Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding one that can really show anything (other than maybe my knees opening too much). I did come off the wall too low. I guess I can work on that.

YouTube - Dad Pull Out

Maybe shave my back too.
    I agree with Elaine, you are pausing for a bit too long between elements. I would try to execute each element of the pullout with a half second less delay. I had the same thing pointed out to me at 2009 LCM Nats and I have been working on it. Remember, the pull out isn't a contest to see how far from the wall you can go but is instead a way to keep from losing the speed from the pushoff.

Also, you are pushing off the wall too deep which puts you too close to the bottom so you appear to be compensating for that by taking your hands out too wide tot eh side to avoid hitting the bottom. I have the same issue in the pool I swim in the 3ft side.

Yay...finished my first meet in about 22 years yesterday!
    It was a SCY meet with about 50 entries. I had no times posted so I had to swim in the slower heats. To be honest, I had no idea what my times would be. My girls came to cheer me on, although it was a time-trial more than anything.

I swam in four individual events plus a 200 free relay. 50 and 100 breast and 50 and 100 back.

I won all four of my events for my age group and I won both breaststroke events overall.

In the 50 breast, I reverted to my old-school style; rather flat without much undulation, my head barely submerging on the recovery. Although, I did try to keep my knees narrower than I had in the past to try to keep my profile tighter.

I did more undulation in the 100 and tried to ride the wave. Don't know if it helped, but I didn't really gas out. I also don't feel I pushed to much. Not really in either event because there was no competition in the first heats.

I did a 34.06 in the 50 and a 1:18 in the 100. So, as I see it, I'm not far off from the SCY qualifying times. A good coaching session once in a while, breaststroke-focused workouts, more cardio work and about 25lbs to lose, and I'm sure I can drop the time and then some.

Way to go, Zulu! (I know your name is John, but I really like the way Zulu sounds. ) You put in some very impressive times for your first meet in 22 years! Keep us posted in the Breaststroke Lane when you make NQT's!

By the way, I made it in the 50 breaststroke, but later found out the Peacthree City Pentathlon meet doesn't count for "Event Rankings", afterall. And, it won't appear in "Individual Results", either. This was the note posted about the meet:
    September 25, 2010 - Peachtree City Pentathlon - SCY
    Note: For the Peachtree City Pentathlon; only two times had sufficient timing system coverage to be submitted for Top Ten or Record consideration. 103.13.3 A valid time must be measured by automatic equipment, semi-automatic equipment (two buttons), or at least two watches. One-watch time cannot be included. Times must include 2 decimal places (valid to hundredths).

Rob Copeland told me I could still use my qualifying time for Nationals, but I was disappointed the meet doesn't "count" for anything else. The next SCY meet to count (in the Atlanta area) won't be until March!

Anyway, I will need until March to qualify in the 100 and 200! You have less time to shave off than I do!

Good luck!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Thanks Elaniak. Everyone calls me Zulu, btw.

I'm going to focus on 50, 100, and 200 Breast as well as 100 and 200 I.M. Hopefully, I'll qualify for something. My first year back in the game. I'm going to have to push. But, I'm the type of person who needs aggressive goals.

I got to play chaser last night at my daughters' practice to push an older kid in breaststroke. I had been doing drills in an open lane. She asked if I would swim with this teenager to push him. Mostly breast and some I'm. We had to do 5 x 300 in the middle of the workout. It was funny to actually be doing workouts with someone else for once.

I need help finding a drill to help a stroke flaw I have.I was just at a clinic by Megan Jendrick(great person by the way) and she said I was pointing my arms too far down at the end of my recovery so that I was going too deep.This is a chronic problem I have.Mindfulness does not seem to be enough to consistently correct it.Any suggestions?
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

When I extend my arms forward I try to tell myself to keep them parallel to the water surface, or to try to skim along the water surface. This seems to work for me - maybe it will for you.

When I extend my arms forwards I try to tell myself to keep them parallel to the water surface. I try to skim my hands along the water surface. Maybe this will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I need help finding a drill to help a stroke flaw I have.I was just at a clinic by Megan Jendrick(great person by the way) and she said I was pointing my arms too far down at the end of my recovery so that I was going too deep.This is a chronic problem I have.Mindfulness does not seem to be enough to consistently correct it.Any suggestions?
    You have a stroke flaw??? If you do, it sure doesn't seem to slow you down!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member Karen Duggan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Allen, you might want to try a 3/4 pull instead of a full pull? This will keep you from going to far back, and subsequently down (in your case).
    K.Duggan

Very Active Member

Does anyone know of any solid strength routines specifically designed for breaststroke?
    "Think of your breaststroke as a jewel: You never hammer it, you only polish it."

Blog Entries

This showed up on my technique videos done with Dr. G, as well.

My two cents' worth: it is due to shoulder inflexibility (inability to keep arms at surface when face is down at conclusion of stroke cycle), and swimming "lower" in the water. With me, this problem is less pronounced when (a) I am rested and riding higher in the water, and (b) when swimming BR arms with fins/dolphin kick.

YMMV.
    This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

here's a link to a video with Susan Von Der Lippe & David Guthrie
    breaking the 200 SCM breastroke WRs
    Men 50 - 54 & Women 45 - 49

http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?b=12601

Boy, I want to be careful with this post. Sometimes we all get to hung up on the latest drill or swim tech. Andy's video shows you two very different strokes in this respect. Susan has a distinct pull and kick. She is a power swimmer with great arm strength and leg power but they are somewhat separate in application which is absolutely fine for her. David is more of a combined application where the pull and kick are concerned, at least from deck view you can,t really separate them from each other they flow a little more together. What works for Susan is slightly different than what works for Daivd, but the results are really the same. If you watch any breastroke swim video race you see many different head positions, pull catches (look at Soni with her almost "superman" looking quick pull with the arms staying well apart in the recovery). Drills are great and watching other swimmers is very beneficial but don't forget to learn how to race. Believe me Susan and David sure know how to do that.
    Last edited by Robert Strand; November 28th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Very Active Member

Try the "thumb drill" taught by KPN. Point your thumbs up on recovery and make sure they are above the water on recovery. It forces you to stay high in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by swoomer View Post
    Try the "thumb drill" taught by KPN. Point your thumbs up on recovery and make sure they are above the water on recovery. It forces you to stay high in the water.
    Thanks,that sounds worth a try.
    Allen

Had a great breaststroke workout tonight. Mostly kicking, mostly drills, some sprinting. I focused on my kick because I really want to narrow my knees and try to keep things hidden. I'm also trying to get my body movement more into it, but in a positive way. I concentrated on keeping my head down and streamlining as much as I could.

I love breaststroke practices!!!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

thought I'd bump all the lanes to the front page to encourage folks to comment in their lanes, why does the breastroke lane have the most comments and views

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    why does the breastroke lane have the most comments and views
    We are passionate about being frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    We are passionate about being frogs!
    YES(we need a bouncing frog smiley.)But also people have a lot of questions about BR,and we love to talk about it.
    Allen

Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast