Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is your pool too hot !

Very Active Member

Re: Is your pool too hot ! YES IT IS!

Quote Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
    Am I really abnormal then? I am complaining about the temperature when it reaches the 80s where others are still doing well, and I actually prefer the upper 60s for racing. In the upper 80s, I will need to get out of the pool in the middle of the training to cool down myself.

In the squad, when it is in the 70s, I am placed in the middle of the slow lane and still feeling strong when the set is finished, while in the upper 80s, I can't even catch up the back in the slowest lane and can't complete the set.
    There is a triathlete who swims at my gym who is like you in that she prefers the water to be pretty cold. I haven't swum in very cold water in a long time, but I recall eventually getting used to it.

My problems with the elevated temperature are two fold. One is that yes, it affects my endurance. I can't make intervals at 86 that I can make at 82 without a problem. Two is hydration. If it gets too hot, I can't finish a workout without going through all of my water, whereas normally I drink less than half for a "distance" workout (i.e. longer intervals), and half to 3/4 for a "sprint" workout.

I don't have the time to cool down in the middle of a workout, then warm back up again and continue. Either I have to go pick up my kids from their practice, or one of the classes starts up around the time I normally get done.

Very Active Member

Re: Is your pool too hot !

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoung View Post
    Could that particular variety of "too hot" be cured with a cold shower? (the classic "too hot needs a cold shower" CANNOT. I've tried.)
    It seems counterintuitive, but a warm or lukewarm shower will be better than cold. When hot, your body sweats (which evaporates & cools), and sends blood out to the skin & extremities to get cooled down When you take a cold shower, your body says "uh oh, we're COLD, better keep all that blood in the vital organs so we can live." Taking a cold shower after exercise makes your body try to warm itself instead of cooling. Taking a lukewarm shower encourages the body to continue its cooling response.

Blog Entries

Re: Is your pool too hot ! YES IT IS!

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoung View Post
    Could that particular variety of "too hot" be cured with a cold shower? (the classic "too hot needs a cold shower" CANNOT. I've tried.)
    Yes, probably. Unfortunately the showers are the push button kind that don't have any temperature control.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456