wondering why a truck on the highway was acting semi-crazy when I got near it this morning on the way to swim practice.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    I was wondering why a truck on the highway was acting semi-crazy when I got near it this morning on the way to swim practice.
    hehe

www.inlandnwmasters.org