Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your pool too hot !

Wink My answer to the 1st question...

No.

It's too cold

Actually, the pool where I swim is kept at 80° to 82°, which satisfies many of the lap swimmers, and few of the rest of us.

I'd prefer 86°, and most of the lap swimmers want 80°, so - for me - the logical compromise would be 83°.

Glad to hear your pool is going to be kept at a reasonable temperature.

Now, I wish mine could be the same.

Wink My answer to the over sensitive...

I wonder why some folks think it's OK to label people 'floaters' etc., but become incensed when they're called 'knuckleheads'?

Blog Entries
    Mr Ed:

You will note from kaelonj's post that the only adult temperature that falls into your human soup range is for adult swim lessons. Any adult activity other than that is well below 86.

So, it is fair to say that unless you are standing around doing nothing and/or receiving instruction on how to swim, 86 is an unhealthy and unnatural temperature for fitness activity.

This forum is for USMS swimmers and friends. Most swimmers don't find swimming in hot water comfortable. 86 might be fine for that first 100. I know 78 takes a lap or two to get used to. But, 86 will wear you out in a hurry for a legitimate workout.

Why don't you do a 3000+ workout in 80 one day at a real pool and then the same workout the next day in 86. I suspect you will immediately notice a difference in how you swam. Gasping for air and sweating profusely is not a good workout plan.

Blog Entries
    Swimming pools at these facilities should be treated as a limited resource, like any other piece of exercise equipment. Doubtful you'd see the indoor track used for yoga, aerobics, etc. Unfortunately, although these are lap pools, it is the minority of members at these facilities who actually are lap swimmers The obvious solution is to have a separate pool for these other activites.

i asked todays temp.was 28c i think is 84 f was ok cos i get cramps if too cold.
    live to swim,,,,,swim to live

Wink Dearest Mr. Geek,

Apparently you failed to notice that I suggested a temperature of 83° as a reasonable compromise, given the fact that some people like 86°, and others like 80°.

In my first post on this subject, I mentioned the fact that most lap swimmers are not interested in compromise.

Thanks for providing evidence to prove my point.

Of course, as I also mentioned earlier, the best solution to this problem would be separate pools for people who like to swim for fun, and those whose approach to swimming is more like work.

Blog Entries
    As aquageek pointed out, this is the USMS website; I'm sure there are websites and discussion forums for people who prefer to float in the pool.

And while it's beyond the scope of a single post to justify our sport, I will say that most of us don't consider our swimming "work."

Blog Entries
    It takes a lot of work to be a good swimmer but becoming a good swimmer certainly isn't like going to work.

Participating Member

Re: Is your pool too hot !

i live in florida too, at la fitness they keep turning it up and down depending on whose complaining that day.i think above 86 degrees they should not be allowed to advertise it as a lap pool.at that temperature it's just a communal toilet for the elderly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg27 View Post
    i live in florida too, at la fitness they keep turning it up and down depending on whose complaining that day.i think above 86 degrees they should not be allowed to advertise it as a lap pool.at that temperature it's just a communal toilet for the elderly
    Above 86 might get too warm for the elderly.

But are they really using it to go to the bathroom?

I live in 'God's Waiting Room' aka Florida so our city pools defer to the 80 year olds doing Jazzercise water talking. Best we get this time of year is from 6-8am when the aerators have been on all night and no sun heating the water. Last week it was 82 at 6am.

Blog Entries

When this happened at my pool, I sent a copy of the article about Fran Crippen's death to the pool management, and reminded them of all the kids that swim there. The temp went back down to normal a short time later.

(RIP, Fran)
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Quote Originally Posted by mjtyson View Post
    When this happened at my pool, I sent a copy of the article about Fran Crippen's death to the pool management, and reminded them of all the kids that swim there. The temp went back down to normal a short time later.
    We took a similar complaint to management a few years ago and their solution was to disallow Masters practices during July and August. It took 5 years to get them to reverse that policy. So be careful how you ask.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Blog Entries

No need Rob. This was my tiny embassy pool and I've since left. That's a fight for others now!
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Jansen View Post
    "Lap swimmers must be working a LOT harder than the manatees."

In our neck of the woods, they are called "water buffalo." I've also heard "shamu" used.

-LBJ
    I call them Hippo Aerobics classes

University pool is 82, which is pretty perfect for me.
    Local town pool (50m but usually strung scm) is 84* which is a bit too warm. The outdoor pool there is a nice temp, but have only swum in it once and am not sure exactly what the temp is.

Blog Entries

I probably already chimed in on this, but currently I'd relish 86 degree water, my pool is currently kept at 88-89, even though they advertise it as 85. It's frustrating.

Participating Member

Re: Is your pool too hot ! YES IT IS!

Just saw this note (because I was wondering if EVERYONE else was having the same problem). Clearly, 86 is inexcusable. It's just dangerous! 78 or 79 is the ideal temp - especially if you're doing USRPT sets. I continually wrestle with my local club (Lifetime Fitness Novi MI) where they keep it at a ridiculous 82 degrees. In addition to accelerating fatigue, high temps also cause problems with water clarity. Workout wise, it’s the same problem - 250 meters into a warming up and you're overheated. Add in some all race paces hundreds and you're grasping for ice or calling 911. Would be helpful if other swimmer (vs non swimmers) would help carry the message. It is somewhat laughable to see non-swimmers doing the "shivering toe touch" in bath water. Always tell them to do a quick 500 warmup and they’ll be warm.

You might recall that world class athlet died during an open water event due to over heating.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Eckley View Post
    My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins.

This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago.

I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ?

Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot.

Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?

82 degrees is on the warmer side of suggested USAS temperatures for competition pools (78-82). It is not dangerously hot. Lifetime Fitness caters to more non-swimmers than swimmers - you are probably lucky they keep the water at 82 and not higher. Many YMCA pools have elderly people constantly griping that 85 degrees is too cold for their water aerobics classes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gobears View Post
    82 degrees is on the warmer side of suggested USAS temperatures for competition pools (78-82). It is not dangerously hot.
    No, definitely not. The pool I swim in is kept at 85 degrees and I can deal with it. If you're used to swimming in a cooler pool it takes a while to adapt, but you can. Just be sure to drink plenty of water. Complaining about 82 degree water seems almost laughable to me. In pools used for a variety of aquatic activities 82 seems almost like a bare minimum to me.

The thing I've found that's nice about training in a warm pool is it doesn't faze you when you've got a competition in warmer water. I've been to meets where people are constantly complaining about the water temp and it's fine for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast